diy pole repair kit advice

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Dave Red Leader has hes the man (y)

Bish

contact the pole doctor i used the wraps and to be honest the pole is stronger now and i did it myself at less then half the cost

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Site Supporter
contact the pole doctor i used the wraps and to be honest the pole is stronger now and i did it myself at less then half the cost
I think those Pole Doctor sleeves are shrink tube - yes? I have used shrink tube to repair whip sections (See HERE) and small section rods. But it really depends on the type of break and the integrity of the surrounding material. If the break is suitable, shrink tube is by far the easiest method to use. Doubling it up can make it stronger, as shown in the link.

Ralph.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've done a couple using carbon fibre cloth and so far no complaints.
However, it doesnt matter how careful you are you will struggle to get the same finish as the pros.

It's a bit like doing a repair on a car panel and spraying it with a rattle can. The repair can be as good as any body shop but the finish won't compare :)

dumdum

I've done a couple using carbon fibre cloth and so far no complaints.
However, it doesnt matter how careful you are you will struggle to get the same finish as the pros.

It's a bit like doing a repair on a car panel and spraying it with a rattle can. The repair can be as good as any body shop but the finish won't compare :)
100% agree there Dave! The edges they get are pretty damn amazing!

Philhunt161

I have used the easy composite kits and have had great success just take a bit more time than the pros but the results are great in Fact did one today didn’t bother to try and join the break but sleeved the section and then did a wrap probably lost 70mm but no big deal.....sense of satisfaction but not in the same league as the professionals I must admit but the results seem to be ok

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Site Supporter
You have to remember the 'pros' are using mandrels and thin carbon fibre tape to repair a pole. A DIY fix is just that, and is usually achieved by using woven mat. However there is no reason why a DIY fix can't be made to look neat and clean. As for using spray cans, a good finish is possible, spraying is about technique and the same applies whether you are using a spray gun or an rattle can, you need to know how to spray paint - it is not just a case of pointing and pressing the button.

Here is a picture of my repaired pole section, yes, you can see a shadow of where the repair is, but even if a 'pro' had done it, it would still be visible.

I am not saying my repair is as good as a repair done on a mandrel under bespoke conditions, and if I had an expensive pole, I would have had it done that way, but for a repair on an everyday pole, like mine, A good DIY job can be effective and does not have to be ugly.

Ralph.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I have done a few repairs using the carbon mods kit, and achieved the same sort of results as Ralph. I too made a jig to align the broken sections. As dave has said you will struggle to make as neat a job as a pro repairer but to be able to make an old damaged pole serviceable again for the cost of a kit is worth the time and effort.

tedstriker

do these kits work on cracked male sections too rather than just a break in the section?

Blob

Putting a wrap on a cracked male joint is not advisable as it will increase the diameter of that male joint so it won't fit into the female. Much better to repair male joint by aralditing a couple of inch piece of scrap carbon inside the male joint.

lord von prong

hey thanks for the replies guys and sorry its taken so long I forgot to add that Ive done some repairs myself and as you say they are never like the pros but is they a way of masking off the resin so i can have a neat line instead of it spreading up the pole?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Fishing Talk 6
Dave Fishing Talk 32
M Fishing Talk 3
M Fishing Talk 7
H Fishing Talk 13