Carrs Lakes, Carlton, Stockton On Tees

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobman

Geofflukins metioned this complex in a post recently and I went up yesterday for a scout around in the rain before fishing today.

There are 4 lakes, a silvers only, a match lake and 2 "main" lakes. If you look on google maps you will see one large lake which has been split into 2, with the addition of the match lake, by the time the photo was taken for bing maps.

The silvers lake is to the bottom left of the 2 main lakes. Do not be put off by how "sterile" it looks, it has already matured into a natural looking venue with a lot of vegetation, in and out of the water, plus a good deal of wildlife - including a kingfisher.

I picked peg 4 on lake 2 as it would offer the chance to fish to an island, some sedges and weed bed, and possibly some open water to my left if noone else fished it. First 2 fish on the method were 3oz skimmers and a switch to the 13m island line just resulted in bumps and knocks from rudd.

To my right was a sedge patch with a weed bed which just screamed out "crucian" and after a couple of milk bottle top size skimmers I did start getting some crucians, probably 20 in all, ranging from less than an ounce all the way up to 4 of around a pound. I also managed a mirror carp of an ounce too, and as the owner doesnt stock them that size it must have been succesfully home bred, along with some of the crucians.

A switch to fishing 2+2 with paste frustratingly only brought more skimmers, but with some of them up to half a pound. Although it was a grey day it was quite warm and there were plenty of rudd showing and I winkled about 40 out on shallow pellet.

Switching between the surface, the deck and the margin I consistently caught fish all day, and eventually picked up a couple of 2lb mirrors just to stretch the elastic a bit.

By the end of the day I had bagged over 80 fish for 15-20lb, which although more prolific than other recent sessions was a little disappointing with the weight of the fish. However, following lots of recent rain nobody seemed to be catching many of the larger carp so I think I caught better than the other anglers I saw.

Although they may have been on the small size though I must commend the owners on the quality of the fish. Both larger carp were fin perfect, the crucians were a beautiful buttery gold and the rudd were absolutely pristine. I think the only damage I saw to any fish was one skimmer missing an eye.

If you plan to visit I would suggest you bring a trolley for your gear, there is a farily long walk to many of the pegs, and becaue of the lush vegetation if it has been wet you will need wellies.

I will be back to try again, so I have had a succesful week adding this and Mordyke to my list of venues on my rosta.

geofflukins

Think I recognise that peg in the bottom photo. See its still got the over hanging tree which makes it difficult. Good peg though especially for the pole.

worcs mark

Looks like a good spot, not far from me. Might pop down next week, thanks for the report.

WM

Simon R

Site Supporter
Are keepnets allowed Bob?

I've been on their website and it doesn't mention them and it looks suspiciously like you've got one set up in the first picture - well either that or you've got a seriously mishapen landing net[:p]

Simon

geofflukins

Simon, they used to be. But as I haven't been down there for a while I couldn't tell you. If you give Frank the owner a ring he will tell you. Tel: 07855219066.

bobbynoggs

Yes keepnets are allowed, i fished there recently and i had my keepnet in the water when the owner came round for his money. He noticed it but said nothing, so i assume that nets are allowed. Either that, or i frightened him and he said nothing... !!!

bobman

Keepnets are allowed, no fish over 5lb and to be emptied after 5 hours. Call me old fashioned, but when I were a lad (bear in mind I didn't fish for 25 years) it was great at the end of the session to look at the 2 roach, 3 gudgeon and 1 tommy ruffe I had winkled out the River Ancholme - and that was a good day!! I think in the last 2 months I have caught more weight of fish than I did in six years or so back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.