Chair for float fishing

Joe C

I had a chub chair for years that was a good height and position for float fishing, but it never felt that sturdy, so I recently bought one of the matrix accessory chairs from my local tackle shop. Felt brilliant in the shop, stable and comfortable, bought accessories like side trays and feeder arms, great I thought....... Got it on the bank though and realised that the back is set to far backwards and it’s not adjustable which means no back support. Fine for feeder fishing, not great for float fishing as I don’t feel like I’m sat upright enough and had a bad back by the end of the session.

I’ve never had a seat box, are they as comfortable? I’m purely a pleasure angler, comfort is key.
What are others thoughts?

thanks!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Joe C

I haven't used the Matrix chair but you say the back is set too far backwards. Can't you chock it with wedges to your liking?

Joe C

@Joe C

I haven't used the Matrix chair but you say the back is set too far backwards. Can't you chock it with wedges to your liking?
I cant even hang a curtain rail so unfortunately anything remotely handy like that is a no go! I wouldn’t know where to start.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I cant even hang a curtain rail so unfortunately anything remotely handy like that is a no go haha!
When you set the backrest, does it sit on a frame towards the back of the seat? or is it just hinged? You could try putting something in between to stop the backrest going too far back. Failing that, the Korum chairs are really good and adaptable to take the fittings.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I had a chub chair for years that was a good height and position for float fishing, but it never felt that sturdy, so I recently bought one of the matrix accessory chairs from my local tackle shop. Felt brilliant in the shop, stable and comfortable, bought accessories like side trays and feeder arms, great I thought....... Got it on the bank though and realised that the back is set to far backwards and it’s not adjustable which means no back support. Fine for feeder fishing, not great for float fishing as I don’t feel like I’m sat upright enough and had a bad back by the end of the session.

I’ve never had a seat box, are they as comfortable? I’m purely a pleasure angler, comfort is key.
What are others thoughts?

thanks!
I decided against such chairs for precisely the reason you have identified in terms of the back being too "loungeable". I now have a Preston seatbox, (bought this year - I love it) which I use mainly for feeder fishing. In terms of comfort, that depends on your posture and the position of your seatbox if the legs have adjustable heights. I like to keep my tips pretty close to the water surface when I can on stillwaters so I set the seatbox as low as possible. Before this I had an old Shakespeare box which I used for float and feeder fishing for 20 years. I've had a look around for a suitable chair, and oddly enough the Advanta lite seems to be about the best value for me if I'm going to be feeder fishing on rivers (or fishing for or carp) or want to keep as much line as possible above water levels. Too much reclining is not good if you have to move quickly which I often do. Om a seatbox I rarely need to get up to net a fish.

feldri

Site Supporter
Always had a seatbox but always had a bad back. Until this year. Bought a Matrix S25 seatbox and a feeder seat with backrest. Rotates 360 and very comfortable. Use it when feeder fishing and float fishing. Unclip it and clip on pole seat for when pole fishing. Backrest folds forward on feeder seat for transporting.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Always had a seatbox but always had a bad back. Until this year. Bought a Matrix S25 seatbox and a feeder seat with backrest. Rotates 360 and very comfortable. Use it when feeder fishing and float fishing. Unclip it and clip on pole seat for when pole fishing. Backrest folds forward on feeder seat for transporting.
Sounds like a nice bit of kit. :upthumb:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I like a box... (my S' Class is still in the loft but with compressed discs my back hurts to use one... I did look at a Preston 360 thing, but at £200+ it was way too expensive... so the Korum chair got the nod and it clips to their ruckbags which is an advantage, and if you cant stand carrying it, they have a trolley that fits the chair and its still all cheaper than the Preston 360 effort

John Step

Site Supporter
I have horses for courses in regard to sit upons. A Nash Daddy long legs for long sessions very near my car due to its weight. No good for float fishing.
A JRC adjustable backed chair with no arms for most things sit and wait. No good for active waggler fishing..

However within the last couple of months I decided that my old Shakespeare box used for float fishing was too knackered to use.

I bit the bullet and bought a box at the budget end of the market for float fishing and I have found it absolutely ideal . More comfortable all day that I anticipated having no back rest. I have found during this present bout of continuous wet weather its easier to keep my legs and my tackle safely dry under the brolly in this more upright position. Also better to position a tip.

Its all plastic and marketed by OCTOPLUS. I have pole hooks to the side and an umbrella arm with a bank stick is perfect for my bait waiter.
There are other accessories but as a non match angler this will do for me.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
What about a feeder chair?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Looks a nice bit of kit that... (y) how much...?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I like a box... (my S' Class is still in the loft but with compressed discs my back hurts to use one... I did look at a Preston 360 thing, but at £200+ it was way too expensive... so the Korum chair got the nod and it clips to their ruckbags which is an advantage, and if you cant stand carrying it, they have a trolley that fits the chair and its still all cheaper than the Preston 360 effort
[/QUOTE
I like the Korum chair but sadly it's a bit too heavy for me to cart around that's why I settled on the Advanta Lite one and added it to my wish list for river sessions, or distance stuff on big waters. I have an old Shakespeare trolley which is pretty light and I use for short distances. Most of the time I drive up to the swim and just unload (disabled angler) my seatbox

Chervil

Site Supporter
Looks a nice bit of kit that... (y) how much...?
I got my Browning, new, for £150 over the summer from ebay. I also use one of the older Korum accessory chairs.

nejohn

Seat box for me for waggler fishing on still waters, nothing for float fishing running waters as I tend to stand up or in real birdcages kneel down, Tried a chair but it just wasn't as good as my box made me sit back to much and at the end of the day ended up with a bad back as was continually leaning forward while casting netting etc, the trick is choosing the right box for you, if you tend to do a lot of walking then no good getting an oil rig but if you can park behind your peg then by all means get a large box. Also always make sure that you set the hieght corectly so you are comfortable, no hard and fast rule here as what might be comfortable for 1 person may not be for someone else, just take a little time setting the box up before you start fishing. and if you are not match fishing then take regular breaks and stretch you legs for a few minutes