Daiwa quality whats happened.

AdeR

After a break of 20 odd years I started course fishing again this season .
I did not want to spend a fortune on gear but neither did I want to buy rubbish .
Now when I fished before I was a fan of Daiwa rods and reels , so I decided to go the same route this time .
I brought two Legalis reels a 4012 feeder reel and a 2058 match reel , I also brought a castizm feeder rod , not top range but at a reasonable price.
Got home unpacked the reels like a school boy at xmas and the match reel would do a quarter turn then semi sieze , took it back ( A sixty mile round trip ) and it was replaced with no fuss.
First day using the feeder rod one of the tips broke while playing a bream .

Today the feeder reel started jamming up and totally locks up if the anti reverse is selected , its been used twice and maintained .
So another 60 mile trip tomorrow , I am not a happy bunny .

Am I unlucky or has Daiwa quality gone down the pan ???

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I did not want to spend a fortune on gear but neither did I want to buy rubbish .
Now when I fished before I was a fan of Daiwa rods and reels , so I decided to go the same route this time .
I brought two Legalis reels a 4012 feeder reel and a 2058 match reel , I also brought a castizm feeder rod , not top range but at a reasonable price.
Got home unpacked the reels like a school boy at xmas and the match reel would do a quarter turn then semi sieze , took it back ( A sixty mile round trip ) and it was replaced with no fuss.

Today the feeder reel started jamming up and totally locks up if the anti reverse is selected , its been used twice and maintained .

I think you have just been unlucky buddy. Daiwa kit still gets plenty of thumbs up on here, even the lower end stuff.

LouisD

Sounds like bad luck to me. I have had various bits of Daiwa stuff over the last few years. Broke a no.4 on an Airity, seems Daiwa don't anticipate that anglers might think about putting a knee through them! Also snapped the carrier section on a tip rod courtesy of a small child. Phoned Daiwa, sent off the rod on the Friday and returned under warranty by the following Wednesday. You hear about breakages for all brands, manufacturing flaws are found early on in use - what happens next is the measure of customer service. In my experience, Daiwa do well with this although that is pretty much the sum total of my experience with a manufacturer in 40 years.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
Had a few Daiwa items myself and never had an issue with quality, which I have with other brands.

That being said Daiwa do seem to have a lot of price points with reels in particular and some must be better than others to justify the higher prices.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Sold lots of Daiwa reels for years and never encountered a problem with any of them from the Ninja range upwards I have seven of my own for various styles all less than 4 years old and I could have any reel I wanted so I think your problem with two reels is extremely rare.
Tips however are easy to break especially thin carbon ones no matter what make the are but you would not break one playing a fish more likely it has been faulty to start with, there was a batch last year that broke easily....getting anything like weed or a shockleader knot stuck in the tip ring causing it to double back is the most common but getting a wraparound casting will do the same with braid especially.
The good thing with dealing with a proper company like Daiwa is they will normally sort any type of problem out promptly and without fuss.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I’ve got 2 of the Castizm rods & think they’re a fantastic rod for the money. I have never broken a tip on either of them. I’ve also got 6 Daiwa reels, Ninja’s & TDM’s & have never had a problem with any of them. Think you’ve just been unlucky

richardy

I’ve got 2 of the Castizm rods & think they’re a fantastic rod for the money. I have never broken a tip on either of them. I’ve also got 6 Daiwa reels, Ninja’s & TDM’s & have never had a problem with any of them. Think you’ve just been unlucky
I agree, you have been unlucky I have a Legalis and a TDM, and no problems, I also have a carbo-whisker waggler rod that must be 40 years old, and still in perfect condition and used regularly.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Yet to have an issue with any Daiwa stuff and I've had a fair bit.

Hopefully you get sorted and it was just an unlucky blip, not the best though, mate.

nejohn

I can only agree with the rest of the posts, all of my reels (except two 506m's) are Daiwa and have several daiwa rods ranging from 25 years old to 6 months old and have not had a problem with any of them, I have had reels serviced by their service dept and only had excellent service. the only spare part I have ever needed was some of the felt washers that sit behind the spool on one of my TDM's (my fault as I lost them) I made one phone call and had a pack in the post 2 days later FOC. I can only think of one other tackle company that are on par with Daiwa for qualiy and customer service and that is Tri-cast , both top quality and for a change both British companies

Greenwood_15

As a Daiwa fan-boi, i'd say you've been very unlucky - never had a problem with any of their gear I've purchased, hence my admiration for the brand.

My suggestion is don't play the lottery this week, you lucks obviously not in at the mo!

stephenk

Site Supporter
Used to have daiwa poles in 90's but then went with the more popular brands that sold packages aimed at commercial.

Have recently gone back to a daiwa pole, and I have to say the build quality, strength and finish is miles better than what I was using.

Spares availability and ability to interchange sections across the range a major plus point too.

Daiwa all the way from now on for me.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
I was in our local fishing republic a couple of weeks ago and a fella was asking for a spare (No4 i think) for a yank and bank pole.

They said good news was they are fairly cheap bad news was they could not get one for 6/8 weeks.

davylad

Site Supporter
Yeah it seems I was just unlucky, but they just wasted my time, after advising me just what to do. No problems though, I still have some quality gear they make.

Kirtons

Site Supporter

Unlucky Alf off the fast show had more luck!

AdeR

Bit of a update .
Sent the reel and the broken tip back to daiwa , had the reel back 4 days later with a FOC repair , hopefully I will have no further problems with it .
Still waiting to hear about the tip.