Bobco Black Friday Sale

Scribe

Site Supporter
Bobco's Black Friday Sale has started already, use code BLACK10 at the checkout for 10% off.

Nice one Bobco (y)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Bobco's Black Friday Sale has started already, use code BLACK10 at the checkout for 10% off.

Nice one Bobco (y)
Yup seen that and had a quick decko. I'm focussing on one particular brand at the moment. One rod looks a good deal, and the reel I'm after looks a really good deal with the RRP they are using, but checking with the manufacturer's 2020 RRP, it isn't, so I'll wait till the new year for that one

Cobweb

Site Supporter
It's only 10% off so not as good as their usual sales!
The Browning Sphere MgTi reel that I'm interested in isn't even that in real time as the RRP quoted is £60 above Browning's own RRP for both 2019, and 2020 catalogues

However the Champions Choice Silverlite feeder pro rods are a deal at 17% off, and the Daiwa TDM reel is a good deal, but sadly, I've already got one

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
The Browning Sphere MgTi reel that I'm interested in isn't even that in real time as the RRP quoted is £60 above Browning's own RRP for both 2019, and 2020 catalogues

However the Champions Choice Silverlite feeder pro rods are a deal at 17% off, and the Daiwa TDM reel is a good deal, but sadly, I've already got one
I’ve pm’d you

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
10% of a genuine price is a lot more than 10% off an inflated Black Friday price Pole-Fisher-90 :)

At the end of the day, they've still got to cover their bills, pay wages, and hopefully make some profit.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
10% of a genuine price is a lot more than 10% off an inflated Black Friday price Pole-Fisher-90 :)

At the end of the day, they've still got to cover their bills, pay wages, and hopefully make some profit.
Everyone has overheads and pricing should take account of that. However, falsely inflating a discount, does not engender trust, and is therefore bad business. Do you want your customers to come back or go elsewhere?

I've challenged BobCo directly about this tactic before, and I was not impressed with the response. On another product they offered to give me 10% off. This still put the deal around the RRP (or slightly above on the manufacturer's latest catalogue prices). I got a better deal from my local tackle shop on that one

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You've miss-read my post @Cobweb - I was not implying that BobCo inflated their prices pre discounts, more the contrary. Other retailers do however and it is being reported in the press that 90% of retailers are doing just this for Black Friday deals.

chris1967

just ordered a margin pole friday from them only to find out black friday sale on monday ,5 days early aaaarrrrrggggghhhh. Its not really a one day sale is it any more

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Bobco have now reached the stage where they are victims of their own success.
Because they have discounted heavily in the past,ran very good offers and shown a bias to participants of this forum it is now expected as the norm.

Modern business does not work that way and Bobco has to be flexible in its operation and the end of the day the buyer still has freedom of choice.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
We moan when yet another fishing tackle shop falls by the wayside yet want the same tackle shop to be there in the future. Think about it, do / did we all work for nothing in our jobs ? Buisness has to make a lot more than you think just to stay open. There are costs coming at you from every angle. I know, I had 35 years at it.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
We moan when yet another fishing tackle shop falls by the wayside yet want the same tackle shop to be there in the future. Think about it, do / did we all work for nothing in our jobs ? Buisness has to make a lot more than you think just to stay open. There are costs coming at you from every angle. I know, I had 35 years at it.
Spot on, mate. And overheads only travel in one direction....up.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
You've miss-read my post @Cobweb - I was not implying that BobCo inflated their prices pre discounts, more the contrary. Other retailers do however and it is being reported in the press that 90% of retailers are doing just this for Black Friday deals.
Sorry for any misunderstanding. I agree that retailers who deliberately make their "carrot" look a lot juicier than it is, need to be reined in. Supermarkets have been a classic example of this. Even the regulation requiring them to state how long the original price was on the shelf for, doesn't go far enough in my view. At least tackle suppliers are not constantly changing their stock item prices every week as supermarkets seem to do for many products. The redeeming thing for us angling customers is that while tackle manufacturers themselves continue to publish RRPs for their equipment, we will always have a benchmark to compare prices to, but there should be an enforceable rule which prevents and penalises sellers from publishing inaccurate RRPs where it can be misinterpreted as the manufacturer's RRP

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Whether it be an item of fishing tackle, a house, a new car, anything really, its only worth what folk are willing to pay for it. My 24 year old daughter makes me smile. She is still at an age where clothes and makeup mean everything to her. She said to me over the weekend .... " I have buyers remorse dad ". " Buyers remorse ? Whats that ? I said " " Ive bought a little black dress for over Christmas and Ive seen it in another shop £15 cheaper ". At this point I tried my best not to laugh. " Well, when you purchased the dress were you happy to pay that price ? " I asked. " yes " She replied. " Well then, whats the problem ? " This is a young woman who is an area manageress for Marks & Spencer. She pays more in tax than most folk earn as a salary. And shes moaning about 15 quid. Do you not think we have simply got into an habit of ' expecting ' something knocking off ? In business I worked out a price for materials, labour, running costs etc and forwarded that as an estimate or a quote. If the customer thought it was expensive Id say .... Ok, thats fine, let me know if youd like us to quote for any other work in the future. 9/10 times the customer would come back with ..... Oh, ok then, I suppose if thats what it is then thats what it is. Folk simply trying it on. Ive heard Wise Owl say similar things about some builders hes worked for.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Whether it be an item of fishing tackle, a house, a new car, anything really, its only worth what folk are willing to pay for it. My 24 year old daughter makes me smile. She is still at an age where clothes and makeup mean everything to her. She said to me over the weekend .... " I have buyers remorse dad ". " Buyers remorse ? Whats that ? I said " " Ive bought a little black dress for over Christmas and Ive seen it in another shop £15 cheaper ". At this point I tried my best not to laugh. " Well, when you purchased the dress were you happy to pay that price ? " I asked. " yes " She replied. " Well then, whats the problem ? " This is a young woman who is an area manageress for Marks & Spencer. She pays more in tax than most folk earn as a salary. And shes moaning about 15 quid. Do you not think we have simply got into an habit of ' expecting ' something knocking off ? In business I worked out a price for materials, labour, running costs etc and forwarded that as an estimate or a quote. If the customer thought it was expensive Id say .... Ok, thats fine, let me know if youd like us to quote for any other work in the future. 9/10 times the customer would come back with ..... Oh, ok then, I suppose if thats what it is then thats what it is. Folk simply trying it on. Ive heard Wise Owl say similar things about some builders hes worked for.
I think it has always be a good thing in principle to bargain - people expect it - certainly those trading from a market stall. Sometimes I get the feeling that a dealer or trader would feel insulted if a buyer didn't try to haggle. Our problem in the world of retail outlets is that most shop managers are salaried, and unlikely to be allowed the discretion (or lack the incentive to) match prices with competition to capture custom

I think foreknowledge is a great thing when looking to hire someone to say build an extension to your home. For example, you can talk about stage completion percentages etc and avoid excessive up front payments and a disappearing contractor happy to have pocketed your money for little outlay. The other side of the coin is ensuring that the materials you paid for in the construction project are the ones actually used

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Neil ofthe nene Fishing Talk 14
Trogg Fishing Talk 126
Dave Fishing Talk 15
WrightyM Fishing Talk 15
Dave Fishing Talk 94