Disabled Anglers

Scribe

Site Supporter
Evening Geoff Yes I do fingers x'd should be able to manage more than session (y)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Are there any disabled anglers still using the forums on maggotdrowners?, it was qiuet in here before Jimmy B announced that the ukdmfc was finishing, since then the disabled forum has been totally dead,is it a) because there are no disabled anglers left on the forums,
b) because without the ukdmfc there is nothing to talk about,
Or c) disabled anglers just cant be bothered to talk to each other any more?
Yes there are/is. I've just joined and for the last 15 years I have been registered disabled, have a blue badge, and qualify for the motability scheme. I have continued to fish as regularly as I can (hospital and doctor's appointments permitting). My biggest problem is not so much finding fishing venues with easily accessed facilities, but waters/rivers that I can access considering my limited mobility. Another issue linked with mobility is distance and bank time. I'm pretty much stuck to venues within a 25 mile radius of where I live due to my need to be back home and connected to hospital equipment in the afternoons which uses a 230v mains supply. I can no longer go for any session which lasts for more than 5 hours.

Oddly enough I was out at a local fishery about a fortnight ago and got chatting with another disabled guy. This one was on a mobility scooter, so he was even more restricted than me in terms of what he could carry to the peg, but his scooter allowed him to access more remote swims. The downside was that he had to carry a bolognese rod tand a limited amount of equipment that fitted his scooter. I had a good session trying out some recently acquired rods with carp to around 7lb on method and later sweetcorn.

I'm pretty lucky having two local venues which have good disabled facilities, Monk Lakes being one of them. I think the biggest practical limitation for me is the distance between my car and the swim/peg. I use a small trolley for my seatbox, trays etc, but even at the lake I regularly fish, there are only one or two swims out of the 30 or so that I can ever get to. Monk lakes is different as they had a Lotto subsidy a while back and a lot of their swims are well built and easily accessible. As my bank time is restricted I like to have pretty active sessions, so I tend to pick match style venues for the most enjoyment.

baz1

The last time I met up with Dirk Williams, we mentioned this subject of non action on the disability pages. We have a couple of opinions as to why it has gradually died off. First,. there was a period, when every comment was attacked by some one who totality disagreed with that comment. This actually destroyed the discussion, so people did not comment anymore. Secondly, in the last few years there has been a vast increase in commercial fisheries around the country. Result. Easy parking behind your peg and no walking. Also with the increase in commercials everyone has one near their home, so obviously little traveling to get there.
I would like to take this opportunity to Thank Jimmy B, for all the hard work and the arguments, he had to deal with when running the disabled matches. He was a hero in my eyes for putting up with the moaning he always got, whatever he did there was always some one who moaned. Also for all the help that he gave me as I could not get to my peg without help. Thank you JIm.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
The last time I met up with Dirk Williams, we mentioned this subject of non action on the disability pages. We have a couple of opinions as to why it has gradually died off. First,. there was a period, when every comment was attacked by some one who totality disagreed with that comment. This actually destroyed the discussion, so people did not comment anymore. Secondly, in the last few years there has been a vast increase in commercial fisheries around the country. Result. Easy parking behind your peg and no walking. Also with the increase in commercials everyone has one near their home, so obviously little traveling to get there.
I would like to take this opportunity to Thank Jimmy B, for all the hard work and the arguments, he had to deal with when running the disabled matches. He was a hero in my eyes for putting up with the moaning he always got, whatever he did there was always some one who moaned. Also for all the help that he gave me as I could not get to my peg without help. Thank you JIm.
A shame that debates have dried up here because I enjoy a good exchange of views. While what you say about the expansion of commercial waters is true, personally I still like the challenge represented by different fishing venues. This year I have decided to join a local angling club with a number of lakes and rivers that still fall within my self imposed 25 mile radius. This I hope will give me a wider variety of challenges and species of fish. I will of course continue to use my local pond to test out new rod and reel combos and tactics, not forgetting the social aspect of that site which I have been fishing for about 12 years now. Chatting with other anglers can be an uplifting experience even at my age. Coming into contact with newcomers to the sport who can use a few tips also makes part of the day too!

Vinny41

I am a disabled angler. Fishing from a wheelchair poses a few problems as you can imagine. I am new to the forum but have often in the past looked at the threads when looking for info about tackle etc. I have joined a local fishing club as the access is pretty good and I have a neighbour who is also a member.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I am a disabled angler. Fishing from a wheelchair poses a few problems as you can imagine. I am new to the forum but have often in the past looked at the threads when looking for info about tackle etc. I have joined a local fishing club as the access is pretty good and I have a neighbour who is also a member.
Welcome!
I'm lucky in that I am not a wheelchair user (yet) but my bank time is limited to a maximum of 5 hours due to me having to connect to hospital equipment at home in the afternoons. Now, if only I could find a way to hook the machine up to the car battery! My mobility is strictly limited so I have to pick venues with an adjacent car park that is near (pretty much on top of) a swim. I live in the south east and there are few commercial fisheries or clubs with disabled facilities/access. I've just joined a local fishing club too. They have a couple of venues I can use, one of those being a river, so at least I can practice some of my old river techniques.

I have a friend who is confined to a mobility scooter, but, like me, has had a love of angling for many years. He manages just fine with a telescopic rod. He is obviously restricted in how much he can bring to the swim, but that didn't stop him landing a 14lb common carp 3 weeks ago. He has had a crane/lift system fitted in the back of his car. This handles all the heavy lifting. Neither he nor I have a WAV

juttle

Site Supporter
Well, there’s a surprise! I’ve been lurking on here for years but, until a couple of days ago, never posted. I’m more of a reader than a constant contributor! I’ve never noticed this section before, probably because it says “new” on the listing.

Right, the point of all this waffle, I’m disabled, bomb damage that turned into arthritis, and manage to get out for a few hours most weeks. General coarse most of the year, pike in the colder months. I’m on crutches so walking any distance is out. I’ve got my gear down to a fine art, chair fitted with rucksack straps, two carabiners on straps on the front to hold my one bag. My rod goes through the handles of the bag and all the odds and sods get stuffed in the chair. I work on the basis of “if I can’t carry it in one go, I don’t need it!”

There’s not many places in south Devon that I would consider disabled friendly but I’ve found a few places that I can manage. I’m also fortunate enough to run a campervan so myself and a mate can usually manage a couple of runs to fish the Severn or Avon each year looking for pike! The old blue badge comes in handy when parking outside strange tackle shops when looking for local knowledge!

Right, off to become a maggotdrowning supporter!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Well, there’s a surprise! I’ve been lurking on here for years but, until a couple of days ago, never posted. I’m more of a reader than a constant contributor! I’ve never noticed this section before, probably because it says “new” on the listing.

Right, the point of all this waffle, I’m disabled, bomb damage that turned into arthritis, and manage to get out for a few hours most weeks. General coarse most of the year, pike in the colder months. I’m on crutches so walking any distance is out. I’ve got my gear down to a fine art, chair fitted with rucksack straps, two carabiners on straps on the front to hold my one bag. My rod goes through the handles of the bag and all the odds and sods get stuffed in the chair. I work on the basis of “if I can’t carry it in one go, I don’t need it!”

There’s not many places in south Devon that I would consider disabled friendly but I’ve found a few places that I can manage. I’m also fortunate enough to run a campervan so myself and a mate can usually manage a couple of runs to fish the Severn or Avon each year looking for pike! The old blue badge comes in handy when parking outside strange tackle shops when looking for local knowledge!

Right, off to become a maggotdrowning supporter!
Welcome. I'm in the south east (Kent) and fishing venue options for me are about the same as yours with my limited mobility. Fortunately I'm not on crutches so I can drag a small barrow a short distance. I run my bankside enjoyment from a seatbox as standing up is not really a workable option as I tend to fall down a lot, but coarse fishing is my love too! I've recently started method fishing at commercial venues which can keep me quite busy for the limited hours I can stay at the bank. Haven't fished for pike for quite a while, but still have my old lure gear.

juttle

Site Supporter
I’ve got loads of lures kicking about but they’ve not had a swim for ages as that requires walking about, something that I’ve given up! I’ll use a few every now and again, usually at the end of a session as my fishing mate doesn’t appreciate me thrashing the water to foam all around us both. Apparently it upsets the bream!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I’ve got loads of lures kicking about but they’ve not had a swim for ages as that requires walking about, something that I’ve given up! I’ll use a few every now and again, usually at the end of a session as my fishing mate doesn’t appreciate me thrashing the water to foam all around us both. Apparently it upsets the bream!
I need someone with a boat so I can just sit in the back with my rod and lure gently trailing while he cruises slowly up and down the river passing ideal "lie in wait" spots. Mind you, when I fished the Shannon for bream a few years ago, a local guy came along in a rowboat one day with a forked stick with which he caught plenty of pike! I think zander are about the only coarse fish species that are not governed by the catch and release rules in this country

Vinny41

I haven't done any lure fishing since I left the East Midlands. I'm not (or should I say my body) so keen on the cold weather anymore, so tend to do more vlog/video watching of more than actual fishing. I am pleased to find a few venues in and around Hampshire that I can access even from the w/chair. The big commercial fisheries are quite helpful when you get in touch about access. I would however like to do some river fishing again, so will start to search. Are there any disabled members local to Basingstoke?

bryan white

Site Supporter
I joined wey valley disabled angling club this year..main aim is to get disabled anglers on the bank .
Assisting with carrying gear and helping set up.
Been really good for me personally..brought a bit of passion back into my angling which I lost after my mum died a few years ago.
Numbers of disabled anglers attending are still low though,hopefully not for too long

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Are there any disabled anglers still using the forums on maggotdrowners?, it was qiuet in here before Jimmy B announced that the ukdmfc was finishing, since then the disabled forum has been totally dead,is it a) because there are no disabled anglers left on the forums,
b) because without the ukdmfc there is nothing to talk about,
Or c) disabled anglers just cant be bothered to talk to each other any more?
I’m disabled but I’m not in a wheelchair and I have two arms so the general public would not see me as such. I have restricted use of my hands and my general mobility is variable. I am on PIP and have a disabled fishing licence.

I am very grateful for the fact that there are now so many venues where you can park near your peg and where the ground is fairly flat. I agree with the comment about platforms being narrow. With my dodgy balance it’s tricky moving round my chair or my seat box. In general though access gets better and better in my experience.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I’m disabled but I’m not in a wheelchair and I have two arms so the general public would not see me as such. I have restricted use of my hands and my general mobility is variable. I am on PIP and have a disabled fishing licence.

I am very grateful for the fact that there are now so many venues where you can park near your peg and where the ground is fairly flat. I agree with the comment about platforms being narrow. With my dodgy balance it’s tricky moving round my chair or my seat box. In general though access gets better and better in my experience.
I agree that commercial venues are improving in terms of swim accessibility, but rivers will always remain a bit of a problem. Like you I tend to cement my arse to the seat box as standing up is not a good idea for me. I do miss being able to net the double figure stuff but chances are now that they'll land me in the water before I get them on the unhooking mat.

juttle

Site Supporter
I much prefer rivers to still waters or commercials, but agree access is an issue. I know a couple of river spots where I can park near enough to the water to make it worth going, but they’re a four hour drive from home so not visited often. My usual Stillwater spot is a bit too far away from the parking, but with a couple of breather stops along the way, once I’m in position that’s where I stay. All unhooking is done in the net with the mat across my knees which is fine for anything up to 16 - 18lbs. I’m not a carper but sometimes they do come along at that size although the majority of my fishing involves silvers. For winter piking I have several spots which are conveniently right alongside picnic tables. As there’s not a lot of picnicking going on in the depths of winter I position myself in such a way as to be able to use the table as a workbench for unhooking any sizeable pike that I catch. My mate throws a bucket of water over the table as we leave!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I much prefer rivers to still waters or commercials, but agree access is an issue. I know a couple of river spots where I can park near enough to the water to make it worth going, but they’re a four hour drive from home so not visited often. My usual Stillwater spot is a bit too far away from the parking, but with a couple of breather stops along the way, once I’m in position that’s where I stay. All unhooking is done in the net with the mat across my knees which is fine for anything up to 16 - 18lbs. I’m not a carper but sometimes they do come along at that size although the majority of my fishing involves silvers. For winter piking I have several spots which are conveniently right alongside picnic tables. As there’s not a lot of picnicking going on in the depths of winter I position myself in such a way as to be able to use the table as a workbench for unhooking any sizeable pike that I catch. My mate throws a bucket of water over the table as we leave!
I'm lucky fishing the river Medway, as the club water I use has parking within around 30 feet of a couple of swims. Other parts of the river are more difficult to access even in the centre of Maidstone. I will be getting more time in fishing stillwaters for skimmers and bream this year as until now, nearly all my commercial fishing has been for carp and F1s. Even so My trusty Drennan Speedex fits nicely over my knees too, and has been able to handle everything up to just double figures. I have a bigger net for the larger catches, but like you need a handy feature to aid unhooking, particularly if I want to get them into a weigh sling. I do have a cradle which helps, but that is a lot of weight to carry around and won't fit on my small barrow with my other gear in 1 trip.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Godalming has a section of the Wey at Broadford and Farnham has a section at Yateley Summer pit on the Blackwater that has car parking and easy access for disabled anglers. Other sections are available in both clubs but I have fished these two.