Daiwa Air / Airity advice

Coxey70

Hi guys I’ve got my Map 701 2G up for sale not that I’m unhappy with it I just fancied a change. I’m looking at Daiwa poles mainly because if you break any sections someone somewhere is selling them but that’s when I noticed something. Nearly every used Daiwa pole as repairs on one or more sections which I hate so this is my question are these 2 poles strong enough to fish for carp a lot of my fishing is on carp venues how do the sections break? Thoughts and advice welcome.

dave brittain 1

I've had top of the range poles from the majority of manufacturers and currently own a MAP 901. In 35 years of pole fishing I've only broke 2 sections on fish. One was always going to break as the fish got under the platform and the other I can confidently say had taken a knock at some point.

Poles were never designed for big carp however with balanced tackle and good technique it's possible to get big fish out without too many issues.

One of the problems is that far too many anglers try to bully fish when trying to build a big weight or play catch up when they are behind in a match and it only takes a lapse in concentration or a small mistake and something gives. Add to that and anglers with flawed technique, or not set up properly with their rollers too far apart or in the wrong positions and it's trouble waiting to happen.

Louis D

Site Supporter
I've got an airity, biggest fish this year about 17 lb on NG 16-20 microbore fishing 14 M down the edge. OK, not the biggest fish but a pretty healthy size and not the only one that been a struggle to fit in the net. It's plenty strong enough, I would have another one.

It's usually anglers that break sections doing stupid things. As Dave says, trying to extract fish from platforms or, in my case, playing knee vs pole. Sometimes we can forget we are holding £1000's of thin walled carbon, things get banged and later they snap - the pole must be at fault. I've said it before, most of the sections that snap at Heronbrook are Daiwa's but that's because most poles in use there are Daiwa's.

Having said that, I look at second hand Airs, Airitys etc and am horrified how many breaks are mentioned.

Coxey70

Having said that, I look at second hand Airs, Airitys etc and am horrified how many breaks are mentioned.
That is exactly what I’ve noticed Louis when I’ve looked and to say my pole is mid to high end and worth £1200ish with 14x top kits etc verse a pole only Airity £1500 and Air £2000 I fancied a change but not sure its worth it.

Louis D

Site Supporter
They are excellent poles but very few poles can stand up to sword fencing or use as scaffolding or whatever people do with them. Mine is now 4 or 5 years old, i put my knee through a no 4 but otherwise it is completely intact and gets used with everything from 3-6 through to 16-20 elastics.