Blanking

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodonly

I fish a tough natural lake because family commitments demand my limited finances, this water can be a bit of a soul destroyer nine times out ten, so i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to maintain morale.

Koppat

How about asking on the forum if there are any lads (or lasses) who live in your area who would be willing to offer you a lift to another location and share petrol costs

12f2004

Hi mate. Why not name the venue then members could pehaps give specific advice.

maggot and caster should catch on a natural water I'd have thought.

Have you plumbed it? You definately sure it has a head of fish in there?

roman

What tactics are you using and what bait's? so easy to full into a trap or thinking one method/bait will work everytime..if your blanking nine times out of ten then surly the nine times you have gone away and wished you tried something better ? a good fisherman will always be forward thinking by learning by mistakes and quick to correct them..as for morale'never give up the fight...

Ivan heaphurst

See if you can find a local venue that will give you a bite a chuck. Not as daft as it might seem but if my confidence is low after a few fishless days, I Take off to the Trent and Mersey cannal where I can catch gudgeon and bits all day. Nothing big but just to see the float dissapearing is a boost to the confidence.

delk

hi mate theres a natural pond near me and its hard going its a big diffrence from a commercail i tend to go up late and feed up the night before as said above maggot goes well and corn seems to work for me

Demon Nick

bag'em/tubertini
hi mate just keep going this time of year always hard going!!get a good book to read there's some good ones about.

demon nick

Last edited:

rodonly

The water is Arrowe Park lake in upton on the wirral and is extremely tempremental even in the summer. I'm not a novice and have plumbed up properly and i always have alternative baits to use but quite often changes of bait,depth,technique prove to be no help.

fitz62

well mate do you have "books" round you're way ? im not trying to be funny, we do around here ,you can buy say a leeds book that will give you access to loads of waters ,different area's will have their own book ,they are not expensive @ 20 pounds for the year,also some ponds have year books at pretty much the same price .have a ride around the tackle shops in you're area and ask around

BornAgainFisher

I fish a huge natural water and have found that the key to catching well is to spend an hour or so walking the banks watching for signs of fish before even getting the tackle out of the car, watching for fish topping or fish eating birds devouring their meal will show you where the fish most likely are. On natural waters where the fish aren't stocked in high densities the fish move around and whole areas of the lake can be devoid of fish, this is even more true in the colder months where the fish may not move from one spot for weeks so choosing a swim is the most important part of the days fishing.
Keeping mobile is another approach that works and if you haven't had a bite within an hour or so a move to a different part of the lake can bring results.

gibby

Bornagainfisher is talking sense. I fish a lot of natural lakes and particularly in winter, location is the key.

Before you start, walk around the lake to see if you can any signs of fish activity . Remember in cold weather the fishes metabolic rate will be low, they wont be as hungry as they are in summer and they will only feed once the temperature moves up a bit, so theres no point in arriving at the crack of dawn. Also if its a particularly cold day look for any location where the temperature is likely to be a degree or two warmer, such as where the sun is hitting the water, anywhere sheltered from the wind, or where a small stream runs into the lake.

Fish as light as you dare. Unless you are fairly certain there are carp about I would use a 1.5bs hook length and a 20 hook. I dont know what baits work best on your lake, but for me I find that a single maggot or a scrap of worm work best on natural lakes in winter, although a grain of corn can work in coloured water. Ground baiting in winter is usually a waste of time and money and all you need is a few hook samples. If you dont get a bite within 30 minutes, I would move on so its wisest to travel as light as possible. Once it starts to get dark, don't pack up immediately. I don't know why, but just before dark seems to be a productive time, particularly for the roach.

Dont despair mate, you can and will catch in winter on estate lakes if you try hard enough and are prepared to move around and look for the fish rather than them waiting to come to you. When you do. give yourself a pat on the back. Any idiot can catch on an overstocked commercial, it takes a proper angler to coax a few silvers out of an estate lake in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.