bite alarms

tidgy38

Hi everyone,

How do bite alarms actually work, i mean where does the line go, is it above or below a little wheel in the optronic?

Cheers

CarpCatcher86

The line sits on top of the small rubber wheel. you don't have to position it or anything, just put the rod down on the alarm like you would any other rod rest and the line will sit on top of the rubber wheel. at least I think they are rubber. some even have a groove in the wheel for the line to sit in.

Sam Vimes

It depends on the brand. Most work with some kind of roller wheel. Delkims have a little Y shaped vibration sensing arm.

tidgy38

Cheers for that, I have just got back into fishing after a small 25 year break, I have been fishing a small commercial lake near me, I am having a lot of fun with the little crucians, roach ect on the float in the margins with corn but I can see the bigger carp a bit further out so was thinking about putting a second rod out with a simple ledger set up and some luncheon meat

CarpCatcher86

I would go for a feeder/ledger rod over a carp rod and bite alarm on small fisheries. I see so many people using them and in such a situation they are pointless. by the time you get to your rod the fish will have either dropped your hook bait or will have run out of places to swim. you aren't going to get big long runs on small fisheries. a feeder or ledger rod will give you much better bite indication, obviously you have to be near your rod, optional of course but it does help a lot.

tidgy38

I would go for a feeder/ledger rod over a carp rod and bite alarm on small fisheries. I see so many people using them and in such a situation they are pointless. by the time you get to your rod the fish will have either dropped your hook bait or will have run out of places to swim. you aren't going to get big long runs on small fisheries. a feeder or ledger rod will give you much better bite indication, obviously you have to be near your rod, optional of course but it does help a lot.

Thats what i was thinking its only tiny, the carp do not have that far to run, i used to love feeder fishing.

CarpCatcher86

Get the gear out and try it again (y) it's a great way of bagging up on commercials these days.

tidgy38

I'm going to try it play with a waggler in the margins on corn, and feed a swim a bit further out later on in the day for the carp on a simple ledger with luncheon meat, hopefully that will bring me something nice.

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
FYI when using a bite alarm you also need to use a hanging indicator (like an old fashioned bobbin) - you hang it off the line close to the bite alarm (usually between alarm and reel and often the indicator is attached to a chain that fits onto the bank stick before the alarm is screwed onto it).
This way there is always some tension on the line causing it to sit properly in the roller/wheel of the bite alarm.
Without this hanging indicator in place the bite alarm would never work as the line having no tension on it wouldn't sit onto the wheel enough to move it when a bite occurs.
You could just fish using the hanging indicator as a visual aid but if you're fishing more than one rod or don't fancy staring between your reel and first rod ring for the whole session then that's when you'd use a bite alarm.
As recommended though I'd agree you're best off fishing the float or the tip.....
(proper fishing!!!)

Hope that all makes sense.......it's gotten a bit late!!:eek:(y)(y)

tidgy38

Thanks for that, I used to use an old cotton reel a couple of aa shot and a Bobby pin with an isotope in it for night fishing bream haha I have just bought some proper ones of eBay though

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
PLEASE turn it down as only you need to hear it. It can be very irritating to hear an alarm being set up at the other end of the lake over and over again.
You can set an alarm with at the most one single bleep, after casting out and sinking the line place your rod into the rests but put the line to one side of the alarm, tighten up the line with the bobbin attached and put the bait runner function on. Then gently lift the rod up at the position of the alarm leaving the butt in the rest just enough so the line centers into the alarm and lower the rod onto the alarm, job done. I use Delkims and l can put my rods onto them silently.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Sorry to say but there is absolutely no place for a bite alarm on a commercial. Normally restricted to one rod and bites more frequent than a "carp" water means you will annoy many other anglers and gain zero benefit.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Disagree with that Neil as I have fished on a fair few Commies where everyone has had a real grueller.
One of my clubs has a fair few older anglers and some of them prefer to use a one rod set-up with a bite alarm.
If it means that it still allows them to go fishing and it's less demanding then I am all for it.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I only use an alarm when carp fishing, it gives me an audible if I'm tying rigs, preparing pva bags etc. I don't bother with one when using the tip rod.

jay67

Site Supporter
makes me chuckle when i see people using carp rods / pit reels / buzzers etc on small commercials . 12lb line . size 6 hooks . 18mm boilies . always ask what they caught "5lb carp mate"

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
sleeping whilst fishing just isn't fishing!!

both Neil and Phoenix put across valid points that i find myself agreeing with despite them being polar opposites!

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use my alarms when fishing for large tench, bream, roach and crucian's be it day or night
If that is on a commercial so be it. Marsh Farm is a commercial and that's where the record came from, and ìm expecting maybe 6 bites in 12 to 18 hours and that's on two or even 3 rods.
I don't match fish, l don't carp fish, but I do fish fish-ins where fish caught are weighed immediately.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Tackle Talk 21
F Tackle Talk 14
tidgy38 Fishing Talk 32
K Tackle Talk 9
N Tackle Talk 0