Chair or Seatbox??

Fresh Fishing

Hi guys,

I'm currently on the lookout for a new seat/chair for my pleasure fishing...

I mainly feeder fish and sometimes fish the float if the weather allows. I don't own a pole and I'm not sure if I need to get one unless I start to fish matches?

Which option would be best, a seatbox or a chair with feeder fixings?

Some recommendations are much welcome...

cheers

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
A lot will depend on how you do your fishing. By the way, pole fishing is not restricted to matches. Its a great way of fishing full stop.

If your fishing involves putting a leger or float out then relaxing, sitting back until something happens then a chair is probably your best option.

If though you are an active angler, always alert, working for the next bite, being proactive in seeking the fish then I believe a box is more suitable.

rudd

A lot will depend on how you do your fishing. By the way, pole fishing is not restricted to matches. Its a great way of fishing full stop.

If your fishing involves putting a leger or float out then relaxing, sitting back until something happens then a chair is probably your best option.

If though you are an active angler, always alert, working for the next bite, being proactive in seeking the fish then I believe a box is more suitable.
Sorry disagree, with a chair, make sure !egs extend so you can sit as high as possible and avoid chair with arms.
You can be as pro active as an angler sitting on a box with this set up and a chair is far easier to set up on natural type pegs.
Then when not being so proactive you can set lower and relax.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
when you get to 64 then its chair all the time for me
I'm 65. Never used a chair. Box is still the best tool for the job, for me. May be different for others.

Everyone I see using a chair look as if they are asleep. Hence my generalised reply above.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I use a chair... bad back so need support... I use a Korum accessory chair (square leg version) does me

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just going by the chair I have, a Korum Ruckbag one, it is very low to the ground and the posture is reclining. It's perfect for lazing about but I like my seat box for better posture. That being said I don't have a bad back and don't need back support. With a seat box you can keep all your terminal tackle in the drawers too.

I use my chair for natural venues. ie. Rivers and seat box for everywhere else.

TonyA

Site Supporter
I do a lot of feeder fishing from a chair with arms, my bite alarm wakes me up if I'm asleep and I need the chair arms else I'd never be able to get up.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I'm 65. Never used a chair. Box is still the best tool for the job, for me. May be different for others.

Everyone I see using a chair look as if they are asleep. Hence my generalised reply above.
Just bought a Korum Accessory chair (the basic one to avoid sleeping mind you hasn't been any danger of that so far anyway) to complement my Preston seatbox. This will be the first time I've used a chair in nearly 30 years of fishing. I only plan on taking it when I need to tote less weight for longer hauls to a swim or do not need my full complement of accessories.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Have always seemed to fish better sat up on the box for the waggler, bit of height perhaps helping with line pick up on the strike. Can't manage a day on the pole in a chair. When thinking about it, unless planning on a nice steady day on a feeder, in which its chair and attachments, seat box best imo.

If you do go chair route, try researching the attachments firstly, feeder arm, butt rest and side tray, in terms of fittings, then look at the chair leg shape/sizes. I have kept my old maver box for rivers, original korum lightweight chair and use a matchbox for commercials, purely because firstly they are all fine and secondly because they all share the same leg shape and size. I know there are adaptors for fittings, but i reckon one of the worse things (know why they do) that tackle manufacturers ever do is changing the leg shape and sizes.

Managed to get a decent maver box for the lad too, that matches the same as above kit for fittings, possibly not a good decision......now then, wheres my side tray ended up, aint with my kit???

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Chair every time for me although if I needed to be `on the ball` for five hours I would imagine a box is more efficient. Why do
they put arms on fishing chairs? What a waste if time.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Agree, bit of no no normally PG as they get in the way (arms), although has made a massive difference to my comfort when Barbelling. Fox duolite chair, decent chair and light.

Silverfisher

I agree a lot of chairs are a bit lazily postured but some you can adjust to be more suitable. That said when it’s quiet I’ll happily take advantage of the recline in my chair and just lean back and enjoy the world and when it’s busy I’m sat right on the edge of it anyway anticipating the next bite so I could be sat on anything for all the difference it makes in that situation.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Chair every time for me although if I needed to be `on the ball` for five hours I would imagine a box is more efficient. Why do
they put arms on fishing chairs? What a waste if time.
They put arms on to rest your tea cup on and seriously I think arms are ok if feeder or bomb fishing ie put your rod on rests and relax and enjoy...I use a box all the time for match fishing but love a nice comfy chair for chilling and relaxing.

Last edited:

PAB

Site Supporter
for many years I used a top of the range seat box it was fantastic for the fishing I was doing match or match style with the pole as well as all other methods. I now use a chair rucksack as I no longer do that style of fishing I only fish for pleasure and don't use a pole I still fish as often 4-5 times a week (when we can) and I have found IF you can find a chair to meet your style it is much more comfortable for the all day stints I do now my main problem was getting something high enough and light enough I have settled for the Tracker even though this aint to high.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Went from matrix s36 box to korum deluxe chair last year.
Best move for me i have all my box bits on it.
Matrix covered side tray.
Feeder arm etc .
Love it very comfy and a nice kip in sun reclined.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
If you do go chair route, try researching the attachments firstly, feeder arm, butt rest and side tray, in terms of fittings, then look at the chair leg shape/sizes. I have kept my old maver box for rivers, original korum lightweight chair and use a matchbox for commercials, purely because firstly they are all fine and secondly because they all share the same leg shape and size. I know there are adaptors for fittings, but i reckon one of the worse things (know why they do) that tackle manufacturers ever do is changing the leg shape and sizes.
My Preston feeder arm and butt rest work just fine. All I have to do is swap the Preston fittings supplied with the accessories Don't actually need any of my small side trays, as my old Advanta bivvy table with the extendable legs fits in just fine as the chair is lower than my seat box. Swapping convenience for the tactical advantage of a seatbox's height may take a little getting used to but the trade off is likely worth the cost in terms of a distance feeder session where there is likely to be(at least initially) a longer gap between bites.

At least I have a plan, whether that proves to be workable remains to be seen. Getting used to a back support may be a little disconcerting at first, but I am hopeful. Having typed this I'm starting to get a little nervous about moving away from the familiarity of my box. Ah well at lest the new Korum accessory chair has a strong rear crossbar which can make my flask, bankside snacks, and other needs more accessible

Fresh Fishing

If anyone is interested after a bit of research and reading what a few have said on here I've ended up going for a seat box.

Reasons being I want to be active when fishing and I like the fact it stores all my tackle so I can minimise what's kept in my bag and don't need my tackle box.

Once we're allowed I'll see how it goes.

That being said I'm building two setups, one for pleasure/match fishing and another for specimen fishing.

Cheers