Cramp in bed

62tucker

Site Supporter
2nd night in a row I have woken up with severe cramp in my right leg. Tried to sort it out still lying in bed. But eventually had to get up and stand on it. And the getting out of bed seems to really tighten it up proper good. I have been painting and decorating ( sorry for the swear words) my daughters new house last few weeks on and off. So my body been active and in some position it’s not used to like painting skirting boards. Any advice for cramps ( apart from stop decorating)

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
The missus, bottle of rubbing oil and a condom (well you never know):p

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Next time ya wake up with the Cramp, slap your Gerts Bare Arse and call her by her sisters name whilst demanding sex, i bet yer cramp will be the least your worrying about ;) ;)

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Was going to say buy a bigger bed but that's a different sort of cramp.
Hydrate through the day, plenty of water, some salt aswell.

Paul22

I suffer really bad with cramps in my legs and hands ........ sometimes when I’m fishing I struggle to hold the pole all day as my hands just start cramping up. My legs get it usually on a nighttime and it’s unbearable lasting for several minutes.
I’ve put it down to having a physical job most of my working life and lifting weights for years on end.
I don’t really know what causes it and how to prevent it ....... when it happens I just have to put up with it ...... I try and stretch it out and massage the affected area.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle !
Site Supporter
Not a preventative, but for calf cramp instant relief can be obtained by pulling your big toe up and back fairly hard, or pressing it against a wall to achieve the same action. Then when the pain subsides a gentle massage of the calf muscle helps.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
The Quinine in tonic water is said to help.
^ ^
What Neil said. I get cramp most nights, usually at the front of the lower leg rather than the back. If I have a couple of gin & tonics before I come home though, I don't suffer.
It'd be daft to have a tonic with no gin in it, wouldn't it?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
@62tucker throw away the salt pot mate. Stop using it in every possible way.
There is enough salt in our food for what your body needs.
I used to have cramps for years and l was informed to cut it out completely. So l did and after a week or so l was sleeping through the night most nights now it's every night.
Yes I liked salt on my food to enhance the flavour but now I can actually taste what the food should taste like. It takes time to get it out of your system but hand on heart l tell you it works.

Corn Master

Site Supporter
Me too. I have had it especially bad when I got out of bed for a leak in the night and stretched. Was that painful as it was the full length of my leg top to bottom at the back of it. I was staggering around the landing nearly in tears

Paul22

@62tucker throw away the salt pot mate. Stop using it in every possible way.
There is enough salt in our food for what your body needs.
I used to have cramps for years and l was informed to cut it out completely. So l did and after a week or so l was sleeping through the night most nights now it's every night.
Yes I liked salt on my food to enhance the flavour but now I can actually taste what the food should taste like. It takes time to get it out of your system but hand on heart l tell you it works.
I use no extra salt in cooking or on my food and very rarely eat processed food ...... I’m lucky to have a wonderful wife who cooks.

Sportsman

I'm sorry to go on about this, but I am deadly serious. Get some magnesium tablets. It works.
I was getting severe cramps every night. I was talking to a physio about it and she told me to take a magnesium supplement.
Two days after starting on two a day the cramps stopped Cut it down to one a day and no return. Now I take a maintenance dose of 2 per week and I haven't had cramp for about 8 years.
Try it.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I used to get bad cramp in my wrists at night as a teenager

I grew out of it in the end

Chervil

Site Supporter
The couple we bought our house from must have suffered from cramp, as I found their special stretching swing in the attic. I'm just trying to find the manual on line.
images.jpg

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I get cramp in almost every muscle in my body - mainly toes, legs (upper and lower), hands, and neck. I drink a glass of tonic water (which contains quinine) most nights, which helps a bit, I think. But it has been so bad - up eight times in two hours the other night - that I have occasionally been taking quinine sulphate tablets which I was given. I also drink a lot of liquid (though that also makes me get up several times a night).

I asked my doctor to prescribe them for me but he has refused, saying they can be dangerous, which I do understand. So I have been taking magnesium tablets, but I doubt whether they will do much good. They haven't helped so far, so far as I can tell.

I took the view with the doctor that the cramp is sometimes so bad (my wife had to call an ambulance once) that whatever the quinine sulphate tablets did would be worth it, because they did seem to help - I took them for four nights in succession after a bad attack and I usually had a night or two al;most cramp-free.

I go to special cancer excercise classes and there I do stretch the leg muscles gently. I also do it before going to bed. I think that this has probably helped as much as anything.

Google cramp and you'll get a lot of information and suggestions. I doubt anyone who has never had it understands just how painful it is. When I see footballers getting 'cramp' it makes me laugh. If they had proper cramp they would be rolling around in agony.