Brian the fish was talking about whips...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Site Supporter
I had great fun last year messing about with my cheap telescopic pole/whip thing, that I elasticated. I think I would like to buy myself a proper flick tip whip and I am wondering what to start looking at. I have tried searching the internet but most of the time I am landing on cheap telescopic jobs similar to what I already have.

I have seen others that seem to be very expensive but I don't really know what I am looking at in the way of price. The other thing is, the more expensive ones seem to come in sets - is it really necessary to buy several different lengths to start with?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ralph.

JohnTynan

I'll give advice from someone who has only used very cheap whips and never an expensive one.

3m and 4m very cheap whips are fine. I outfished plenty of people (sometimes everyone) last year using whips that cost me < 5. 5m+ cheap whips are horrible, horrible things. Don't go near them. Horrible!

In saying all that I've never fished with an expensive whip. But I wouldn't mind fishing for 5 or 6 hours with a cheap 3 or 4m whip at any time in the future. No problem at all.

I'm sure you could pick up a 'proper' 4m whip for just 30 or 40 quid though.

Last edited:

simplemind

Search e bay for Daiwa Champion 3.5 or 4m whip. Might be what you are looking for. Not too expensive either.

lea77

best to do is look for a tele/take apart model you will be able to use it from its shortest telescopic mode then add the take apart section as required .to use it at different lengths will need different rig lengths

DFL

The minute I saw that thread I thought of "Ralph" lol

Glad you haven't gone into total hibernation.

daveblack666

get a tele/take apart job, like the Daiwa Harrier / SR3 or whatever their current version is.
Basically top 3 telescopic and then you put on (just like a conventional pole) extra sections. These are normally 6 metres in total and give you loads of flexibility as you effectively get a 3m a 4m a 5m and a 6m whip!
If you get one with a spare top3 then you can elasticate one and retain the flick tip in the other.
This should last you years.
Keep an eye on E-Bay for secondhand ones. Although I've just checked and theres nothing on there worth bothering with at the moment.
Don't bother with a new cheap 50 6m whips as you'll soon come to hate it when used at full length.
Good luck

daveblack666

No, Am I bad, this is the sort of thing you should be looking at

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIWA-Harrier-X-System-Whip-/262803150616?hash=item3d3049d718:g:xtAAAOSw9GhYdi61

All you'd need to do is source a spare top 3 and you're sorted...

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
I got a few decent whips lurking in the depths of the tackle rooms, I dont use any more

shakespere suoerteam 8 mtr put together, some DAMS, various sizes, even some broken ones that could be salvaged by a competent DIY'er

would you like me to have a look see ?

nutmeg

Originally posted by mickthechippy

I got a few decent whips lurking in the depths of the tackle rooms, I dont use any more

shakespere suoerteam 8 mtr put together, some DAMS, various sizes, even some broken ones that could be salvaged by a competent DIY'er

If nobody else is interested l certainly would be in the shaky superteam, or maybe one of the others if you care to list or PM me the details and prices [:)]
Cheers.

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Site Supporter
Originally posted by mickthechippy

Thanks Mick, PM sent.

Ralph.

Kirtons

Site Supporter
The good vintage models like the daiwa zooms and harriers and the browning speed sticks still fetch top money, but the modern daiwa Preston and sensas ones are good quality and reasonably priced,, benwick sports has a good selection online

nejohn

I have a Daiwa Sr3 and can't fault it for the money, it gives you the flexibility of fishing all lengths plus with a no6 laccy in the hollow top 2 it gives you a really nice light short pole that is very capable of landing carp up to about 5/6lb. Yes the tri-cast is nicer and stronger but it is more than rice the price of the daiwa

JLK

If you have any Dam KC Clubman whips let me know and I'll have them all off you Mick. If the price is right that is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Arry The Corner Peg 1
mickthestick The Club House 26
B The Club House 10
1 The Club House 4
B The Club House 41