Disabled Anglers

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Do you still have my number Kev?

Scribe

Site Supporter
Evening Geoff Yes I do fingers x'd should be able to manage more than session (y)

Cobweb

Are there any disabled anglers still using the forums on maggotdrowners?, it was qiuet in here before Jimmy B announced that the ukdmfc was finishing, since then the disabled forum has been totally dead,is it a) because there are no disabled anglers left on the forums,
b) because without the ukdmfc there is nothing to talk about,
Or c) disabled anglers just cant be bothered to talk to each other any more?
Yes there are/is. I've just joined and for the last 15 years I have been registered disabled, have a blue badge, and qualify for the motability scheme. I have continued to fish as regularly as I can (hospital and doctor's appointments permitting). My biggest problem is not so much finding fishing venues with easily accessed facilities, but waters/rivers that I can access considering my limited mobility. Another issue linked with mobility is distance and bank time. I'm pretty much stuck to venues within a 25 mile radius of where I live due to my need to be back home and connected to hospital equipment in the afternoons which uses a 230v mains supply. I can no longer go for any session which lasts for more than 5 hours.

Oddly enough I was out at a local fishery about a fortnight ago and got chatting with another disabled guy. This one was on a mobility scooter, so he was even more restricted than me in terms of what he could carry to the peg, but his scooter allowed him to access more remote swims. The downside was that he had to carry a bolognese rod tand a limited amount of equipment that fitted his scooter. I had a good session trying out some recently acquired rods with carp to around 7lb on method and later sweetcorn.

I'm pretty lucky having two local venues which have good disabled facilities, Monk Lakes being one of them. I think the biggest practical limitation for me is the distance between my car and the swim/peg. I use a small trolley for my seatbox, trays etc, but even at the lake I regularly fish, there are only one or two swims out of the 30 or so that I can ever get to. Monk lakes is different as they had a Lotto subsidy a while back and a lot of their swims are well built and easily accessible. As my bank time is restricted I like to have pretty active sessions, so I tend to pick match style venues for the most enjoyment.