Can the Angling Weeklies Spoil a Fishery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I was gutted to see that my favourite little fishery has been "Highly Recommended" by one of the Angling Weeklies, in their "Where to Fish" section.

A few years ago, a specific stretch of river received a similar recommendation, and was invaded by all and sundry - bivvies, beer and barbecues at 2am. It was closed to the general public within 6 months.
I'd hate that to happen to this pond, and, knowing the owner, it might.
He's not in it for the money.

Do these reports have much of an impact on the pressure on fisheries?
Is there now a 6 year waiting list to get on Lochnaw, for example, after all the publicity?
Anybody have any similar experiences?

Auto

Terry
Site Supporter
I don't think it makes a lot of difference Banksy. Not many read the weeklies these days, the internet will have a much bigger effect. Word of mouth has always encouraged people to try venues that are fishing well. I don't think there's much you can do about it apart from go around telling everyone who'll listen that the place is fishing rubbish.

livesey4917

It is unfortunately a fine line I guess.
The fisheries must attract new custom as not many can afford to run their business for fun and not to make profit.
Its a shame that some of the lesser known fisheries may become swamped and potentially ruined by becoming overrun and over fished. I go to quite a few commercial fisheries and the clue i guess is in the title. I'm also a member of a small private pond, If i want to practice my match fishing I will go to one of the commies, If i want a nice quiet day catching fish at leisure I will go to our pond.

matchstickman25

This happens everytime. If you look at any water, its those with the reputation that get they anglers on the bank and the associated issues (rubbish, crime, predation, etc, etc). Loads of waters have been lost as a result.

That's why many people try to keep it secret.

Pickard1

I remember about 15 years ago opening the AT to find Bob Nudd sitting on my favorite peg at a local farm pond. I was horrified, and sure enough it was a little bit busier than normal for a few weeks, but soon enough it returned to normal.

davylad

Site Supporter
What pond are you talking about Banksy?[8D][8D][8D]

sly

all the bit better gear and still aint got a clue
Site Supporter
yrs ago in sheffield i used to fish crookes valley dam,it had carp in there but they wern`t fished for,as soon as it went into an angling mag the carpers started fishing it,3 rod ect ect and killed it for the pleasure anglers [:(]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've had several phone and email conversations with solicitors acting on behalf of their clients who own a fishery somewhere, who have objected about reviews or reports from members who have fished their fishery and posted negative reports of the fishery or their day's fishing.

The general tone is that the report/review is affecting their business and they're holding MD's responsible for the loss in trade.
Likewise I get the occasional email from fishery owners who have come across a report generally as a result of Googling their fishery name and finding a post or thread high up the rankings from MD's.

My general response is to sort out the the issues posted about and invite the angler back for another day - the suggestion has been taken up on several occasions and positive reports have then ensued.

Funny though no one has come to us complaining that they've had an increase in trade following a positive report although we know it does happen from advertiser feedback [:D]

vsmith1

Vinnie
I don't always believe the reports as I have seen them manipulated at times when stories have appeared that are fictitious and at best bend the truth.

A friend of mine who has sadly passed away fished a pond on the outskirts of Lancaster that used to be a trout water. He had a gift for catching the quality tench that were not known to reside in the pond before it was converted to a coarse fishery. A mag got wind of it and sent 2 anglers down who caught nowt but brazenly printed photos taken with my friends fish, who was there the same day.

They struck up the deal that they would share the info with the readers and give him the credit, but his name never appeared and they wrote about the great day they had!!!!!!! [:0]

My mate was gutted as he had looked forward to the article for weeks. [:C]

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Yes, in retrospect, I should have headed the post "Can Publicity Spoil a Fishery?"

Put like that, the answer must surely be "Yes, it can in certain circumstances."

Why else would some clubs and syndicates have a No Publicity rule?
And by the way, how many fantastic catches or even records have gone unnoticed because of No Publicity rules?

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Many...many moons ago, I used to fish the river Till at Saxilby, Lincolnshire, and had superb days catching Roach, Perch, Bream and Tench, until it had a devastating pollution from a farmland spillage. The river was useless for a few months/years and mainly ignored by it's usual fishermen. I fished it a few times with varying results but knew that earlier than thought, the fish were back in the system now the main pollution had washed through.
A good while after this a fisherman had a bag of 20lbs plus of Bream, good for any water in those days and this was publicised in the fishing papers.
I went on my usual day to fish and arrived early, as usual, to find it packed, both sides of the river both ways from my normal bridge access.
Frollicks...I thought, all this way for nothing. I got out of my vehicle and walked up onto the bridge, an amazing sight, fishermen as far as the bend in the river both ways and on both banks. Only one bank is available for fishing so half the people were fishing illegally but they didn't seem to care, they were after 20lbs of Bream.
There wasn't a peg available but as I looked from the bridge, right, towards Lincoln, the very first available spot at the side of the bridge I was standing on was unused. Might as well, I thought after a 40 mile journey, so I joined the "loonies" and cast a worm under the bridge on a small bomb and feeder rod. People started gathering on the bridge above me, bored and discussing how Frank the fishing was and had they been "hoaxed" by the papers, YES I thought you have but just then my rod went mad and I had a fish on, I tried to put the rod tip in the water and bring it in quietly but I was spotted by the host on the bridge and up went the cry of "HE's got one". By the time I had this beast towards the net the overlooking bridge was embarrassingly full of expectant anglers waiting to see the first of a haul of good sized Bream. It was an eel.....a decent eel...about a pound....I was gutted....and embarrassed....but when it finally went in the landing net, to do it's usual slimy wriggling tricks...it didn't. I took out the hook quite easily and released it back in the landing net to applause from the bridge. As far as I know that was the only catch of the day, people had gone to fish that venue solely on a report in a paper, true or not.
The write-ups can make things seem like it will be the same conditions when you fish there but normally they tell you..."You should have been here yesterday".

Dslayer

dslayer
There was an article in one of the angling monthlies a while back re: fishing on one of the local canals.

Luckily the writer wasn't copped - as the stretch he fished wasn't run by the club he claimed you get the day tickets from. Changed hands a long time ago, and the current club don't do day tickets AND are very hot on non-member's fishing their waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.