Company fined £20,000 following pollution incident

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Company fined after land spreading leads to pollution

A company has been fined £20,000 following an Environment Agency investigation after polluting a stream during land spreading at a North East farm.
Published 24 December 2018

Black liquid discharging into the stream

A company has been fined £20,000 after polluting a stream during land spreading at a North East farm.
Whites Recycling Ltd – based at Mill Lane in South Witham, Lincolnshire – appeared at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates’ Court on Thursday 19 December where it pleaded guilty to breaching its environmental permit and polluting a tributary of the River Tees.
It was fined £20,000, and ordered to pay costs and a victim surcharge amounting to £4,430.
Prosecuting on behalf of the Environment Agency, Sally Dennison told the court that the company has an environmental permit for mobile plant land spreading at Greystones Farm near Eppleby, west of Darlington.
Conditions of the land spreading deployment states the operation should comply with the ‘Code for Good Agricultural Practice’ which requires that weather conditions are assessed prior to spreading taking place, and also states ‘the activity will be carried out without harm to the environment’.

Stream ‘running black’
On 22 March 2017 a pollution incident was reported by a member of the public advising that a stream close to Greystones Farm was running black.
The following morning environment officers from the Environment Agency attended the farm and met with the farm manager. He confirmed that eight loads of digestate had been spread on the field the previous day. The field appeared to be waterlogged.
The officers investigated an unnamed tributary of the River Tees and saw that drainage outfalls from the field were discharging a black coloured liquid into the watercourse.
Whites Recycling arranged for a tanker to attend and remove the pools of digestate and rainwater that had accumulated on the field.

Rainfall data gathered by the Environment Agency showed around half of the average monthly rainfall for the area fell on 22 March 2017 and 23 March 2017 and the Met Office had also issued a severe weather warning for snow on the 22 March 2017 for the area.
Checks on the company’s Environment Management System showed there was no condition to check the weather forecast prior to spreading taking place, and the field record sheet had been incorrectly filled out. It stated the nearest watercourse was 150m away when the stream is only separated from the field by a main road.
The company said the incident had resulted from a systems failure and was not committed deliberately of recklessly, and that immediate action was taken to prevent further harm by removing further liquid from the field. The company’s Environment Management System has been reviewed and updated and it had also conducted training for all of its staff in the new procedures. The company apologised to the Environment Agency and the court for the breach and the resulting pollution.

Vital that companies abide by permit conditions
Environment Officers Louise Poole, from the Environment Agency’s Land and Water Team in the North East, led the investigation. She said:
Permits are in place to protect the environment and our communities while also supporting businesses in their activities.​
Permits have strict conditions for a reason and it is vital companies abide by those conditions. In this case, land spreading during adverse weather led to a waterlogged field and a black discharge into a nearby river, impacting on the environment. The company has since updated its procedures and improved staff training.​
Run off from land into our waters has a significant negative effect on the environment. The Environment Agency works hard to protect our environment and I hope this sends out a message to others that we take incidents such as this seriously and will take the necessary action against those flouting the conditions of their permit.​

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Of course they don't, they probably made 50 grand off the job, plus how many other jobs have they don't and got away with it?
Money Trogg. Thats all that matters these days. Bugger the environment. Think of the money. Its how people think these days. The amount of fly tipped rubbish around here is getting out of control and its only going to get worse as we have no way of policing it. 👎

Willberforce

Account Locked
Turnover for this shower of shite...(that's what they were spreading too ) was £19.02 MILLION with net assets of £5.2 MILLION and £2.9 MILLION in the bank.

Yer...a £20K fine is really going to get their attention !

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Money Trogg. Thats all that matters these days. Bugger the environment. Think of the money. Its how people think these days. The amount of fly tipped rubbish around here is getting out of control and its only going to get worse as we have no way of policing it. 👎
Our local tip started charging for wheels/tyres/fridges/freezers and building waste (just normal domestic not company), they claim they are charging to save the council money... funny thing is, fly tipping in the area has gone up and guess what's being tipped...tyres, fridges, freezers, building waste

Now cop this, according to the council it costs a minimum of £700 to attend a fly tip and remove the rubbish, if it is a two man job then it can double in price!!

Yep, they're really saving the council money, i'm lucky i have a mate who runs a mini skip business and he let me dump my "building waste" in a skip for free...it was a single potato sack full of tile bits from retiling behind my cooker and extending the tiles to the ceiling but the council wanted me to pay a fiver to dump it, i rarely use the tip as it is but i still pay for it through my taxes and now they want me to pay to dump the only stuff i ever go to the tip for!!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Turnover for this shower of shite...(that's what they were spreading too ) was £19.02 MILLION with net assets of £5.2 MILLION and £2.9 MILLION in the bank.

Yer...a £20K fine is really going to get their attention !
Seriously ? They probably spend more than £20,000 on their paper clips every week. Compared to how much it would have cost to remove the pollutant safely £20,000 is probably very cheap. Being rural we have a septic tank and the overflow of this tank empties into a local drain. Every so often the council come and see we are using the correct washing powder / washing up liquid etc so as not to harm the animals, birds and insects that live in these drains. I think its a good idea really. Saying that, I dont think the council have been around for three years or more. 😕

Burton Bridge

Nice one. These companies dont give a #### do they ?
We need to make them care, unfortunately I cannot recall any government local or national who really care about the environment. They are far more likely to fall to the whims of business because the economy is king and keeping it strong is most important thing.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Our local tip started charging for wheels/tyres/fridges/freezers and building waste (just normal domestic not company), they claim they are charging to save the council money... funny thing is, fly tipping in the area has gone up and guess what's being tipped...tyres, fridges, freezers, building waste

Now cop this, according to the council it costs a minimum of £700 to attend a fly tip and remove the rubbish, if it is a two man job then it can double in price!!

Yep, they're really saving the council money, i'm lucky i have a mate who runs a mini skip business and he let me dump my "building waste" in a skip for free...it was a single potato sack full of tile bits from retiling behind my cooker and extending the tiles to the ceiling but the council wanted me to pay a fiver to dump it, i rarely use the tip as it is but i still pay for it through my taxes and now they want me to pay to dump the only stuff i ever go to the tip for!!
Exactly whats happening up here Trogg. And thats why the entrance to our paddock is being fly tipped on on a regular basis. We have cctv of them doing it but, the council are just not interested. We wrote to Edd Milliband who used to be our MP but, heard nothing back. I bet I would if I collected it all up and dumped it outside our council offices. Like the farmer who sprayed his local council offices with liquid manure. That would get their attention ...... And me in prison probably.

Burton Bridge

Same here, I went last year with some plaster board to be told it was per bag.

Unfortunately these are the stealth taxes that local governments have implemented to try to cope with central government cuts. They have been the brain child of some civil servants and have not worked. To be fair they have to try to do something.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Exactly whats happening up here Trogg. And thats why the entrance to our paddock is being fly tipped on on a regular basis. We have cctv of them doing it but, the council are just not interested. We wrote to Edd Milliband who used to be our MP but, heard nothing back. I bet I would if I collected it all up and dumped it outside our council offices. Like the farmer who sprayed his local council offices with liquid manure. That would get their attention ...... And me in prison probably.

Word of advice, contact the local paper, give them the worried about your animals, worried about the wildlife, worried about pollution sob story, then make a big thing about how you are having to pay to tip the rubbish even though it isn't yours, if you can provide proof of the councils apathy.

It worked with a friend of mine, his wife runs a horse sanctuary and they kept getting fly tips, their gate is set back from the edge of the road and has an entrance surrounded by trees they had someone set up a 12v camera and recorder, caught the tippers on camera and contacted the council .

The council were not interested, local councillor and local MP not interested...contacted the local paper gave them the sob story and it ended up going county wide.

Something was done then, council cctv was fitted as it was "court approved" and the same vans were caught dumping on a regular basis, it turned out they were a family business of "rubbish clearance" only instead of taking it to landfill they were dumping it anywhere they could including my mates gateway, of course, a lot of the fly tipped stuffed wasn't listed on their earnings either so the tax man got involved as well.

He was awarded compensation from the "victims fund" to cover his costs etc and the tippers were given massive fines, it ended up with them selling their vans to cover the fines and the tax payments!

Willberforce

Account Locked
Council mentality at it's finest...
Yes... just start charging for using the waste transfer station facilities that residents already pay for via their council tax....
What could possibly go wrong.....

"North Tyneside experienced 1,642 offences, costing £140,310, with no fines issued.
And in Northumberland there were 2,260 incidents, landing the council with a £128,629 clean up bill, £4,699 of which was recouped from fines."

How many incidents go unreported is beyond measure....

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think I may change careers if you get £700 for picking rubbish up. Trogg ..... Put my name forward will you please. Ill even travel from Donny for £700 a load. 😆😆😆😆

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Think of yourself living on the Isle of Wight, there is one council dump. The council wanted to close said dump and if you wished to dump something you had to take it to the main land by car then pay the dump because it was not in your post code.
After a lot of tooing amd frooing council backed down and l believe they had a small charge put in instead. Just think how much it would have cost if everyone on l of W dumped their rubbish willy nilly. Don't bear thinking about.

Burton Bridge

I bet they laughed their socks off at 20k fine then. Probably went straight to petty cash and paid it there and then. Surely the fine has to fit the crime ? Not in this case hey ? 👎
Correct fixed fines are pointless, in my opinion all fines should be means tested or they serve a as a deterrent to a fraction of society and they should act as a deterrent to all society.

rudd

Correct fixed fines are pointless, in my opinion all fines should be means tested or they serve a as a deterrent to a fraction of society and they should act as a deterrent to all society.
Including speeding fines and other motoring offences?
So Mr claims benefits and sells weed gets a means tested speeding ticket which amounts to a minimus amount whilst Mr worked all his life for his three bed, 2.5 children gets fined a weeks wages for doing 75 on a motorway in his German whip?
No wonder the low lifes of this country literally get away with murder.

This is not a pop at you Burton, merely an observation of how messed up the UK is becoming with stupid ideas causing rifts in our population!

Burton Bridge

Including speeding fines and other motoring offences?
So Mr claims benefits and sells weed gets a means tested speeding ticket which amounts to a minimus amount whilst Mr worked all his life for his three bed, 2.5 children gets fined a weeks wages for doing 75 on a motorway in his German whip?
No wonder the low lifes of this country literally get away with murder.

This is not a pop at you Burton, merely an observation of how messed up the UK is becoming with stupid ideas causing rifts in our population!
Not taken as a pop Rudd :) In answer its a yes a parking fine or a speeding fine is pointless to someone whom buys quarter of a million pound cars, 60 quid is a not even going to buy his shoe lace.

The minority organised crime gangs will always be a problem are a small fraction of the population. Mr Claims benefits may very well be the same Mr worked all his life for his 3 bed and 2.5 children, most people who claim support work. People don't literally get away with murder they go to jail and get punished.