Bite alarms

tidgy38

Hi,

I was wondering if you could use bite alarms for feeder fishing, i only ask because a peg i fished on today was to narrow to get the quiver tip set up and too windy to use a swing tip, would the bites be too quick or soft for a bite alarm if you were fishing for skimmers, roach odd small carp ect?

And before anyone moans about bite alarms i always have a carp rod out with the bite alarm on its lowest volume and dont constantly mess about with it to annoy other people:LOL::LOL:

Any thoughts would be greatfully recieved i am still getting used to all this fishing malarky.

Cheers in advance

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Yes you can, as long as you set the clutch or baitrunner up. Set the sensitivity on the alarm to suit the conditions or you may get indications from the wind etc.

tidgy38

Hhhmmm good thinking, was thinking of maybe using a bobbin to give them a tiny bit of line to run with maybe?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
A bobbin will also give you a visual indication. ;)

tidgy38

Thats true, maybe i could attach a little bell to a bobbin and forget all about the bite alarm, wind permitting obviously ha.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
My alarms have 6 sensitivity settings. On a peg that you describe I would set mine to 5th setting and a bobbin at around 4 or 5 inch hang down.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I have used many things, including the old type tops off washing up liquid bottles. As you said...them were the days. :D

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Do a search for a 'side winder' - basically its a form of quivertip that fits near the butt section of your rod and gives accurate bite indication when your rod is pointing directly at your bait.

The nearest I could find to the original design is this one: Premier Tipmaster X-treme Sidewinder Quivertip inc. 3 tips Fishing tackle | eBay but in all fairness it wouldn't be hard to make to the original design if you have a spare quivertip and a Terry Clip

crowder

Have you heard of the Polaris sidewinder? They are about £12.

** Edit, Dave beat me to it.

tidgy38

I have never seen that before, looks like it would be a handy piece of kit, thanks guys.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
They used to be a get out of jail fix when you fished a swim where swingtips and quivertips couldn't be used due to side obstructions and bankside growth. Plus when it was windy , especially on the reservoirs and lakes, you could dip the rod tip under the water pointed at your bait and see the smallest of bites close up.

tidgy38

Thats the exact issue i had today this would have been perfect, i am still trying to figure out how it doesnt get in the way of casting/retrieving ect ha

Pigmeal

Do a search for a 'side winder' - basically its a form of quivertip that fits near the butt section of your rod and gives accurate bite indication when your rod is pointing directly at your bait.

The nearest I could find to the original design is this one: Premier Tipmaster X-treme Sidewinder Quivertip inc. 3 tips Fishing tackle | eBay but in all fairness it wouldn't be hard to make to the original design if you have a spare quivertip and a Terry Clip
Sidewinder goes near tip of rod I think

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Nope, it clips to the butt section.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Heres a video of one in action...

tidgy38

Would be great if instead of an eye it had a spiral so you could take the line out for casting, i get in enough tangles all on my own.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Tackle Talk 21
F Tackle Talk 14
K Tackle Talk 9
tidgy38 Fishing Talk 65
N Tackle Talk 0