Cheap reels like NGT

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Looking to buy a couple of reels for my son who visits a few times a year. Usually manage a bit of time on the bank. Are the cheap reels worth buying or would i be better off with the cheaper "named" reels. Some Shimano/Diawa reels are less than £30.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Buy the cheaper named reels as they are usually more dependable than NGT's cheapies.. there are things you can save a bit of cash on but to be honest a reel has to work hard so I'd buy the best you can afford...

Silverfisher

I’d be more inclined to get the cheaper offerings from the named brands as you’ll probably get a bit more aftercare out of them on the off chance they do disintegrate.

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
Buy the cheaper named reels as they are usually more dependable than NGT's cheapies.. there are things you can save a bit of cash on but to be honest a reel has to work hard so I'd buy the best you can afford...
I would echo this.
I’ve still got Shimano reels that over 10 years old and working perfectly.

My old man has a couple of the original Shimano baitrunners still going strong.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I would say if you spend around £30 you can get something that won’t lead to the feeling of needing to upgrade soon. I bought a Shakespeare Superteam reel for £30 for my stepdaughters boyfriend who wanted to start fishing again with me. I was amazed how good it was, smooth and he played fish on the clutch with ease.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I use Vigor Carp reels, cost me around £10 on eBay (£18.75 for two). Perfectly acceptable reel for the price. Probably won't last ten years but the one on my main feeder rod gets used on most outings so probably 50 times a year. I usually get three to four years out of it. Landed thousands of pounds of fish in that time.

John Step

Site Supporter
I got a couple of Daiwa Sweepfire 2500 reels in a sale. They were about £8 each. Super little smooth reels. Cannot fault them.

nejohn

Site Supporter
If it is only for occasional use then you can get some half decent reels for around £30 the Daiwa Crossfire is quite good and the Shakespeare superteam is really good value if you can get one for £29.99. Others worth a look are the Rovex Ceratec and some of the Okuma's.
Ok you are not going to get a top end Daiwa or Shimano but they are perfectly usable and should still give a good few years service

Reuben

Site Supporter
Lots of very good second hand reels for as much as a new cheapo on the ‘bay.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Cheers all, will keep an eye out for a " name" then, won't be wanting them for a while.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I’ve no idea what these are like but £19.99 for a brand new Shimano reel seems like pretty good value

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I’ve no idea what these are like but £19.99 for a brand new Shimano reel seems like pretty good value
I don't have one, but a club member has and says they're a lot better than most 'cheapies'.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I don't have one, but a club member has and says they're a lot better than most 'cheapies'.
I was given a lot of tackle to pass on to a charity, rods poles terminal etc, among it was 4 of these reels, they are great reels for the price, all with spare spools , not sure if spools purchased separately or come with reel. I bought my grandson a Shimano Catana reel a couple of years ago, that's another good reel for the price.

adriang

Bobco seem go get some good deals with Daiwa reels, for example I got this crossfire to do some spinning/lure fishing with. Nothing wrong with it for the price. Daiwa Crossfire Black & Gold Reel

Only came with the one spool, I should have checked if paying a bit more would have given me 2 spools..lessons learnt.

Eric The Red

i was told by a tackle shop owner that rovex reels have shimano gears in them, this was after a guy came in the shop and went for a £20 sea fixed spool reel instead of the £50 he first picked up , after he left the shop i said you only get what you pay for , and thats when they told me about the gears , saying that there are only a few factories that make reels so the internals could be better than the named outer casing

Rick123

I think most fishing reels are hugely over-engineered. I mean paying over £100 for a reel is crazy, when some around £60 would last a lifetime of use for an average angler. Its the same with rods too now-days, some poles over £1000 rods over £300 when you can get some for under £100 but a bit more weight, what are we becoming guys? One firm that seem to keep things under price control seems to be Drennan, I'd use there stuff all day long, if I had too. Fortunately we all have a choice.