cornwall

explosive

Two of us are going to Cornwall area early April for 7 days . Does anybody know any thing about the " OAKSIDE FISHERY ", AT Whitecross . Porth reservoir is another venue we may visit, any info will be greatfully recieved. Thanks. PS will be b & b in Newquay in all probability.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've fished it a couple of times and it's a nice lake to be fair.
The left hand bank as you go in is the deeper water, the right hand bank is very shallow but if the conditions are right you can still get the fish in.
Day tickets are available in the little hut in the car park and the bailiff does come round.
General coarse fishing and also Carp fishing.

You've also got Gwinear Lakes just a bit further south of Newquay, again worth a visit. It's more of a commercial fishery than natural but some good fishing to be had. Check with them re match bookings first though before setting off

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Oakside
Use red maggots in a feeder and three on a size 12 dropped about ten feet in front of the island from the right hand bank and you'll have a lovely slimy smelly Breamathon. You'll get a few Crucians and some nice sized eels too. If there's no R in the month and a pig is seen to take to the air you might just catch a carp. All the times I've been there I've never seen or heard of any of the "professional" Carp men catch one. Keep nets are allowed. As Dave mentioned nearby is Gwinnear but that is every river fisherman's idea of a commercial. If you do fish there you'll soon get fed-up of catching 3-7lb carp virtually a chuck. I fished a day there last year with Crackatoa and his lad who was catching carp like it was going out of fashion.

Blanks

Site Supporter
If you are down as far as St Ives give Bussow Res a go there are big carp but I prefer the silvers great fishing, day tickets from the Angling shop in Penzance.
If you fancy something a bit more commercial try Amalwhidden, Neil runs a match on sunday's.

Nicky Dodds

There's also nance lakes just round the corner on the old coach road or woonsmith at nancledra but it's difficult to find. Both are day ticket. My brother bivvys on bussow now and again.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
There's also nance lakes just round the corner on the old coach road or woonsmith at nancledra but it's difficult to find. Both are day ticket. My brother bivvys on bussow now and again.
Nance is great fun, especially the first pool near the shop. Brilliant confidence booster!!

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Bussow is great for silvers.
Amalwhidden is a lovely little fishery that is rammed with fish.
BK is brilliant for small carp on the match water or great for silvers and big carp on the lake
Gwinear can just tire you out if it's on. We fished it 4 times last summer hols and my 11 year old had over 200lb every time. Just fishing top 2

Looking forward to having a go on Oakside with Phil this summer

Nicky Dodds

Nance is great fun, especially the first pool near the shop. Brilliant confidence booster!!
It certainly is, it's where I used to take my dad when we go down to visit. My brother and another angler were biteless when fishing the middle pool and our kid spotted a trail of bubbles heading towards his float, "get ready " he thinks to himself then up pops an otter 12" from his float.
Most garden ponds got cleaned out by otters at the back end of the town including my dads.

rudd

To the North, South, East and West of Cornwall you have some of the best sea fishing in the UK.
Its the on!y county where I have coarse, sea and game fished the same day.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Don't even think about Nance. It's a dreadful place - but the on-site cafe is a delight.

explosive

Dear fellow anglers. Thank you all, who have contributed to my post. I must say the pics are wonderful, they fill me with enthusiasm for my holiday soon to come, your reports are very helpful too. Those venues further south from Newquay, i think, we won't be able to fit them in on this trip because of the distances involved from Newquay" but one never knows. Certainly, this is our first foray into Cornwall for a fishing holiday./ Should this foray be successful we will consider doing it again, This why i have asked you for as much info as possible. I have not touched on accommodation until now. I would be pleased to hear from you, your choice and type and cost of accommodation you use? i have surfed the internet for many hours searching and made many phone calls too boot. This is important to me because of repeat booking for return trips , if at all. My searches have uncovered a multitude of prices some unreal. Well its over to you lads. Thanks again. Tony W.