Digitizing Photos/negatives/slides

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Chervil

The ION only does 35mm, it doesn't do other formats such as 110 etc. That's why I didn't bother with it.

Chervil

Site Supporter
@Chervil

The ION only does 35mm, it doesn't do other formats such as 110 etc. That's why I didn't bother with it.
To be honest, it was £21, when the cheapest I could find it anywhere else is £44. So I thought I would use it for the slides and use the Epson for everything else. Doesn't seem like that will happen now, so I'm in for the long slog.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
When I first started, I had an A4 scanner, but at that time you could buy an added extra that fitted on to it to allow scanning of slides /photo's from any format. I don't know if these are available now but it might be worth a look.

Scalper

NCP....
Site Supporter
Account Locked
Old Photographic Media...

Store it in the dark with average humidity/temperature and not in a draw that has been put together with glue!!!

Even if the images are digitized and backed up safely I strongly feel that the originals still have to be looked after!!!

Hard drives, USB stix, memory cards, and discs - can fail at any time (a mere 5 years) with little or no warning so multiple backups are always a very prudent measure to take, as with all your data!!!...

Saving to removable media - Always go for a solid brand name like Verbatim, TDK, Sony, Memorex, Fuji as such.....

Cost a bit more but how much is your data worth???...

Chervy- Try the A4 device scanning the 110's one image at a time etc using the 35mm holder and increasing the resolution so u can crop it afterwards in a paint package... Worth a try and may save u some dosh!?!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I haven`t a clue what any of you are talking about. Like many I have loads of slides and snaps that I would like to back
up, really wish I was a bit more tech savvy:(

biggsy

Site Supporter
I haven`t a clue what any of you are talking about. Like many I have loads of slides and snaps that I would like to back
I'm sure the guys on here would help if you needed any advice :)(y)

Scalper

NCP....
Site Supporter
Account Locked
Well, Pompy Gitty - try reading a fortnightly £2 mag called 'Computer Active.' It may take some time to understand the content but it will gradually sink in and that's always good!

It's written so simply that even I can understand it!!! :oops:

Yeah, if anyone is in the same boat at some time and needing pc information then I'm sure the MD'ers will always be there with plentiful amounts of advice!!!... We were all in the very same situation at one point!!!...

Chervil

Site Supporter
Old Photographic Media...

Store it in the dark with average humidity/temperature and not in a draw that has been put together with glue!!!

Even if the images are digitized and backed up safely I strongly feel that the originals still have to be looked after!!!

Hard drives, USB stix, memory cards, and discs - can fail at any time (a mere 5 years) with little or no warning so multiple backups are always a very prudent measure to take, as with all your data!!!...

Saving to removable media - Always go for a solid brand name like Verbatim, TDK, Sony, Memorex, Fuji as such.....

Cost a bit more but how much is your data worth???...

Chervy- Try the A4 device scanning the 110's one image at a time etc using the 35mm holder and increasing the resolution so u can crop it afterwards in a paint package... Worth a try and may save u some dosh!?!
Thanks again. Can you recommend a paint type program? Not just for this, as I want to get back into my photography again this year. I don't want anything over complicated and, if necessary, prefer to buy something "one off".

Chervil

Site Supporter
Now you know what I feel like when people talk about pole fishing. It always reminds me of this.
0a57942917aeaf6f7aa8a6bee479da43.jpg

ukzero1

Site Supporter
What do you want the paint program to do? If it's just resizing and basic editing there's a few 'freebies' out there, if you want it to do a little more there's the one in Windows (Paint). If you're looking for something a bit more heavier, then either PhotoShop or PaintShop Pro.

Chervil

Site Supporter
The problem I have is that until I start up again properly, I'm not 100% sure what is going to be the best option. I know that some say that Photoshop can take a lot of learning. Think I will have a look at the two freebies you mention and, if needed will look at one of the commercial ones.

Thanks again guys

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Chervil

It's all a learning curve mate. I found Photoshop difficult, PaintShop Pro took a little getting used to but I'm happy with it. (it was bought as a present). Those freebies will give you a good result, it just takes a little practice.

Scalper

NCP....
Site Supporter
Account Locked
Additionally Chervy; about binning ur poor quality media..... A c*appy image is still better than none at all!!!!

Especially when the images are of family and/or your youth!!!

A £100 scanner will albeit, be well up to the task you want to do but maybe quite slowly at a decent resolution - but still well worth the wait!!!!!!

I've scanned many thousands of prints, negs etc on a flatbed scanner and with a 99.9% success rate...........

Whatever method you choose you really need to get it right unless you want to do it all over again!!!

The media you have should be treated as having a finite lifespan so as the above sentence says!!!

Your families additions in the future will be most grateful if they have a solid record of their past family members and how they lived...

Programs - Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop Elements - Both around the ton!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSP is the better-specified prog and not too far away from the full Photoshops abilities!!!

Last edited:

biggsy

Site Supporter
Your families additions in the future will be most grateful if they have a solid record of their past family members and how they lived...
Very good advice Scalper, the wife lost both her parents last year and clearing the house we found a few old black/white photo's of relatives from 1920's with
no way of identifying them.

Scalper

NCP....
Site Supporter
Account Locked
biggsy - I've collected 2000 plus images of my home town in the olde year's past times and they are very thought evoking and valuable holders of times past!!!