Best mono for feeder fishing.

TinkaTinka

Site Supporter
I now have a basic understanding of the benefits of braid for feeder fishing but what about mono ?
Is there a mono line out there that has little stretch and sinks quickly when used at distances of 60 to 80 yards or further.
Are the carp boys using mono at 100 to 150 yards and if so why cannot it not be developed for feeder fishing at distance ?
Does anyone use mono for feeder fishing at distance, I welcome your input 🤔

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter

SteveAmo

You won’t go far wrong with either of two makes of line recommended by ukzero1, Preston Sinking Mono or the Drennan Feeder. Another one to try is the Guru Pulse which comes in 300 metre spools and have a useful marker on the spool at 150 metres.

For Fishing at those long distances 60 metres plus I defo think about using a shockleader to cushion the cast and prevent crack offs. I use an 8 metre length of 10lb Daiwa Tournament line.

Hope that helps.

lliopp

Site Supporter
Most mono's can be cast further than braided lines

sjmclean

Guru pulse is the hot line for all the guys fishing 100m at Barston.

I used the Preston sinking feeder mono for a whole season, and it's absolutely terrible. Thick, clunky, doesn't sink well, not strong. Binned it off of 4 reels and binned all the spools I had left.

Everything's been replaced with 5lb Pulse, and it's the nicest reel line I've ever used.

rufcuk

I used to use preston sinking butvthe last batch i bought was awful - guru pulse all the way now for feeder work

MrBen

Another vote for Guru Pulse, just spooled up a new reel with it, and feels very supple and casts very well and seems easier to sink than my previous preston line.

lliopp

Site Supporter
Mono is smooth, braid is not. Just take a look at casting records.

Ben Field

The (old) braid you have used may not have been smooth, but modern braids (X8) can be silky smooth. Just don’t buy cheap poo before generalising. No mono will compete with (decent) braid for casting. The other thing about braid is that it has less or zero memory so is far, far more supple - so there’s less friction through the guides and from the lip of the reel spool - hence the longer casting distance. Add to that the reduced diameter of braid (with higher breaking strain), mono doesn’t stand a chance! Many of the shore casting records are line diameter specific (lots used to be 0.35mm) so it’s nothing to do with mono being the best. It isn’t. Mono has it’s own qualities that sometimes will make it better than braid, but outright casting distance certainly isn’t one of them.

Last edited:

jay67

Site Supporter
another vote for pulse . i use 5lb for long chucks where braid is banned . heard a lot of people saying it takes ages to sink - i've not had that problem

richox12

What ? So if I set up 2 identical rods & reels, load one with 0.22mm or so mono and the other with 0.10mm braid + leader and cast the same 2oz weights/feeders the mono will cast noticeably further ? Not in my experience as limited as it is.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It would make for an interesting test though. As long as they were both the same breaking strain.

Ben Field

It would make for an interesting test though. As long as they were both the same breaking strain.
You’d need to be comparing like for like diameters rather than breaking strains for a fairer test. The problem with even comparing a braid with another braid is that breaking strain can vary hugely depending on how it’s constructed. Another rule with braid is never to believe a word the manufacturer says about the stated breaking strain. Depending on whether it’s made in Japan, the US or Europe, they all have different ways of “testing” it. So comparing them is hard. Even diameters can rarely be trusted for the same reason. For example, I could easily show you two 20lb braids and one could be twice as thick as the other. Braids are getting stronger and smoother all of the time. X8 is obviously commonplace now. Daiwa do their expensive 12 strand, Sufix are releasing a 13 strand this year, and high-end Japanese brand Gosen have a new 16 strand that feels as smooth as mono and is very strong. Point being, comparing braids by breaking strain these days is literally impossible. The same as when high-tech pre-stretched monos first came in and we all found ourselves talking about an “0.10” bottom rather than a “1lb” bottom. It’s now commonplace not to even mention the breaking strain. Braids are the same really. Behind it all, most of the manufacturers are using the same base materials for mono, fluorocarbon and braids, so it’s not possible for one brand to create a line that is twice as strong as the next. Putting higher than accurate numbers on the spool has been done a million times before, and obviously it convinces people they’re buying something incredible. But realistically if you compare exactly like for like diameters and construction you’ll have a breaking strain that’s pretty consistent (the problem for us being that most of the diameters are out too)(beware the inconsistencies of home tests too). Sometimes it’s just a case of having to try different gear to find what you like and what works.

It’s a proper mine field. These days I don’t obsess over breaking strain or diameter for mainlines, although with braids I’m happy around the 0.10mm mark for feeder braids marked up in Europe (Cresta Visorate), or #0.8PE for the ones I use from Japan (I only trust the PE scale on Japanese braids). If it’s supple enough, smooth enough, looks thin enough and fishes well then I don’t care what the numbers say.

Blimey... where were we?! Oh yes, braid is sh1t. ;)

Just to keep myself on track, I’m currently using a Cralusso sinking feeder mono that I quite like. I got on well with Daiwa Tournament ST before that and am keen to try the Guru Pulse.

Last edited:

sjmclean

I seen Matt Godfrey is testing a new line for Guru, so I'm sure we're about to get told Pulse is terrible and we all must re line with the new mega line.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
I seen Matt Godfrey is testing a new line for Guru, so I'm sure we're about to get told Pulse is terrible and we all must re line with the new mega line.
Maybe it's also because things are improving all the time mate and if they didn't produce new items of tackle we would still be using a twig and and god knows what else.

sjmclean

Maybe it's also because things are improving all the time mate and if they didn't produce new items of tackle we would still be using a twig and and god knows what else.
I understand things change, I'm talking about the marketing mate. Like Des Ship releasing 2 videos in the one week saying he only used pretied mag stores, and saying how he tied everything on his new gizmo hooktyer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Fishing Talk 9
F Fishing Talk 11
R Fishing Talk 11
D Tackle Talk 17
J Fishing Talk 39