Chub in Winter

Zerkalo

I know it's not Winter yet but we've had the first few colder nights here. Just about to fish the River Stour near my house and expect it to be slower even though I've heard Chub are a good all year round species?

Zerkalo

My dad's just been past the peg (there's only really one there at the weir, although you can push past the vegetation and get to another peg downstream) and there's someone fishing there! Drat! Probably going to go tomorrow now, two pints of maggots in the fridge....

Silverfisher

I generally stick to fishing my summer methods and locations until at least the end of September and if it’s warm like last year well into October so I wouldn’t worry about changing your approach much for a month or so yet. Chub are definitely a good cold weather species though.

Zerkalo

Don't have too much choice on the peg available, there's not enough of a glide to float fish so feeder or bomb is the only option. Although my dad's been lure fishing it and had a few pike which should be good through Winter.

Heatwave forecast for this weekend though, lucky as I'll be in the Isle of Wight.

Neskin

I actually cannot wait for winter chubbing. As its been getting colder and colder I've been getting more excited.

Less weed, less nettles and much less people to see!

Zerkalo

Tempted to have a look at a roving stretch today just a bit further down the road. It's only narrow there but might be worth stick floating.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"Although my dad's been lure fishing it and had a few pike which should be good through Winter. "

If it's only a small stretch of water then just consider that Pike are one of the few fish that are susceptible to deterioration if they are caught frequently.

Zerkalo

I went roving in the end and although there's a few fishable pegs I doubt it holds many fish at all. It says in the BAA venue book "Unproven" under species and I didn't catch anything although a local tackle shop have told me they fish there in Winter so.

Funny I've just had a copy of this weeks Angling Times delivered and it says Hot Tips for SUMMER Chub on the front. Bit late for that I think.

NoCarpPlease

On the upper Warks Avon stretches that I fish chub are a first week of the season and then post clock change species.
It’s really stark. At the moment you can’t buy a chub in the matches ... come December then you’ll be getting our or five chub from a lot of the pegs. Where they are in the summer I don’t know! Feeding on fry?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
If its very cold bread would be my first choice if its mild Winter conditions as cold as snow,Maggot or caster but be prepared to give them a fair bit to get them interested.

Zerkalo

I've used a small maggot feeder with worm or maggot on the hook and had loads of them all summer to 5lb out of this little weirpool on a very small very river. Might fish it again after work today.

Mr Barry S

Site Supporter
I find cubes of cheese good in the Autumn, bread in Winter for the Chub. 5lb flouro-carbon hooklink and size 6 hook, baiting needle through the cheese and pull hooklink loop through and bury the hook within the cheese...

Zerkalo

Just had an evening session there. Only had maggot and worm due to going on a whim. Probably the most frustrating session I've had there although it's been going that way for a while.

Fish were coming to the plop of the feeder and SNATCHING at the bait, a bunch of maggots of worm on a size 14 hook. This meant a bite almost every cast just after tightening up but missing them all. Good bites too. Proper wrap rounds on the tip but very quick. Too quick to strike at.

Chub were the target and to add to my woes I caught a Golden Orfe, again! The only fish of the session and the third time I've caught one there. There defintely being at least two of them present as one has upper lip damage.

IMG_3190.JPG

Any tips for what was going on with the missed bites/bites too quick to strike at and not connecting with fish? Personally I think the fish have got a little wise being the end of summer and the amount that it gets fished more than it to be doing with colder weather.

Silverfisher

I've had a lot of that happening with dace on the feeder on each of the Thames, Wye and Dorset stour. Never really found a fail safe way of hitting the bites as it's different on each river depending on the depth and pace so I just find a way of figuring it out on the day and generally manage to hit most of them, probably almost subconscious muscle memory haha. I'm sure someone will have a more helpful reply though!

Zerkalo

There's the odd dace in there but I'm certain they were Chub bites this time. Quite strong but short bites. I've seen a video of them feeding underwater and they snatch and turn their heads against the flow as they take bait. The Perch bites I've had in there tend to be even more viscious.

Would have thought with maggot on the hook it would be difficult to miss some of them!