Bite alarms bells and whistles

Fartacus

I have a pair of NASH 5 alarms in purple chose the colour because that's all they had in!!!!
They only cost £ 20 each and they are only for targeting tench,bream and perch and they work well
if you look on ebay there are so many alarms at varying prices and makes.
Even NGT do a set of alarms and a receiver £ 54.95
NGT VS BITE ALARMS SETS SET WITH RECEIVER 3 OR 2 ALARMS SET WITH FISHING BOBBIN | eBay .....
I know generally you get what you pay for but is there any need to spend £ 500 on a set??

Last edited:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
If you stack a set of cheap alarms up against a set of Delkims... in the face of it there's not much difference... both go bleep when the line moves, but a cheaper set won't be hugely adjustable for tone, volume and sensitivity... a set of Dellims don't work off a wheel and magnet system like the cheaper sets, they work on vibration, and are adjustable for sensitivity... the cheaper ones probably won't differentiate between a straight pull or a dropback, and the range on the receiver will be much greater and again be adjustable for tone and volume... some of the cheaper ones won't even be waterproof... or have a low battery warning tone, its a bit of a quandary if you are just starting out, but in the main you'll get what you pay for...

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
I have a pair of NASH 5 alarms in purple chose the colour because that's all they had in!!!!
They only cost £ 20 each and they are only for targeting tench,bream and perch and they work well
if you look on ebay there are so many alarms at varying prices and makes.
Even NGT do a set of alarms and a receiver £ 54.95
NGT VS BITE ALARMS SETS SET WITH RECEIVER 3 OR 2 ALARMS SET WITH FISHING BOBBIN | eBay .....
I know generally you get what you pay for but is there any need to spend £ 500 on a set??
If people can afford it then why shouldn't they buy what they want.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
All I know about alarms is that they annoy the hell out of me when used on a 14m wide snake/canal lake with nothing over 10lb in it and a one rod rule.

After the lambasting I got when asking why you needed a three reel set costing £900, I won't comment on the cost. If someone thinks its a good price and is prepared to pay it then that's all that matters.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
If people can afford it then why shouldn't they buy what they want.
I don't think Fartacus was questioning people spending what they want, he was asking whether you NEED to spend £500 on a set of alarms. Arry has supplied an answer to the question asked..

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Its all a case of what suits the individual so if you paid £3000 to £5000 for your rods and reels £300 for a rod pod £500 for a bivvy the last thing you are going to do is add £10 bite alarms for all the reasons above plus the most important thing reliability.
You dont need a Rolls Royce or a Mercedes etc. but people still buy them for the status or the fact that they do everything better than a Dacia for example.
Syndicate tickets on good carp waters can be £1500 a year but if its your money and you want to spend it fine its your choice.

Arry

Site Supporter
Its a question of priorities... as has been said if you'd paid out a couple of grand for your rods and reels and a grand for your ticket... do you want to lose a possible fish of a lifetime because a 20 quid alarm let you down... ?
For my own carping I use a mid price set of Gardner ATTs alarms/receiver... I think they cost about £270 when they came out... and they do the job I ask of them... simples... I don't use alarms that often, but when I do, I want them to be reliable... which I have found the ATTs to be.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
I don't think Fartacus was questioning people spending what they want, he was asking whether you NEED to spend £500 on a set of alarms. Arry has supplied an answer to the question asked..
There were no other replies when i posted mine
For some reason my reply is lower down the list.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have a set of 4 plus receiver. When out on a Carp session, wifey uses 2 as do I. I have used a single alarm on a stillwater (guilty as charged) for the simple reason of bite detection, after all, that's what they're for. I find it handy when sorting out bait, making my spot more comfy, or simply tying up a different rig. I have the volume set to bare minimum so not to disturb others on the bank. They have a camo finish and I'm very happy with what I paid for them...£55.
Why then am I posting? Well, I do have one gripe, the receiver operates up to 200 metres away from the alarms. Why do the makers give this distance? Surely if you're that far from the alarms then by the time you've got to them, a rod may be disappearing into the depths or that much line has been ripped from the reel that it can get tangled etc. I would give up on the distance for more of a better selection of sensitivity or maybe some snag ears.

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I have a set of 4 plus receiver. When out on a Carp session, wifey uses 2 as do I. I have used a single alarm on a stillwater (guilty as charged) for the simple reason of bite detection, after all, that's what they're for. I find it handy when sorting out bait, making my spot more comfy, or simply tying up a different rig. I have the volume set to bare minimum so not to disturb others on the bank. They have a camo finish and I'm very happy with what I paid for them...£55.
Why then am I posting? Well, I do have one gripe, the receiver operates up to 200 metres away from the alarms. Why do the makers give this distance? Surely if you're that far from the alarms then by the time you've got to them, a rod may be disappearing into the depths or that much line has been ripped from the reel that it can get tangled etc. I would give up on the distance for more of a better selection of sensitivity or maybe some snag ears.
They’ll just use a standard wireless chipset that happens to have that range rather than designed to have that

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I have a set of 3 I got for £8 from Wish. Last pike trip I did I used them on a ledger rod. Got a single beep then nothing for about 5 minutes so I assumed wind or liner then it came out the drop back clip and alarm bleeped away. I hit it straight away but had a deep hooked fish. Not awful and I got the hooks out ok but much deeper than you'd expect considering I hit it straight away. I wonder if i had better alarms would it have gone off sooner so i could have avoided the deep hooking?

Arry

Site Supporter
With pike I'd suggest using drop off indicators on the rear rod rests (if you weren't already using them)

Reactions: Lcn

Lcn

I have a set of 3 I got for £8 from Wish. Last pike trip I did I used them on a ledger rod. Got a single beep then nothing for about 5 minutes so I assumed wind or liner then it came out the drop back clip and alarm bleeped away. I hit it straight away but had a deep hooked fish. Not awful and I got the hooks out ok but much deeper than you'd expect considering I hit it straight away. I wonder if i had better alarms would it have gone off sooner so i could have avoided the deep hooking?
If you’re going to use front alarms for piking with an open bail arm then delkims are your best bet . Roller wheel alarms allow slack line to skip over without giving indication other than maybe the odd beep here and there . A set of Billy’s backbiters or similar would be even better but delks and something like the fox rear drop off arms would do the job

Sam Vimes

Everything depends upon the demands you place of your gear. An angler that only fishes in daylight, in reasonably good conditions, or on quiet waters, may not need all the features of a bells and whistles alarm. An angler that fishes regardless of conditions, overnight (or multiple nights), or on busy waters, may be better served with the more expensive end of the spectrum.

I do have one gripe, the receiver operates up to 200 metres away from the alarms. Why do the makers give this distance? Surely if you're that far from the alarms then by the time you've got to them, a rod may be disappearing into the depths or that much line has been ripped from the reel that it can get tangled etc. I would give up on the distance for more of a better selection of sensitivity or maybe some snag ears.
Stated distances mean very little. Very few alarms will come close to meeting their stated specs in the real world. All that the ratings really mean is that the higher rated models are more likely to work in adverse conditions. By that, I mean adverse weather, vegetation and broadcast conditions (electronic interference from other alarms, mobile phones, bait boats etc (almost any electronic device has the potential to interfere)). All of such factors can significantly reduce the real world range of a receiver. Having a 200 yard range just means that such negative factors are more easily overcome than they would be with kit with a 75 yard range. These stated ranges should never be considered as the distance an angler can wander off. The fact that some take it that way (and some manufacturers promote this way) is largely irrelevant.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Tackle Talk 21
tidgy38 Fishing Talk 32
K Tackle Talk 9
tidgy38 Fishing Talk 65
N Tackle Talk 0