Blanking on the soar with my new seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pickard1

I had been thinking about trying the Soar in the middle of Leicester for a few weeks after seeing a shoal of dog bream sunbathing in the middle of the summer. Yesterday I picked up an octoplus super stool, which I thought would be ideal for this venue as there is a busy towpath and it is also a long walk from any access points.

Here is a picture of the peg I fished today taken on 2nd july, if you look carefully there are some dark shadows

When I arrived just after dawn things were already not looking good. Even though we have had a couple of good days of rain, it doesn't even seem to have touched the sides, there was no colour in the river. I could see at least 6ft down into the margins.

I had decided to just fish the pole feeding worm and castor as I was after big fish. This was probably a mistake, I should have adjusted my plan when I saw the state of the river.

Worms from my compost heap with dark groundbait.

I balled in about 8 balls and fished over it for 3 hours. It was about 10ft deep at 14m out. After scaling down to single pinkie I managed to get my bait sucked, but it didn't even register a bite!

For the last hour I fished castor and hemp at 5m to try and tempt some roach, but not even a sniff.

As I was packing up a fella walked by and told me there was a big shoal of bream 2 pegs down [:(!] Sure enough we could see their dorsal fins poking out of the water. After a minute of watching them a heron swooped over the top causing them to bolt. An area of the surface the size of a snooker table erupted as they swam off [:(!]

In some ways I wish I hadn't of seen them, because it'll only encourage me to try again....which will almost certainly end in another blank!

On a positive note the super stool was pretty good. It was very sturdy, even with a pole roost and a couple of baitwaiters strapped to it......obviously you wouldn't want to use a brolly arm or spray bar with it because then it probably would topple over[:D]

slappy2

sorry to hear blanked buddy :- (

How did the new box feel and is the seat good??
got be better then the xitan one i got ,lol

Pickard1

The box was very comfortable, I didnt feel any different to sitting on my preston on box. I think that is fairly impressive considering that the seat is moulded plastic rather than padded.

I considered a xitan and also the sensas 200. The only thing that made me go for the octoplus was that there was one for sale a couple of miles from where I live. To be honest I was a bit dubious as there seemed to be quite a lot of the octoplus seats for sale 2nd hand on ebay, but none of the browning or sensas - which I thought might be an indication that they are not very good....but I cant see any issues so far.

perch basher

hi picard1 when you go again dont ball groundbait as this kills it fish bread punch and the bream will show if not the roach will ifyou want to know anymore about it contact oadby angling

slappy2

thats what i thought about browning one,
everything else is brill too!!
Are change seat find it too hard : - )

Do love this box tho,but none around my area for sale

Kilbz

Michael
This looks very close to me! I live in the braunstone bit of leicester, ive been very tempted to fish the soar recently mate if you go again drop me a pm and i will join you!

Pickard1

Perch basher - thanks for the advice. I definitely don't think I'd try the same approach again. I just got a bit greedy having seen those proper slabs and thought I'd ball it in.
I should have fished a more conservative method such as bread and just caught what came along, rather than going sh1t or bust with the worm! It would have been a good bit cheaper too! I think I would still favor a bit of groundbait when it colours up, but definitely the wrong approach while its still gin clear.

Kilbz-I think the stretch is locally known as the 12 arches - owing to that big bridge having a total of 12 arches as it spans across the river and flood plain. It is behind the walkers stadium, you can access it from off Narborough road, sort of opposite the wilko's on Narborough road, so not that far from that side of Braunstone. Wether i'd recomend it to anyone else though is another matter - ive blanked down here twice now!

oggy 1

Its full of fish mate. look on the wigston angling club site . some pictures of the roach you can catch & a nice feature for a mag .

supersuperleeds

I bike down that stretch nearly every day on my way to and from work. Is on the Wigston Angling card. Never fished this end, normally stick to crow mills. Over the summer I had seen large shoals of bream a little way up the canal (I know you called it the River Soar, this is the canalised stretch of it)they where just passed the lock beyond the white bridge you can see in the picture. Was thinking of piking a little bit further up, a 20 came out last winter somewhere along there. Also were you fished have seen some very big carp swimming along the concrete bank in the summer

Pickard1

If you listen to older people they will tell you that 20 or 30 years ago the river was solid with fish.
There was a power station pumping out hot water which allowed the carp to breed.
The dye works on the Aylestone rd were a bit shoddy when it came to the environment and kept the water nicely colored....blue...red...green.... either way the fish fed.

It all sounds reasonable to me. I am sure the fish are still there, conditions are not conducive to catching them though. The day I fished it was a bad day. I am sure that with a bit of color and flow a few fish would be possible.

oggy 1

yes the warm water came from the power station where the football ground is now. Still plenty of big carp about. for the roach id fish bread punch. for more info on this stretch id get in contact with adam nurse who is the wigston sec & has fished these parts for years

dstev

Dave
Originally posted by supersuperleeds

I bike down that stretch nearly every day on my way to and from work. Is on the Wigston Angling card. Never fished this end, normally stick to crow mills. Over the summer I had seen large shoals of bream a little way up the canal (I know you called it the River Soar, this is the canalised stretch of it)they where just passed the lock beyond the white bridge you can see in the picture. Was thinking of piking a little bit further up, a 20 came out last winter somewhere along there. Also were you fished have seen some very big carp swimming along the concrete bank in the summer
I was thinking to myself it doesn't look like a River!

Unlucky Pickard, wait the conditions to unsettle a little and try again! Infact, you may do better today!

oggy 1

Its the river soar mate. abit further up the canal meets the river. Although it flows very slightly & has a big weir just down from this peg. This is where you would have found ivan marks & the leicester likely lads in the day.

T K

Bum Draw Master
Originally posted by oggy 1

yes the warm water came from the power station where the football ground is now. Still plenty of big carp about. for the roach id fish bread punch. for more info on this stretch id get in contact with adam nurse who is the wigston sec & has fished these parts for years

Details of Nursey's latest Wigston AC matches coming up are detailed here [:T]

http://simplematchfishing.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1322423847

Pickard1

Originally posted by dstev

I was thinking to myself it doesn't look like a River!

Unlucky Pickard, wait the conditions to unsettle a little and try again! Infact, you may do better today!
I am afraid that the little bit of rain that we have had hasn't made any difference.
I went piking today on the river up birstal/watermead way. The river was crystal clear, you could see the bottom right the way across. I didn't see a single fish in about 4 hours fishing.

At lunch I moved to kibworth on the canal which has more color - 3 perch, 3 pike in 2 hours [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.