Club Match 3, Rookery Waters, Magpie

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Peg 23 on Rookery Water's (Pidley) Magpie lake. Another day when plans went out of the window.

I have come to regard this lake as one that responds well to meat and based my attack on fishing meat over micros and 4 mils at +3. This approach worked for me in October when I won our club match with 85lb. I also expected to catch well from the margins.

The day turned into one of those where you would take two or three (small) fish from one line then it would dry and you were left biteless. It didn't seem to matter what I fed or how much. That ranged from a full 200mil of micros to 1 cube of meat and 20 micros. Both produced fish, but not in any numbers. The same pattern showed all day, I even had three fish up in the water, not a method I fish much, but that dried also. In addition the weigh in showed that I was catching much smaller fish than the rest. I had around 20 fish for 56lb. Everyone else seemed to have fish averaging 4-5lb or larger.

My weight placed me around third from last out of 17. Winner had 187lb (45 fish), just about all from the margin on expander over micros (5 pints fed). Others caught on meat over micros, single maggot and corn.

Perhaps it was the time of year or just the swim that led to my poor result.

One good thing from the day though was that one member, Duncan on peg 24 next to me, recorded his first ever match “ton” with 109lb for fifth place and an envelope. After about 90 minutes he was fishless. He then concentrated on fishing the margin at a little over topkit distance with maggot, single on the hook. He admitted that my words of advice before the match were in his mind “Keep It Simple”. Duncan joined the club around eight years ago having come from a carp fishing background. Safe to say every member was pleased for him.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Cheers for the write up. Maggot entered your plans yet Neil?

bigmac1

Good write up Neil, I also struggled on our club match on Sunday, I couldn't string any bites together and the bites I did have were skimmers.
Even my trusty maggots didn't work for me this week lol

Gutsy

Nice write up Neil and nice to see you offering advice to the guy on the next peg even though ultimately it meant he beat you .

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Thanks @Gutsy as I think you know I have few secrets (I admit to one or two) and have offered to take Duncan out a few times but he has declined.

He has switched from carp fishing and absolutely loves our matches as he has learned loads and has a good laugh, we are a friendly bunch.

My philosophy is that I will share most of what I do. If you can do it better than me then you deserve to beat me.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I had some dead reds with me, tried a couple when I was desperate but they didn't even give me a bite.

I have become comfortable with a simple bait table and in the main it serves me well. Far too often I have tried maggot and caught roach, not the species I need when trying to get to 100lb+ to win. Yes maggot worked for Duncan but so did expander and meat for others including the winner.

Keep it simple -

Yesterday three sizes of feed pellet (and that's one more than normal), corn, hard and expander pellets (4 & 6 mil) for the hook. Not much more needed in Summer. Add meat if allowed and I am confident it works.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Does your wife know how much you spend on bait Neil,looks a bit extravagant to me. ;) ;)