Carp tackle

Garyrlee1965

Is it just me or is carp tackle a rip-off. First off who came up with the rigs to eject leads. Tackle companies laughing at us.think how many get replaced every year Personally don’t use them. Over engineered and over complicated rigs and expensive. Tv carpers chucking tons of boillies into each swim. Who can do that on normal wages. Looking through catalogues carp accessories as in cooking equipment. Small tackle items all high mark ups. 2 sticks to measure rod length casted 60-70 quid nuts. As for bait boats and these new fish finders. Unbelievable. Spod rids hundreds of pounds. Use a second hand beach caster. Ran

jay67

Site Supporter
not just carp fishing though ... ive just got a decent carp set up - mostly brand new , well known branded stuff for less than the cost of a "mid priced" pole

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
On my carping sessions last year I lost only 2 leads, how come? I use inline leads (I make my own). Measuring rods?, use 2 bank sticks. As for boilies, on the very rare occasions that I use them, I make my own. You can make a kilo of boilies for less than half the shop cost. There's nothing wrong with baiting up with tried and trusted (and cheaper) baits, like sweetcorn, luncheon meat etc. If it's distance you're after, then use pellet and luncheon meat in PVA bags, put the lead in the same bag and you have one neat package for casting.
Carping, or any type/style of fishing is only as expensive as you want to make it.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
In any area of life a brand name will add an otherwise unjustifiable premium to a product. People are of course free to spend their hard earned money how they choose.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
When I go carping I use a hook and a bait... occasionally I'll hair rig a bait... but mainly just hook a prawn or a cockle or a bit of meat or corn... sometimes I don't even use a lead.... just freeline or a single swan shot... it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.... the deciding factor is how much of a tackle tart are you

Sportsman

Most of the carp "must haves" are completely unnecessary. Carp aren't exactly difficult to catch.
Rod, reel, line and baited hook are the only actual requirements. Everything else is just window dressing.
BTW, I think bait boats are an abomination and should be banned forthwith.

Silverfisher

Poles have got to be the most expensive bits of kit at the top end of the market, only high end fly rods can really compare with them. One thing for sure is that carp gear can be crazily over complicated, so many bits and bobs available that I personally don't have a clue what they are or what they do.

jay67

Site Supporter
how is a l
Poles have got to be the most expensive bits of kit at the top end of the market, only high end fly rods can really compare with them. One thing for sure is that carp gear can be crazily over complicated, so many bits and bobs available that I personally don't have a clue what they are or what they do.
how is a lead clip and a hooklength over complicated ? you could say all fishing is like that .

Silverfisher

Can be over complicated not always, can obviously be simple as well like the rig you describe jay which would be all I’d use if I did fish for Carp. I more meant that I’ve seen people using all sorts of clips, links, tubing etc which at least compared to all my fishing seem complicated.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
On the subject of the lead dropping off when you hook a fish will all these leads being being in the water presumably for many a year will this do harm to the water quality over time.

Lee Richards

Far less harm than a lot of bait (especially meat) that will go in and rot on the bottom.
The lead only drops off if snagged up and it's not every time you catch a fish

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
Far less harm than a lot of bait (especially meat) that will go in and rot on the bottom.
[/QUOTE

I was asking a question about the harm it might do not about something else that might be worse.
I thought the idea of the lead coming off was so the fish came to the surface quicker and i am sure i have seen video's where the lead is set so as soon as you strike it comes off.
It's not a criticism either just a question.

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
Some carp anglers chose to discharge the lead on every fish particularly in weedy venues or venues where bites are hard to come by.

Garyrlee1965

Watching videos by certain companies that is the impression they give. Definitely agree about certain baits how long will 10-20 kilos of boillies take to break down or is eaten. Probably why so many big carp look deformed. Best claim I saw was carp prefer certain baits because of nutritional values. Nice that they come up on bank and read ingredients lol.

Lee Richards

I didn't take it as a criticism fishcatcher4 (y) and yes you are correct that there are videos out there where the anglers do drop the lead every fish.
As Dusty points out there are instances where the lead will be dropped such as in deep silt or very weedy waters but generally there seems no rhyme or reason for this process as dropping a 3 or 4 oz lead is not really going to make much impact on a 30/40lb fish that will try to go where it wants to. (IMO it's just a fad that's caught on and a sales ploy by the trade)
This will be a rarity more than the norm and none of the lads I fish with or know will drop leads every time,unless you can make your own it's just to expensive. ( and especially on a water where you may get a fair few liners)

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
I didn't take it as a criticism fishcatcher4 (y) and yes you are correct that there are videos out there where the anglers do drop the lead every fish.
As Dusty points out there are instances where the lead will be dropped such as in deep silt or very weedy waters but generally there seems no rhyme or reason for this process as dropping a 3 or 4 oz lead is not really going to make much impact on a 30/40lb fish that will try to go where it wants to. (IMO it's just a fad that's caught on and a sales ploy by the trade)
This will be a rarity more than the norm and none of the lads I fish with or know will drop leads every time,unless you can make your own it's just to expensive. ( and especially on a water where you may get a fair few liners)
The main reason it’s done is so you are in direct contact with the fish as far as I’m aware it’s nothing to do with the weight.

When using a 3-4oz the lead will sit below the fish as you are playing it and may even snag up on things whereas if the lead is dumped then you are in direct contact with the fish.

Lee Richards

Gary, boilies are fair less of a problem even in high volumes than meat or high oil baits such as tinned meat,catmeat, trout pellets.
The oils in these baits when rotting go rancid and contaminate the natural ph balance of the water and cause oxygen starvation.
That's why meat is now banned on some venues as some anglers were using 8/10 tins or more per session/match.
Even meat that has been eaten by fish and then passed through will be still eaten by other fish and continues to cause contamination.

Good quality boilies are made from better quality products and even when they breakdown will have less of an impact on the ecosystem.
Fish love them and they provide a good balance of aminos and proteins which help the fish to grow and stay healthy.
Yes the carp will become disformed in shape if they eat too much but that is the same with every animal.

Lee Richards

"When using a 3-4oz the lead will sit below the fish as you are playing it and may even snag up on things whereas if the lead is dumped then you are in direct contact with the fish. "

If a fish is running away from you and the line is under tension the lead will be either laterally along the fish or above it.
Most carp rigs are bolt or heli and the hook is never usually more than 6" max away from the lead,with chod rigs it's less than that.
The 3 or 4oz weight is there to cause the bolt effect and on a tight line you are in direct contact with the fish anyway,once hooked up the only part the weight can play is that it can be something that could get snagged.