Best company to buy hemp online from?

GrahamA

Hi all,
I’m totally new to coarse fishing having been a sea angler and fly fisherman all my life.
I’ve been reading threads relating to the different quality of hemp seed you can get online, delivered.
I’d like to buy 10-15kg of hemp seed to prepare as I need it.
I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction towards a company that supplies decent quality hemp?
Not too worried about price as long as it’s decent.
Many thanks in advance.
Graham

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I use monster particle, its prepared though. I think they do dry particle but its normally £1 kg prepared so not worth the bother of doing your own

Feldy

Site Supporter

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I have tins of Frezied hemp, Decathlon do it at a good price, they also do larger jars and uncooked seeds. Got a 5kg bucket of hemp and maize from Angling Direct, £12.99 delivered, but if you wait like I did,you can get it when they have a deal on, usually 20% off Advanta stuff, so just over £10 per bucket. The bucket of hemp says no need to freeze, but I wasn't keen on leaving half the bucket for weeks, so bagged it and froze it,well, say froze it, I put it in the freezer and it refuses to freeze!

davylad

Site Supporter
Be careful if you buy the giant seed. It's not easy to split, although it is massive.

Fishalot

Be careful if you buy the giant seed. It's not easy to split, although it is massive.
This is true. I gave up trying to split it as I thought I was boiling it too much. Still gets the fish going though.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
The hempthat refuses to split while simmering is often "Irradiated"

treated to stop it being used as a growing seed,

david white

Site Supporter
I bought some prepared hemp from the evolved baits website already cooked
In a word excellent
normally prepared my own and have been doing so for some 40 odd years don’t think I’ll bother if this batch is anything to go buy

lp1886

I bought some prepared hemp from the evolved baits website already cooked
In a word excellent
normally prepared my own and have been doing so for some 40 odd years don’t think I’ll bother if this batch is anything to go buy
The standard of ready cooked hemp is very good these days. Yes it’s cheaper (marginally) to prepare your own but factor in the time spent to cook it, bag it, store it and not to mention the smell it makes and it’s cost neutral. I’d rather spend that time fishing.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Try cheshire particle..........

GrahamA

Thanks guys.
Quite a lot to go on there. I had read that the large hemp was hard to split.
I’ll look at the companies that you have recommended.
Much obliged for your help.
Graham.

solwood

Site Supporter
In terms of cooking I find overnight or 24 hours if you have the time in a decent stainless thermos works well, no mess either

My thermos came from a charity shop for 3 quid

As for hemp I am lucky enough tg o have animal feed store close

GrahamA

Thanks Solwood.
My neighbour uses the Thermos flask method. He’s been fishing for 50 years so I’ll probably try that method to start with.

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I've struggled to find raw hemp cheaper than I can get it from monster particle cooked so I just buy that. Only £6.49 per order postage so I fill the freezer up and it lasts me ages. It comes in 5kg bags so I decant into smaller freezer bags so I just take one or two out the night before

david white

Site Supporter
Hi
just to say that you I too have used the thermo flask method for years just remember to leave about inch and half gap between water and top of flask !!

Zerkalo

I get mine uncooked from a car boot sale man that sells pellets too.