Best seatbox for a heavy lad

eskimojon

Hi guys, I have recently moved into match fishing from carp fishing as with a growing family it was becoming harder and harder to spend long periods of time from home. I haven't got into pole fishing but have really being enjoying using method feeder and float. I have a couple of venues near me but found that fishing from a chair with a bankstick stuck wherever I could find some soft ground was a little awkward and really fancy purchasing a seatbox with the option of a side tray, feeder arm and side butt rest.

I have looked and looked on numerous sites and am baffled by all the options. I get that the Rive D36 seem to be the premium models but they are a little out of my price range and I worry that a credit card purchase of that kind of money would have me suffocated in my sleep by the wife.

I am thinking around £500 but really need something heavy duty. I am 22 stone and 6'5" so really want something strong and durable. Not too bothered about weight as I can park near to where I am currently fishing.

Can anyone recommend anything decent for my size? I did look at the Matrix 25 boxes which seem really cheap at £229 but am concerned regarding leg strength etc. Thanks

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Daiwa Tournament 500 perhaps ? They are all strong enough John I wouldn't worry about that so much. I still prefer my old Tourny pro. Ok, its a bit dated now but, it does everything I want it to do. The fish dont know what you 're sat on do they ? 😆

drw

Site Supporter
Try and find a second hand octbox plenty strong enough for your weight and fully adjustable for your height !

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Daiwa Tournament 500 perhaps ? They are all strong enough John I wouldn't worry about that so much. I still prefer my old Tourny pro. Ok, its a bit dated now but, it does everything I want it to do. The fish dont know what you 're sat on do they ? 😆
Mick i got rid of my Tourny 500, them frigging Lock catches were a nightmare mate, Caught on everything and opened at the slightest touch :mad:

Owl Jnr got one of these strong enough and good height

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mick i got rid of my Tourny 500, them frigging Lock catches were a nightmare mate, Caught on everything and opened at the slightest touch :mad:

Owl Jnr got one of these strong enough and good height

Do you think they are a different catch to the ones on the old Tourny pro like I use ? Only my catches are the opposite, they are as stiff as you are in a room with Diane Abbott. 😝😝😝

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Not knowing your budget, or of you are looking for new or second hand, I have this if it's any good to you...

100_1652.JPG

100_1655.JPG

100_1656.JPG

100_1659.JPG

It's very strong and the other bits and pieces come with it. If you're interested and can collect, it's yours for £100. Sorry, but won't take offers...it's too good.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Matrix S36 you could hit it with a Mack truck and the Mack would come off worst.

Witches valley

Account Locked
Well big lad, I don't very often come accross men bigger than me but you are. I'm 6'3 19 stone and use a Preston onbox, it's an old one with the metal clips.

I don't understand the need to spend the stupid money present day seat boxes cost, my box holds all my accessories, has 6 multiple extending legs and fixed mud feet, which gets me level and secure on most grounds. I even sit in the water with it if need be.

Why do I need to work a month to buy a box that will do exactly the same?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try and find a second hand octbox plenty strong enough for your weight and fully adjustable for your height !
I’ll second that, had mine 4 1/2 years and can’t fault it.

I have the D25 and that is more than robust enough.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I have exactly the same Preston Onbox as described above - the leg tightening mechanism may mark the legs but, importantly, it doesn't slip - ever.
I'm only getting rid of it 'cos I changed cars and it wouldn't fit in the boot any more.

And also lots of them kicking about for not a lot of money
This one for instance: Private Sale - Preston OnBox 5 drawer

And yes I know that's the one I'm selling but it's just an example - there's lots more about.

Simon

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I have exactly the same Preston Onbox as described above - the leg tightening mechanism may mark the legs but, importantly, it doesn't slip - ever.
I'm only getting rid of it 'cos I changed cars and it wouldn't fit in the boot any more.

And yes I know that's the one I'm selling but it's just an example - there's lots more about.

Simon
Don’t you know how to prioritise your life. How could you buy a car you can’t get your seat box in LOL 🚗☹

Witches valley

Account Locked

Simon
Remove the parcle shelf or concertina the rear seats?

I personally believe those old boxes are all anyone actually requires, the problem with the newer models are weight, lack of base space and sheer size of them. The expense is an overwhelming burden as well, fishing usually is esoteric of which our wife's are often excluded.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Don’t you know how to prioritise your life. How could you buy a car you can’t get your seat box in LOL 🚗☹
To be honest I wasn't too worried about the box, I knew it would fit somehow but I did take a rod holdall with me when I was looking at cars
The salesman never got a chance to give me his ready prepared spiel about how wonderful the car was before I had the hatchback up, the seats down and the holdall in - and if it wouldn't fit then it was a quick "next".:p:p

I should point out that the boss of said dealership is a personal friend and a keen angler (and is probably reading this:p) and was quite happy for me to sully his nice clean cars with my holdall - other dealerships may not quite so accommodating.:D

I personally believe those old boxes are all anyone actually requires, the problem with the newer models are weight, lack of base space and sheer size of them. The expense is an overwhelming burden as well, fishing usually is esoteric of which our wife's are often excluded.
I actually purchased a new box very similar to the old Preston - just a little shorter so hatchback would close with the parcel shelf left in situ and without needing to remove any legs.

Only £299 when I bought it, so I didn't need to sell a kidney in order to fund it.

Simon

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave Spence The Club House 41
GeoffW Fishing Talk 17
C Fishing Talk 64
M Tackle Talk 26
W Fishing Talk 36