Disabled Anglers

groundhog

Life Survivor
Site Supporter
Are there any disabled anglers still using the forums on maggotdrowners?, it was qiuet in here before Jimmy B announced that the ukdmfc was finishing, since then the disabled forum has been totally dead,is it a) because there are no disabled anglers left on the forums,
b) because without the ukdmfc there is nothing to talk about,
Or c) disabled anglers just cant be bothered to talk to each other any more?

tonerain

Site Supporter
I'm disabled and have a fourth alternative:
d) Thanks to considerate angling clubs AND the growth of commercials there are numbers of disabled-friendly locations for us to fish.

I have to acknowledge that my days of lugging my gear half a mile to my chosen peg are over.
But the 3 clubs I'm in, plus Partridge Lakes, provide me with enough safe pegs with close parking to keep me interested.

My pet hate are the fishing platforms - the 4' by 4' type that jut into the pool.
I have to use a walking stick in my right hand all the time and getting on them can sometimes be a dicey performance.
A couple of time I've ended up in the drink!
I prefer natural banks where I can keep 3 feet away from the water.
And where do you stick a brolly on a wooden platform?

NevG

I've been hijacked by my grandson to take him fishing, he has Cerebral Palsy and his eyesight is terrible even with glasses also his hands cant grip like we can so I'll take him to the Milton Green Fishery near Chester. The ground is flat and he can catch roach and other small stuff in the margins all day long. So a non fishing day for me as I will have to help him all the time. It is difficult finding places to fish when in a wheelchair as I can now appreciate.:(

My grandson can be a little swine at times, he makes a plan and everyone has to adhere to it, just got to pick a Sunday that's not too hot for him now before he starts badgering me.:)

tonerain

Site Supporter
Tonerain where are you from ? partridge lakes is about 15 minutes from me, which clubs are you in ?
Sorry, I somehow missed your question to me despite visiting the site daily.
I live in Sale and am a member of Lymm, Altrincham and Jodrell Bank clubs.

warrington63

I am a bailiff for Lymm, I you need any info or help message me, I am also disabled, hobbling around with a walking stick,

John M

this is my first post, I don't usually do forums, but it is very nice to see a disabled section. I just started again this season after a 10 year lay off after an accident, it's a bit of a struggle still but well worth the pain.

ukzero1

Gorrenny spare tackle for mi maggits Mister?
Site Supporter
I'm bailiff myself (although able bodied), there are steps that you can take if you think your waters are 'unfriendly' to disabled anglers. Contact your local council raising the issues concerned. I did and got a fishery to alter certain pegs and make the ground suitable for wheelchairs. 7 pegs from 24 are now 'disabled friendly'
Have a read of this thread and see what can be done....

Not sure how to help.

T.I

Site Supporter
A number of fisheries I go to are friendly and I am positive staff would go out of there way to be accomodating.

Rarely see disabled anglers though.

I've assumed travelling to the fishery is the biggest obstacle.

Shame cos I swear angling is a great 'remedy'.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I'm disabled and have a fourth alternative:
d) Thanks to considerate angling clubs AND the growth of commercials there are numbers of disabled-friendly locations for us to fish.

I have to acknowledge that my days of lugging my gear half a mile to my chosen peg are over.
But the 3 clubs I'm in, plus Partridge Lakes, provide me with enough safe pegs with close parking to keep me interested.

My pet hate are the fishing platforms - the 4' by 4' type that jut into the pool.
I have to use a walking stick in my right hand all the time and getting on them can sometimes be a dicey performance.
A couple of time I've ended up in the drink!
I prefer natural banks where I can keep 3 feet away from the water.
And where do you stick a brolly on a wooden platform?
Bit late in replying Tonerain but I have one of these for my brolly on wood or concrete platforms.
Preston Innovations Offbox 36 - Mega Brolly Arms – Chapmans Angling