Daiwa tournament XLS.

Gar

What are your thoughts on this pole, thinking of buying second
Hand.

dubdog

Daiwa stopped doing the xls version of poles. Have to make up your own mind up why they did this.

crayfishtraps

Site Supporter
nice pole..tried at angling direct yesterday...plenty of spares available

Scribe

Site Supporter
I have had my Whisker XLS for around 18 months now and if the Tournament is anything like the Whisker, then I would say go for it. Handles a treat for me even at 16 metres, I have caught 10 Lb carp on it with an F1 speed kit in with 8-10 elastic and it's handled them no problem. It can take some stick too, we have an area of lilly pads on my club's match lake that a lot won't fish up to because of being snapped off. I have some good days dropping the bait on to a pad then slowly pulling it forward to drop close by and when the float buries apply sideways pressure to steer the carp away. The XLS handled it without drama all day long and I have never been snagged in the pads.

Spadger123

The tourney XLS is a great pole, I have one. It's better than the air and airity XLS, better balance and to be fair stiffer.
I have tried all 3 and bought the pro.
Spares are not a concern either, loads of em about.

Gar

The tourney XLS is a great pole, I have one. It's better than the air and airity XLS, better balance and to be fair stiffer.
I have tried all 3 and bought the pro.
Spares are not a concern either, loads of em about.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Didn't the Tournament set the benchmark for 16m pole and its the same mandrel Daiwa use for all there top range poles still to this day?

Tomboy22

XLS Never really took off Daiwa went back to the original mandril length xls gave extra length but not the rigidity, mate of mine bought the Air xls when it first came out he got rid within a month not as good as the original Air, he bought the original Air.

jasonb

Site Supporter
XLS Never really took off Daiwa went back to the original mandril length xls gave extra length but not the rigidity, mate of mine bought the Air xls when it first came out he got rid within a month not as good as the original Air, he bought the original Air.
The rigidity difference becomes noticeable if you are doing silly things with your pole like slapping or wobbling it around. The air xls is a very nice pole if your doing normal fishing

dubdog

Better off joining the daiwa fan club on Facebook for honest reviews on the daiwa xls poles. Nathan Watson has posted reviews on xls poles.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I haven’t owned one, but have handled all Daiwa flagship poles and much prefer the ‘normal’ versions, nearly everyone I know who bought XLS has moved them on and gone back to the ‘normal’ versions. I have 3 Tournaments and wouldn’t swap any of them for an XLS.

JRW

Site Supporter
I’ve got the Tourney Pro XLS and I don’t like it, but it’s not quite bad enough to get rid. When you’re set up and fishing it’s absolutely fine, the rest of the time it’s a ruddy pain because of the extra 4 inches on the butt sections.

If you buy it pole only you will need to get another bag.

The bag doesn’t fit long ways now in my Mondeo estate.

You need to be careful handling it when it’s packed away because the 4-8 sections rattle about inside more than a ‘normal’ pole. If they drop from one end of the butt to the other the 7 and 8 sections get stuck together. Also the PTFE nose cones on some of the other sections get knocked out.

If you can tolerate these annoying features and get offered a bargain then go for it. I personally would hold out for the standard version.

Gar

Thanks again for your replies ,must say it’s put me off the pole, but I’ll keep looking it’s half the fun.

jasonb

Site Supporter
I’ve got the Tourney Pro XLS and I don’t like it, but it’s not quite bad enough to get rid. When you’re set up and fishing it’s absolutely fine, the rest of the time it’s a ruddy pain because of the extra 4 inches on the butt sections.

If you buy it pole only you will need to get another bag.

The bag doesn’t fit long ways now in my Mondeo estate.

You need to be careful handling it when it’s packed away because the 4-8 sections rattle about inside more than a ‘normal’ pole. If they drop from one end of the butt to the other the 7 and 8 sections get stuck together. Also the PTFE nose cones on some of the other sections get knocked out.

If you can tolerate these annoying features and get offered a bargain then go for it. I personally would hold out for the standard version.
That's odd, you get a longer pole for your money and you complain...now that's a first😀