Bobs/Pelham Island River Trent Newark

tidgy38

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of fishing the above place, i cant find any reviews of it online, thinking of going down on a Friday night after work but its a good 3 hour drive from home! if anyone has fished it or knows anyone who has let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@tidgy38

There are not many pegs but can be productive not just for Barbel, but Bream, Carp, Chub, Zander, Roach and Tench as well. There's different swims with fast flowing river, some nice glides (for stick work) and weir pools. If you're having problems when searching for Bobs Island, try a search for the Scrapyard Stretch (same place, different name). This is what I came across. By the way, there are No bookings taken - first come, first served.
Hope this helps, Tight Lines. :upthumb:

Last edited:

tidgy38

Excellent, thanks for that, im going to go down on the friday night if there are a couple of pegs then great if not then im off on a night hunt for a stretch of the trent to fish ha.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
You should get a peg, but the best ones more than likely will be taken. Pellet, worm, maggot and casters will be your best friends (with sweetcorn as back up).

tidgy38

I always have a tin of sweetcorn in my tackle bag ha. ah well its worth a shot, been doing a few overnighters on the severn near the unicorn inn at hampton loade recently so fancy a change.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Just be prepared because one or two of the swims are 'snaggy' but good sport can be had. And take plenty of hemp and feeders. ;)

tidgy38

Thanks for the heads up on the snags, difficult to see when you arrive in the dark.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Just one more thing, if you need a good breakfast after your stint, try Morrisons in Newark. :upthumb:

Dusty Rhodes

@tidgy38

There are not many pegs but can be productive not just for Barbel, but Bream, Carp, Chub, Zander, Roach and Tench as well. There's different swims with fast flowing river, some nice glides (for stick work) and weir pools. If you're having problems when searching for Bobs Island, try a search for the Scrapyard Stretch (same place, different name). This is what I came across. By the way, there are No bookings taken - first come, first served.
Hope this helps, Tight Lines. :upthumb:

Just out of curiosity, the website claims barbel 20lb+, has this stretch ever done a barbel of that size? Considering the barbel record is a tad over 21lb.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Dusty Rhodes

Oooh, I missed that. it's some claim but not heard of one that size come out. I have witnessed a 16lb'er though while on a weekender there. Makes me want to get my cloth house out again and dust off the Barbel gear.

bezzer

Site Supporter
@tidgy38 I fished Bob's Island just before Christmas and don't think I'll ever be going back. This was my post in the Trent thread -

I spent yesterday morning down on Bob's Island fishing a very coloured and fast moving river. No Barbel, but did manage a couple of Bream, biggest just shy of 4lb.

It was my first visit and will probably be my last one too. It saddens and annoys me that fellow anglers can leave so much litter. There were discarded cans, bottles, meat tins, groundbait bags and line all over the place. I bought a load of it back with me, it's not exactly difficult is it.
I may have seen it on a bad day, but the whole place was just horrible. There were also piles of rubble all over the place, looks like its a favourite with the fly tippers. When I go back to the Trent, I'll be getting venue advice from @Northantslad and @Barbel seeker

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@sly knows this stretch too. It was fairly clean the last time I fished it, but that was 2 years ago.

tidgy38

Thanks for the info, it is the most annoying thing in the world, how hard is it to pick up after yourself, imagine what their houses are like.

sly

all the bit better gear and still aint got a clue
Site Supporter
Last time I went,8 mm hallibut pellet in a ball bag 3 ft tail with 10 mm pellet on hair rig also luncheon meat on same set up,as for now ain't got a clue :upthumb::upthumb:

tidgy38

Last time I went,8 mm hallibut pellet in a ball bag 3 ft tail with 10 mm pellet on hair rig also luncheon meat on same set up,as for now ain't got a clue :upthumb::upthumb:
The pellet rig is probably what i will start with and see what happens from there, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: sly

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Are you trying to say that a baseball bat and large dog would be part of your tackle requirements? :)