daiwa halkon hunt

Minno

Had 3 sets of Bib and Braces gone back in the last couple of years. 2 sets leaked (one of these had only been worn less than 5 times) and the stitching all came away on another pair.

Definitely not what I expected for the money.

carphauler

Exactly, but in this case it's down to the retailer to deal with Daiwa in the first place and for Daiwa to then take it up with Halkon Hunt as they are merely the manufacturer of the product for Daiwa(y) a notable difference between the Daiwa and Guru Gortex in that if you purchase the Guru Gortex you actually order it direct from Halkon Hunt whereas the Daiwa is marketed through their own dealers.;)
I'm just going by my mate did with his Daiwa HH, he took it back as it leaked and the shop (fosters) dealt with HH, I don't think Daiwa even got involved, 👍👍

PAB

Site Supporter
Had mine over 30 years and still 100 waterproof.

Banded_Nipple

Had 3 sets of Bib and Braces gone back in the last couple of years. 2 sets leaked (one of these had only been worn less than 5 times) and the stitching all came away on another pair.

Definitely not what I expected for the money.
Something doesn't sound right there.

Not a chance all 3 were faulty.

Sounds like mistreated to me, the stitching doesn't just fall out.

Minno

Definitely not mistreated.

Never had a problem with bib and brace from any other company.

And for two sets to leak isn’t good.

carphauler

Does sound odd, out of all the anglers I've met using HH, only a couple have had problems which were quickly sorted out.

mikeb511

Site Supporter
@mikeb511 Have you attempted to resolve this issue with Daiwa? and if so what was the outcome?
I have a made to measure Halkon Hunt Pole Jacket + Bib & Brace and it has been nothing other than exemplary in the way it has performed in the 3 years since I purchased it.
HI i have made no attempted to solve the problem i have a mate and he has the same problem with his staff i have had mine for 2 years now thay are juyst hung up in my garage

Badger61

If there are any leakage problems with Halkon Hunt, just return them to Halkon Hunt or from wherever you bought them. They will send the item for testing and rectify the problem if they find any fault. The only thing that will negate the waterproof guarantee is if they have mildew in them from leaving them wet and grotty. If you're posting them back, just do the staff the courtesy of washing them first. Dried fish slime and crusty groundbait isn't pleasant to deal with if you're a non-angling seamstress.
The Halkon Hunt customer service is second to none. I've never known a company that goes as far as they do to sort things out.

neillawrence

neil
Site Supporter
I've had daiwa HH gortex bib n brace and pole jacket for few seasons now and worth every penny dry as a bone

Reuben

Site Supporter
I don’t buy any fishing brand goretex at all as I don’t think they’re worth the money asked. A good pair of goretex trousers are half the price. It’s the same with golf brands. Goretex is goretex irrespective of the label or what it’s supposed to be used for. You can get a pair of surplus goretex bib & brace - unissued - for less than half the price of fishing brands that do exactly the same job. Of the branded stuff no doubt that Halkon Hunt are leader of the pack for quality - they certainly are on price. You pays your money & makes your choice.

marcusp

Site Supporter
Something doesn't sound right there.

Not a chance all 3 were faulty.

Sounds like mistreated to me, the stitching doesn't just fall out.
Agree I’ve had two Daiwa sets of him gortex and both have been 100%. I never use a brolly and have sat through a 6hr match in non stop heavy rain several times and never had so much as a drop get through.

If you abuse it by not looking after it, cleaning and treating it as directed then it will eventually let you down but thats not the clothing fault it’s yours just like having a car and not having it serviced.

I find it very hard to believe that you had three sets all leak unless they were abused

marcusp

Site Supporter
I don’t buy any fishing brand goretex at all as I don’t think they’re worth the money asked. A good pair of goretex trousers are half the price. It’s the same with golf brands. Goretex is goretex irrespective of the label or what it’s supposed to be used for. You can get a pair of surplus goretex bib & brace - unissued - for less than half the price of fishing brands that do exactly the same job. Of the branded stuff no doubt that Halkon Hunt are leader of the pack for quality - they certainly are on price. You pays your money & makes your choice.
Not exactly correct for instance the Daiwa gortex is 3 layer and cheaper gortex garments are only two layer.

I've had two sets of HH Goretex. The first set was provided by Howard Webb when I joined Sillybait in 2000. The second set was provided by Shakespeare when I joined them in 2007/8. Although I have had a few years out due to work and family commitments both sets were regularly washed in accordance with HH instructions and tumble dried after treatment. It's now 2019 and my second set are still going strong despite having mildew marks and having been used and abused. In monetary terms, if I'd paid for them it would have worked out at about £50 a year. Personally given the abuse they've had and the conditions I've sat out in I think that's good value for money.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Not exactly correct for instance the Daiwa gortex is 3 layer and cheaper gortex garments are only two layer.
You’re right - I meant like for like ie 3 layer HH or any other brand of 3 layer goretex. I run Winter Mountain Leadership courses in the Scottish Highlands & have worn more brands of goretex than many have hot dinners. Berghaus, Patagonia, North Face - you name it & I’ll have most likely worn it. If you look after the item regarding washing, reproofing & drying then any similar piece of clothing will be as good as any other regarding being waterproof.
The very best 3 layer goretex jacket that I’ve ever owned, & still do, is an Austrian Army issue Mountain Troop goretex parka that cost £45 & I still use it both in the mountains & for fishing. I’ve no doubt HH clothing is first class if that’s what you want to pay.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I was given a Goretex jacket from HH when I started work for Angling Plus approx 1995 and it's still waterproof. On Sunday I sat facing wind and rain for five hours on Decoy - not a drop of water penetrated. I have been out in that jacket literally hundreds of times. Bib and brace from HH is three years old - I wash it two or three times a year by hand in warm water - nothing else, and it's still OK. Nothing is better. It depends on what conditions you are expecting - my bib and brace gets liberally covered in mud from the knees down, especially at this time of year, when I'm on my knees packing stuff away.