Blood pressure

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Well after 49 years on this planet I have joined the club of having high blood pressure. Got to take one tablet a night.

Love this getting older.

YB

angel

Site Supporter
Congratulation Yorkieboy70 ! Welcome to the club. I've been on them for years my BP now is rock steady.
The thing now that raises it is the constant doctors letters (had another this very morning) asking for blood tests and God's knows what else so they can tick their boxes and get you onto Statins.
Once you reach a magic age it seems you are fair game for medical research and unlimited tests. Have you been registered (without your knowledge) onto the 'poo' test programme yet? It's a right faff to get your name taken off it.
Its got to the point now where I just read and then bin them.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Refusing the tests was my first reaction.
Then my wife asked me how bloody daft I'd feel, when I was diagnosed with advanced, untreatable bowel cancer.
She's right.
:oops:

Chervil

Site Supporter
Refusing the tests was my first reaction.
Then my wife asked me how bloody daft I'd feel, when I was diagnosed with advanced, untreatable bowel cancer.
She's right.
:oops:
Sent mine off this week. I was 60 on the 15th Oct and my test came through the post a week later.

Cobweb

Well after 49 years on this planet I have joined the club of having high blood pressure. Got to take one tablet a night.

Love this getting older.

YB
I've had 2 heart attacks so those pills amongst others are pretty much compulsory for me. My first official MI was in 1999 when I was 48. I'm now on 18 pills a damn day. BP unaffected by fishing?

John Step

Site Supporter
I am lucky in my genes. That and regular exercise since forever. 130 / 80 and pulse resting 60/min at 71yrs I am told that aint bad. I hope I am not heading for a complacent surprise.

Cobweb

I am lucky in my genes. That and regular exercise since forever. 130 / 80 and pulse resting 60/min at 71yrs I am told that aint bad. I hope I am not heading for a complacent surprise.
A good point. Inherent faults in our genetic structure can leave us more or less vulnerable to such things. Stress of course has the effect of raising BP, as has too much salt, alcohol and so on. I take 4 BP tablets a day, and have been doing that for the last 10 years. As I don't work, that makes things pretty stable and my BP sits around 120 over 60 (I'm 68) which keeps the medics reasonably happy

Sportsman

18 years ago I was on BP tablets and statins, and was diagnosed as diabetic. A prime candidate for heart disease.
8yrs ago, on the advice of a very wise Doctor, I started to concentrate on the cause of my problems, rather than just the symptoms, and stopped taking the BP meds and statins The problem was stress, causing high cortisol levels, the probable cause of heart attack
Last year I had a stroke and now I am on an anticoagulant and a heart regulator, but whilst in hospital I had a battery of tests and scans. My cholesterol is on the low side of normal and an average BP is 130/85 compared to 180/115 when I was on the medication.
Yesterday I was talking to a customer who is about the same age (early 70s) and we were complaining about the problems of getting older. His response was "don't worry, it won't last long"
Nice thought.

Cobweb

18 years ago I was on BP tablets and statins, and was diagnosed as diabetic. A prime candidate for heart disease.
8yrs ago, on the advice of a very wise Doctor, I started to concentrate on the cause of my problems, rather than just the symptoms, and stopped taking the BP meds and statins The problem was stress, causing high cortisol levels, the probable cause of heart attack
Last year I had a stroke and now I am on an anticoagulant and a heart regulator, but whilst in hospital I had a battery of tests and scans. My cholesterol is on the low side of normal and an average BP is 130/85 compared to 180/115 when I was on the medication.
Yesterday I was talking to a customer who is about the same age (early 70s) and we were complaining about the problems of getting older. His response was "don't worry, it won't last long"
Nice thought.
Ha! Ha! It has been 20 years since my first MI and I still seem to be getting to the bank. I agree stress is a big contributor to high BP but so is alcohol in quantity. Yes there is a link between heart disease and diabetes, but having one doesn't necessarily mean that the other will always follow. I was diagnosed with the heart problem first. The diabetes came years later

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Same here, high blood pressure killed my dad, as far as i know my elder brother has it, and on my mums side, my mum has it, my uncle has it and both my grandparents on mums side had it.... i guess i'm just unlucky!

Trogg go and see your Doctor. Taking medication is a lot better than sucomming to a stroke.
That photo was taken at the doctors mate, it's the machine they used to take my bloodpressure!