Daiwa Airity 13m Pole

geofflukins

Bobco have got a 13m Daiwa Airity pole on offer at £1499. No holdall though. I vary seldom if ever go past 13m so probably not worth me going for 16m even if I could afford it which I can’t. Has anyone got the 13m Airity package and can they tell me what their opinion of it is. It consists of 3 match top 5 kits whatever that means, Phex???

spark1

Site Supporter
Normally the match kits are 3 sections 3, 2, 1 so the other sections should be 4 and 5. The pole needs sections 4 and 5 to make a complete pole before you fit a top kit.
So in theory you should have a complete pole and 3 extra 3 sections and 3 extra 4 sections and 3 match kits.
Phex is a short dolly butt section that fits the 13m section to give a bit more length on the pole. Double check to see if it reverseable because if it is it might fit the 11m section as well.
But I would phone either the shop or Daiwa before hand to find out exactly what's in the package.

Louis D

Site Supporter
As Spark1 says, with that package you could set up 4 top kits - either top 3's, top 4's or top 5's or any combination of that. Unless fishing rivers you are less likely to fish top 5's but no harm in having spare sections, they do get broken and some people do it more often than others. You could sell a couple of no. 5's and might get £100+ each, personally I would keep them. Phex5 is a short extra strong butt section about 0.9 M, it has a female joint at both ends that fits the 13M section and 14.5/16M sections (if you had them). It gives added length and confidence that your elbow isn't going through a section (never happened to me without it though). You can buy similar short butts for sections 5/6 and 7/8.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
It is an excellent price for that package as it is one of the best poles available.
The top 5 kits are more a continental idea and are great if you fish deeper waters to set up longer rigs.

lambrettasx200

I was looking at this offer from BobCo as well but noticed it's the XLS version of the Airity. Which I believe has longer sections what difference does that make and I suppose it's not as easy to transport in a smaller vehicle

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
I don't have anything to add about the specific pole but with these older top end poles I would always check the spares availability and price

geofflukins

Bobco have reduced a number of the Daiwa poles. Makes me wonder why. Do they know something we don’t know.

Louis D

Site Supporter
Daiwa are not introducing new XLS models alongside the conventional ranges, they have not been a success - not helped by the extra length of the 9, 10, 11 sections. Other companies have tried this e.g. the Sensas XL range but not sure it has ever caught on. There is nothing to hide, they are in the current catalogue but are obviously not a long term part of the Daiwa range. It's to be expected that Bobco want to shift them, I doubt there is anything inherently wrong with them and at 13M it would only be a limited difference to the standard model that is now updated to the nanoplus version (whatever that really brings).

jasonb

Site Supporter
Daiwa are not introducing new XLS models alongside the conventional ranges, they have not been a success - not helped by the extra length of the 9, 10, 11 sections. Other companies have tried this e.g. the Sensas XL range but not sure it has ever caught on. There is nothing to hide, they are in the current catalogue but are obviously not a long term part of the Daiwa range. It's to be expected that Bobco want to shift them, I doubt there is anything inherently wrong with them and at 13M it would only be a limited difference to the standard model that is now updated to the nanoplus version (whatever that really brings).

The new daiwa catalogue looks like it has more xls poles in it to me?

Tomboy22

Site Supporter
LouisD is spot on XLS never really took off and like he said not a long term part of the Daiwa pole range, i imagine you will still get spares for years to come.

lambrettasx200

Bobco have a similar offer on the 13m tournament pro XLS so it's about £100 cheaper than the Airity. Again I wouldn't fish longer than 13m and as I mainly fish rivers top 5s would be very useful. So how much longer is a 13ft XLS compared to the standard Airity or Tournament Pro?

carphauler

According to Daiwa, the 13m XLS versions have 10cm on the butt, 8 and 7 sections so 30cm longer in all, the 16m XLS poles have the same 10cm on the butt, 10 and 9 sections.
Cross fitment wise I would assume that normal sections will fit XLS models as protectapole makes nose cones that fit all UK models including XLS, Trevor Jeans would know for certain though.

jasonb

Site Supporter
According to Daiwa, the 13m XLS versions have 10cm on the butt, 8 and 7 sections so 30cm longer in all, the 16m XLS poles have the same 10cm on the butt, 10 and 9 sections.
Cross fitment wise I would assume that normal sections will fit XLS models as protectapole makes nose cones that fit all UK models including XLS, Trevor Jeans would know for certain though.

that's all it is, xls butt sections 10cm longer. all the same mandrel except the whisker xls which have a different 5/6 section. the whisker xls is the same mandrel as the spectron.

the whisker xls has been one of daiwa's best selling poles since it came out and as an excellent reputation.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
I had the whisker au and would still say it was one of the best poles iv had

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
i think the main bug bear for people was like its been pointed out already transporting in vehicles and also get a rodall long enough for them to fit in when packed away nothing wrong with diawas if anything they hold there value when wanting to sell on spares wont be a problem and before anyone starts ive a sensas flagship pole and a shimano aspire and also for back up a speccy comp as i mainly fish canals n rivers now buy with confidence would be my advice especially with the top 5s

JLK

Having never owned one of these Daiwa poles, can you ditch the 13m xls section and use a normal length 13m, 14.5, 16m section in these poles?