bbc four

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Troggy me duck, would you buy shares in a warp drive development company?

I had shares in a company that was working on an alcubierre drive, i bought them at 70.06 pence but sadly had to sell them a while ago, thankfully they had risen to 207.10 pence so i made a nice profit, if another company came along with the right "feel" about it and of course at the right price then i could be tempted again..... but for now i'll hang on to see what NASA/JPL and SpaceWarp Dynamics come up with.... why??

frankg

Site Supporter
Just starting now, The search for life, the Drake equasion.

It's something i've tried to explain to people so many times but i just can't seem to get them to understand ...... i guess for some people the thought of a billion planets having the same amazing sequence of events happening to create life is just to much for their minds to fathom.

I get a similar response when i try to explain that there are a multitude of galaxies out there that are a lot older than our own, so they could be millions of years more advanced than we are, they could even have had life and it died out/ wiped itself out before our planet even mixed the primordial soup which created life.
That'll be interesting Trogg. Expanding universe, the rise of life/civilizations and their subsequent decline and death. To me, it's a no brainer....billions of planets, physics, chemistry, biology....there is no way it just all came right on one little planet to produce life....nature doesn't work like that!
Nature fills every possible niche with life, even in places you'd think life couldn't exist...it abhors a vacuum! So, nature fills every niche on Earth with life and ignores the billions of other planets...no way!!!

frankg

Site Supporter
And the distances between the galaxies in the known universe are just mind boggling.
I think that must be biggest barrier to contacting other conscious beings. If we really are conscious.
Still can't get my head around how this universe can ever be finite - what's at the end, a brick wall? Nothing, not even space or time?
And as for an infinite number of alternate universes ...
It's all relative.....going out into the universe, the distances TO US are massive, mind boggling! However, going the other way, down to the atomic level, the distances would be equally massive if you lived on the nucleus of an atom!
Just to put it into perspective, if you had an nucleus the size of a football on the centre spot of a football stadium, the nearest electron would be at the back of the stands! So if you lived on the football sized atom....the electron might be our moon....get the picture....it's all relative. Massive distances are only massive relative to your existence :) ....and we only know what we know!