Bmw dpf problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAST HOUR

Hi I have a bmw with 97000 miles on the clock and the dpf is showing blocked warning light this is the second time in 2.5 years the car does get a good run out every day so am looking at getting the dpf gutted and remapped is this the way to go pro's & cons please?

CJROSCOW

Clint
same problems with my vauxhall mate. Miss sold as I don't do enough miles. Broke down when it was less than a year old due to blocked dpf. Fortunately they replaced free of charge as I kicked up a fuss and it was them who advised me to give it a blast up the mway (where i broke down). The dpf was too full to regenerate apparently. I have to make sure I give it a good blast (mway speeds at least 15mins) at least weekly. My light was coming on every journey after about five minutes driving in the last few weeks. Went to visit my brother last week down in the cotswolds. No issues at all now as that's more than 8 hours there and back so mustve cleaned the filter fully. I can't vouch for the BMW but mine needs to be run at over 2000rpm to burn it off in some cases for a significant amount of time. THe problem with getting rid of the dpf is you may not pass an MOT. Sure there are some experts on here who will advise.

Spenceuk99

I know a few lads at work that get their cats bypassed and dpf taken out whenever they get new wheels.

They swear by it and remapping.

Though you don't have to go on the motorway to clean it, just drive in a lower gear to keep the revs up.

Last edited:

Stealth

DPF fitment is now part of the MOT. Removal or evidence that it's been gutted will mean a fail. Try an "Italian tune up" first. (That's a good blast down the motorway in a suitable gear to keep the revs above 2500 rpm )

Stretch1066

Life member
Site Supporter
You may also find that if you have messed with the engine, ie remapping and not told your insurance, they may refuse to pay out if you have a claim!!

Kevsmith

Get it taken out. Had constant problems with my 5 series and all it did was motorway miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.