Braid

Warden

Site Supporter
Fished a place that requires 50m chuck to get to fish, have been told to use Braid on the reel, what are peoples thoughts?.
also recommendations there seems such a lot of variation in the price you pay ?and the breaking strain etc, fishing mainly for Bream,any advice welcome.
what do you use?.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
1st question you have to ask... does the fishery allow it...? Many don't

Warden

Site Supporter
Yes this one does.
(I personally would not use it for a hook length but that's for a different post)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
interested in this

I have recently bought a big 4oz spool of braid for the same purposes (berkely big game, rated at 10lb, low vis green) for its rating its mighty thin

intend to load it on shimano stradic 3000;s, pair of em with deep spools

I have been informed about using a backing line on the spools first, some fly fishing stuff

knots, do's and donts, leader lengths etc ???

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Always wet the spool to avoid wind knots before casting.... its a sod to pick out if you do

Nicky Dodds

Browning black magic feeder braid in 010 or 012 diameter. Cheapest of the big names and cheaper if you get it in the bobco sale. I have 2 reels loaded with it and 2 with matrix submerge. Both are totally reliable and get better with age. There's a good article on matchangler.com by the Vincent brothers doing a braid v mono comparison. I use a shockleader of 8lb and the leader lets you tie the rig of your choice. Keep your braid wet and don't strike, just pick up and feel the fish. If it's anything like Southfield I'd use a tip of 2 or 2.5oz.

GUCANGLER

hi, you definitely need to use a mono shockleader, there are various knots you can use to attach, i used to use the albright knot which is very neat and reliable but i found it a nightmare to tie a replacement on the bank in the wind and rain. I now just tie a simple double overhand loop in the braid and a six turn half blood knot in the mono to attach, trim the tags short, i use 8lb mono. As a starting length for leader, wind knot just on to reel and go up and down the rod with the mono(two rod lengths), one important aspect is to make sure the tip rings you use are large enough for the leader knot to pass comfortably through and watch for any debris build up on knot whilst fishing
Dave

fasteddy

TBH you don't need braid for 50 mtrs, if you've already got a reel spooled with suitable mono, that will do the job.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I chuck 50 metres regular on mono and no problems so far.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I would use browning black magic braid, in 0.10/0.12, tied direct to a 4/5ft of 6 lb mono, the bite detection is far superior, you’ll miss less bites aswell,, I change the short length of mono after every session, so this means, I only lose 4/6 inches of braid where I tie the fresh mono onto

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I agree that casting 50m with mono is possible, I can cast a 20g feeder 35m so with a slightly heavier feeder and a longer rod 50m should be no issue, Is the real issue one of bite detection? Would the lack of stretch in braid mean that that bites from bream would register better? There is a lot of stretch in 50m of mono.

As for what braid, sorry I haven't a clue.

map

Warden. Have a look at Catch fishing Channel on YouTube. All you need to know on there.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I don't have problems with Bream bites registering at 50m on mono. If there's one thing I do have a slight problem with it's those smaller fish like 1oz Roach. There's been a few times I've reeled in and had one not register, but that's fishing. I could blame a variety of things for that but normally it's when I take my eye off the tip, pouring a coffee for instance.

PP123

Do it. Have a look at KastKing on eBay, cheap and good quality.

I wish I’d done it years ago.