Britains Missing Dads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannysdad

Guv
Just watched the repeated Panorama prog on fathers who play no part in the upbringing of their children. One of them even forgot the names of 2 of his EIGHT kids. (someone in his 20's). (Birkenhead -Wirral). None of which he contributes towards their upbringing
Down in Brixton they showed a bloke who was trying his best to be part of his kids life, but, because of benefits, it was financially beneficial NOT to help in the childs upbringing.

When I was starting to "put it about" I was terrified of getting a girl "up the duff" and made sure I didn't!

How, as a society, are we going to make people responsible for THEIR actions?

CSA? hahaha?

Shez

Originally posted by Dannysdad2104

because of benefits, it was financially beneficial NOT to help in the childs upbringing.
Think you answered your own question there mate. I can't imagine for a minute putting any amount of money before spending time with my daughter but not everybody sees it like that. See how they can use the benefits system to their advantage and worry about the kids later.

There is also the other side of the story too, my younger brother hasn't seen his 2 sons for over a year now after being beaten up once and having threats made against his life by his ex's family....... the reason behind all this, him wanting to be a good Dad and "husband" (they lived together but not married) and her slagging it around behind his back. I see his sons from time to time, in the street, and would love to tell them the full story but it's not fair on the poor lads.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
We have the exact same problem over here. I think the mother should have to name the father and he should be held responsible for contributing to the child's welfare. If the mother is unable or unwilling to name the father she should be disqualified from benefits.
Maintenance money should be stopped out of the fathers pay packet or welfare payment. If it were I think you would see a sudden decline in the number of children born to people with no moral values.

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Site Supporter
I think the system should be harder on the mothers, support the first couple of children, but don't give as much support for say the 3rd & less again for 4th if they are conceived outside of a stable relationship. If they don't have such a generous safety net then they will think more about who they are making babies with. In particular I'd like to see the queue jumping for social housing restricted, how is it justified that a young genuine couple have to pay part of their taxes to support the irresponsible when they are saving to feather their own nest before starting a family?

Rant not over, I'll have another rant later on the thread.

groundhog

Life Survivor
Site Supporter
[:)]Unless the Mother Names the Father, then the mother should be Steralised, that way it prevents further sprogs, Also naming the father does not mean that they are going to support the child,But then the Father should be steralised,to prevent further sprogs.
The cost of the steralizations will work out a hell of a lot cheaper for society than the cost of keeping the children of the irresponsible parents.

Last edited:

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by groundhog

[:)] Also naming the father does not mean that they are going to support the child,
It does if it means he gets no choice. If he is named and proven to be the father, maintenance should be stopped from his pay packet or his dole money. It works in other countries. [:T]

groundhog

Life Survivor
Site Supporter
Originally posted by kevin o connor

Originally posted by groundhog

[:)] Also naming the father does not mean that they are going to support the child,
It does if it means he gets no choice. If he is named and proven to be the father, maintenance should be stopped from his pay packet or his dole money. It works in other countries. [:T]
[:)] Thats not always the case or so easy kevin mate,what happens when the father does not work officially,and does not sign on, but works bukshee cash in hand, pays nowt into the system, but on the other hand takes nowt out either.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
what about the girl that deliberately goes out to get pregnant - free council house, single mothers benefits, etc, etc?
Should the father then also be be forced to pay for a one night stand ?

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Contraception works both ways. We all did what we did when we were younger. Both should be responsible. I am looking at splitting from wife at the moment. According to CSA (or what ever it is called)I stay in this country and pay all my taxes and pay 464 per month towards there upkeeping (no problems there). She says she will not let them sleep over so have to pay 640 (how can that work) can drop them off at 8pm or 1am it is all the same depends on how many nights thet stay with you. Friend Can work abroad company willing to pay for 2 flights per year and have to pay 165 per month.

Cheaper to work away with webcam and save 290ish pound each month for another 1 or 2 weeks back home.

YB

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
[/quote]
[:)] Thats not always the case or so easy Kevin mate,what happens when the father does not work officially,and does not sign on, but works bukshee cash in hand, pays nowt into the system, but on the other hand takes nowt out either.
[/quote]

You do have a very good point there. If the father is named and proven to be the father, and it transpires he is not working legally or drawing dole, it can be assumed he is either very wealthy or working illegally. Either way a court order can make him responsible for his child's welfare and upkeep. After that it is up to the mother to go for maintenance from him. The big problem is, it is very easy to pass the book to the welfare state and let it be their problem. There will always be exceptions to every rule ,but if it is your child, it is your responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mickthechippy The Club House 13
Lee Richards The Club House 29
crackatoa The Politics Room 91
S The Club House 5
brian carragher The Club House 24