Desperate Dam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallelujahal

Really cold and it was pretty desperate up on Horn's Dam today (on the Long Lake)- I personally scored my first ever blank up there. A few tugs and takes, but nothing proper, and no fish stayed on my hook long enough. I fished the waggler using both pellet and sweetcorn on the hook - a complete waste of time. Then fished the banjo feeder with micro pellets and pellet and then sweetcorn on the hook. Only the latter seemed to get any interest.Sadly I was not able to convert them. So it's back to the drawing board. Any ideas on how to keep catching in the cold? Is it me or is it the venue I wonder? Seems like the fish have just switched off completely up there?
AL

Last edited:

Irishhybrids

Need to change tactics, fish for bites I would suggest a small Cage Feeder with a low feed dark Groundbait and double Pinkie of a Dead Red should get tne bites coming.
The trouble with targeting Carp at this time of yr Is they can become very localised in one or two pegs and don't move .

jononcb

Small maggot feeder with single or double red maggot on the hook.
now is the time to start scaling down hook and line sizes and maggots come into play more!!

GH60

Silver fox
Fished my local lake today (not commercial) and took about 25lb of skimmers on a 10m line... too windy to go out further. Fed a few softened 2mm pellets with a few maggots and 3 pieces of sweetcorn via small cad pot and alternated between 4mm expanders, maggots and sweetcorn on the hook at dead depth. Fished for just under 5 hours, occasionally feeding for bites - a good result for that water on a bitterly cold and windy day.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
It was hard on the donut there yesterday as well Al. Switching between corn, red maggot and 4mil pellet down the edge gave me a few roach and a skimmer. Carp didn't want to know. Keep feed to absolute minimum. Red maggot was best. Winter's arrived mate.[:D]

hallelujahal

Ah, didn't recognise you floatfisher, down on the doughnut. I think the thing that really threw me was how tentative and gentle the bites were? I'm not too disappointed as I recognise that the weather has really taken the edge off things, it just means that I've got to rethink what I'm doing. Am thinking about getting a pole, what would you recommend? Best regards, AL

AnglerPaul

Use Maggots, Pinkies, Casters, Chopped worm and Squatts.

Corn stays at home in the winter (for me anyway)

Last edited:

hallelujahal

Originally posted by AnglerPaul

Use Maggots, Pinkies, Casters, Chopped worm and Squatts.

Corn stays at home in the winter (for me anyway)
Yes, I think that's the way to go, though sweetcorn has always been my goto bait for Horn's Dam so far.[:)]

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
For me sweet corn is an all year bait and in winter can be a real killer normally in winter I'll feed a few 4 mm pelletes and a couple of pieces of corn and sit it out for a fish.
A second option would be to feed a golf ball of groundbait with a few micros and a couple of grains of corn and again sit it out. Also try bread on a straight lead and feed nothing you can cover a fair amount of water like this and generally if you find one fish there will be others (not always true).

In a match this time of year your only looking for about two fish an hour and that will usually be enough for a section so anything else is a bonus.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Originally posted by hallelujahal

Ah, didn't recognise you floatfisher, down on the doughnut. I think the thing that really threw me was how tentative and gentle the bites were? I'm not too disappointed as I recognise that the weather has really taken the edge off things, it just means that I've got to rethink what I'm doing. Am thinking about getting a pole, what would you recommend? Best regards, AL
That's because I wasn't there Al, I was there on Monday.[:D] Had the entire complex to myself. I'll pm you with my thoughts on poles. Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Geoff P The Corner Peg 0
F Fishing Talk 8
RedhillPhil The Club House 105
O Fishing Talk 1
N Fishing Talk 16