Cheap hooks

Sportsman

Just before Christmas I was on the Aliexpress website looking to buy some odds and ends of swivels, beads etc. I noticed an offer of 100 hooks for 84p. I looked at them expecting to see something laughable, but they didn't look that bad, so I ordered some of what I hoped was the correct size. Well, they arrived today and I have to say they do not look bad at all, in fact they look exactly like the ones I buy in packets of 10 from the local tackle shop. They are a fairly fine wire with a neatly formed eye, straight shank and a slightly incurved whisker barb point that I can easily flatten when I want. Size is a problem, they mark their sizes as 1,2,3 etc I bought the size 3 and I would say they are about a small size 14.
I wonder how many branded hooks at 2-3 pound a packet are made in the same factory. I can't see any difference.
I don't match fish, just fish for pleasure when I can, and these will do for me. I have just ordered 100 each of size 1 and size 2 which I hope will correspond to 16 and 18
So I Just bought £20 worth of hooks for 84p. Seems worth it to me,

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It's not what they look like, it's how they perform. Are they going to 'give' under pressure (or break)?, how long do they last before they go blunt? are there any sharp edges in the eye of the hook to damage line?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Worth a punt for 84p I would have said. Please let us all know how they perform sportsman. 👍

Chervil

Site Supporter
I know what you mean. I was looking for a slightly smaller loop tyer, to tidy up my rigs a bit. I bought one on Amazon, which came with a knot picker and free postage, it's on there know for 61p. Arrived within a week from China. It looks identical to the Preston one and might even be made on the same production line.

Sam Vimes

A mate of mine has been buying all of his hooks, and lots of plastic widget terminal tackle, from Aliexpress for the last few years. This is a fella that has had a Drennan cup weekly win (or two), with a whopping chub, and catches plenty of big trent barbel. I'd expect them to be just as good as anything with a UK brand name on them. The only issue you've really got is trying to establish sizes, finishes and wire gauges from dodgy internet photos.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yep, i have bought a lot of end stuff from Wish and Aliexpress, just as good as the other more expensive stuff.

The trebles are really good as well, i figured even if they were rubbish i could still make use of them as burglary deterrents......(hang them in any trees/bushes you have as fencing around your garden ;) )

Sportsman

We'll see how they go. Not too worried about durability as I don't reuse small hooks anyway. They should last a session.
Strength wise, I can't tell until I hook something big, but I have as much confidence in them as I do with the branded variety. The only hook I have had a problem with have been Kamasan B911 opening up

richox12

I would assume any problem will manifest itself in use and on your subsequent orders. Just because they 'look' like the ones you buy here in shops does NOT mean they are the same or from the same factory. Many factories seem to copy each other gong for the 'flavour of the month' product etc. Many people wouldn't know the differences between items because they don't know what to look for (or the differences are too small to see by eye). Many times I have been shown 'X' rod and told it's EXACTLY the same as 'Y' rod but way cheaper when it is totally different !!

I would worry about the temper of the hooks, consistency of wire thickness, forging and what happens next time will they all be exactly the same batch after batch after batch etc. But for 84p..................what can you lose ? The next fish ??

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
How much do you spend on fishing tackle, bait and permits, and how much precious time do you spend in preparation to go fishing?
Everything's relative.

The hook is your contact with that possible fish of a lifetime, and I would never buy cheap hooks to save a few pence.
I'm happy to try everything else, but never hooks.
More fool me?
:unsure::(

Sam Vimes

How much do you spend on fishing tackle, bait and permits, and how much precious time do you spend in preparation to go fishing?
Everything's relative.

The hook is your contact with that possible fish of a lifetime, and I would never buy cheap hooks to save a few pence.
I'm happy to try everything else, but never hooks.
More fool me?
:unsure::(
It's not necessarily a question of buying "cheap" hooks. It MAY be the case that most of us, myself included, are simply buying the same hooks, from the same factories, repackaged by a UK importer at a vastly inflated price. Ultimately, you pay your money and make your choice.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
Most important part hook the rest just helps, I would say even what most agree are very good dont cost that much to worry about.

Sportsman

I wonder how many of the big named brands have their own hook making facilities and how many buy them in?. If so, I wonder where they buy them from?
I buy most of my line, mono and braid, from China as well as most of my terminal tackle. Rods and reels come from big name brands, or at least have the name of big name brands printed on them. I wonder where they really come from? :);)

dubdog

Most important thing is the hook at the end of the line. Why? Risk it for the cost of pence.

Gussyg

penny scratching... what's the point? (no pun intended)
hooks gotta be about the cheapest terminal thing in fishing...

Sportsman

TBH I didn't buy them to save money. I was interested to see just how bad hooks that cheap would be.
What prompted me to raise the subject on here was the fact that I was surprised just how good they were.
Will I use them? Absolutely.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
Have to wonder, of all the hooks sold how many actually get used?

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Manufacturing under licence or "same product-different customer" is far more common than you think and in the past 18 months I have had direct projects with three different customers who make such diverse things as: fire safety products,fasteners,metal stamped plates,plastic & rubber seals to name a few.
I have no doubt that a lot of the tackle such as hooks,swivels,mono etc we see are from the same source and "branded" as required.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I once bought in a kit a few years ago some NGT hooks. Size 6/8/10/12 They looked rubbish.they were different sizes. Shaped different. I dont fish as much as I should/ wish so never used them,as I had “better hooks” and used them. But since then I have bought some NGT stuff. Luggage mainly. The hooks I use for carp are advanced angling solution from eBay. Not cheap but cheaper than Korda. And drennan for everything else.