Bedfordshire tench fishing.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
From the Tenchfishers.
Vauxhall is good value and has tench up to a reasonable size but no doubles (depending who is weighing it
:wink:
). Other clubs worth considering are:
Blunham - tench in Hitchcocks up to just over 10lb, Daisleys pool and a few in the L-shape) and you don't have to buy a seperate night ticket. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) they lost the best tench water in the county due to not controlling several past idiot members and it is now a syndicate which is pretty much dead man's shoes. blunham angling club

Biggleswade and Hitchin - Tench into double figures at Gingerbread lake as well as numerous others. Only problem is you need a separate night ticket to fish nights and there is a waiting list for the night ticket. The cost of the night ticket pushes it up to syndicate prices which is why I have never bothered as it gets a bit too busy to fish exactly where you want. Biggleswade and Hitchin Angling Association

Luton Angling club - North house lake has tench up to rumoured doubles, I have caught a lot of tench up to 7lbish but there are a lot in there and average size is around 5lb. There are restrictions around ngiht fishing this lake due to there being a maximum 8 angler limit per night and you have to book on. The same system is in place at Beckerings reservoir which has tench to just over 8lb but not as many as it used to have. It's a bowl of water in the ground though so not pretty but nice for float fishing. They also run the South Lagoon which can also be fished on a day ticket. More of the unknown with this water as it is linked to the Ouse but I have had tench out to just under 8lb and witnessed a 9 for someone once. I didn't really know what I was doing when I was fishing there for the tench though but caught several, stock quantity unknown. River Ouse at Lavendon Mill (upstream), was probably Luton's best tench water when I was fishing it, had a lot of tench from here up to just over 7lb. Unsure what the current stock levels are like though. They also water share a lake at Kempston which has tench in but I have not fished it. Luton Angling Club

Shefford and District - Airman is predominantly a cat water but has a good head of tench up to 8lb+ and they fight like fury due to the presence of the cats, you need a seperate night ticket to fish this lake at night but on that night ticket you can also fish Willington lake which has a good head of tench to a similar size. The other lake with a reasonable head of tench is Broom lake but you need a different night ticket to fish this one but, again, it does include Willington lake. Home

These are just the places I have fished. Another day ticket water is at Barnwell country park by the river Nene which has a good head of tench but low average size (5lb ish). We had a fish in there a few years back and a lot of tench came out despite it being freezing cold for the weekend. https://www.northamptonshireparks.co.uk ... -park.aspx

And, obviously, Sywell is about 40 minutes awayn

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Good info.

Be nice to find a Tinca water or three in the east mids, would love to catch a double.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Good info.

Be nice to find a Tinca water or three in the east mids, would love to catch a double.
For £25 join the Tenchfishers and you will get all the best information possible for your region. Plus you get to go on fishins in your area and possibly all over the country. We have members from all over the world Australia, Canada, Ireland ,Germany all over the globe.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Yep fraid so . The Bedfordshire information is like a one off. I will say to anybody who has tench as their first choice for the spring then that is the best money you can spend.
It's our AGM tomorrow in Milton Keynes it's a long day 10am to 4 pm ish. People arrive from all over tonight and stay in pubs and motels for tomorrow's meeting. Just over 400 members world wide and normally over 100 attend the meeting, what other club can claim that. A lot of the Tenchfishers also are in PAC, CSG, Crucian alliance and the like for other parts of the year.

Silver fan 82

Tench along with Rudd are my favourite species. I may look into it at some point in the not so distant future. One of my club lakes has Tench to 9lbs, would love to get onto one of those if I could get through the smaller ones and the kamikaze Rudd lol!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Love tench, second only to roach but fishing for tench is all about a quill and lily pads and reeds. The sheer pleasure of trying to catch
these wonderful fish is about being there and nothing to do with weight.

Not a criticism just my opinion.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
That's the point about the Tenchfishers it's the species not just the biggest.
We also run the “Tench Heritage Alliance” that helps anybody who needs help within the scope of tench. We have put something like 2000 + tench into Sywell, to bring that iconic water back to what it was and we the club have done it with our own funds.

Last edited:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha Tinc, fished the RM canal for may years and the average weight just seems to stay the same. A very good average weight too, never
caught a tench from this venue below three pounds. Its almost as if they are born at this weight.

Silverfisher

This year was the first in a while that I didn't catch a single tench, admittedly I didn't fish any venues that have big numbers of them but still a shame not to get at least one. I did watch my grandad get one of about 5lb out of the Thames which was quite a special moment as he'd wanted a river tench for years.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
We also produce two bulletins a year written by us for us, it's all part of the £25, nothing extra to pay, 76 pages. 157384513446270491565743820156.jpg
And l have information going back to pre 1972.