Cowboy Films

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Now I like a good western

Kinda reminds me of being a kid, all those saturday morning pictures sessions,

theres been some really good if not quite factual films produced, 10 of my favourites are listed below

1, The Magnificent Seven (Yul Brinner version, the 1st one)

2, Shane, (with Alan Ladd)

3, The Wild Bunch (directed by Sam Peckinpah)

4, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, (eastwood in a real classic, the first spaghetti western I saw)

5, Shenandoah, (James Stewart and the effects that the Civil war had on a family trying to keep out of it)

6, Monte Walsh, (Lee Marvin, a lament for the passing of the old west)

8 Jeramiah Johnson (Robert Redford and the early push across the Blue Ridge Mountains)

9 Will Penny, ( charlton heston)

10, The Long Riders (jesse james and his gang)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I love anything directed by Sam Peckinpah.

Watched John Wayne in ' The Cowboys ' yesterday. It must be the only one of his films Ive never seen.

' The quiet man ' is still my favourite John Wayne film.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Have a watch of "The Searchers" starring John Wayne... he should have won an oscar for that performance... superb film

corkycat

I watched Shenandoah at the flicks in 1969 and ended up crying like a baby. Watched it again last week on the Paramount channel, and felt exactly the same.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
10, The Long Riders (jesse james and his gang)
One of the most underrated films of all time,
The slow mo when the bullets hit and the stunt work riding through the windows was at a time when the Westerns were at their lowest.

Open Range is another favourite and Costner is underrated in that.

Once Upon A Time in The West - pure brilliance and always voted Top Three of all westerns.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Been meaning to get into watching Westerns. They have quite a long running time though that puts me off getting started. One of my favourites is a spaghetti western called Day of Anger.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
One I remember watching and not liking, Johnny Guitar. Never got on with the female led cast or just Joan Crawford.

One I watched recently and liked... Forty Guns by Sam Fuller who described his Forty Guns as "Forty Pr*cks" and that has the more likeable Barbara Stanwyck. Always liked Sam Fuller directed films.

HawkerMan

There is an App in the google play store called Old Movies it's got a few westerns you can watch plus lots of other films.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Club House 6
woodmagnet The Club House 25
tonerain The Corner Peg 2
Elmer Fudd The Corner Peg 0
A The Corner Peg 0