bbc four

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just starting now, The search for life, the Drake equasion.

It's something i've tried to explain to people so many times but i just can't seem to get them to understand ...... i guess for some people the thought of a billion planets having the same amazing sequence of events happening to create life is just to much for their minds to fathom.

I get a similar response when i try to explain that there are a multitude of galaxies out there that are a lot older than our own, so they could be millions of years more advanced than we are, they could even have had life and it died out/ wiped itself out before our planet even mixed the primordial soup which created life.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
If there’s another planet with empty heads and syndromes that appear on Jeremy Kyle and a government who fiddle more than Nigel Kennedy i give you the reason to stop looking now 👍

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Human life on Earth is a very short blip regarding time scale. If there are other forms of life they would almost certainly been and
gone. Troggy, not sure what point you are trying to make.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Human life on Earth is a very short blip regarding time scale. If there are other forms of life they would almost certainly been and
gone. Troggy, not sure what point you are trying to make.

As i said, trying to make some people understand that our galaxy (estimated to contain 250 billion stars) is a baby compared to one like GNZ11, now forgetting that there could be life amongst our own 250 billion stars if a planet in GNZ11 evolved life at a similar rate to us they would be much much more advanced compared to us because they have been around a lot longer.
Sadly even when people claim to have no belief in God(s) or claim to be Irreligious they still have it in their heads that everything just "popped" into existence at the exact same time and that there is no way life could have evolved been created anywhere other than here on "Gods creation".

Look at the leaps in advancement we have made in the past 100yrs, now imagine what we could be doing in another 100, 200 or even 300 years (if we survive that long) the life on the planet in GNZ11 could have conqured light speed travel, they could have created a real "teleportation" system or, they could have been just like us and dedicated their time to finding ways of wiping each other out.

When you try to explain to someone that it takes us (as in our solar system) 230 million years to make a single orbit we as a species haven't even completed a single orbit yet but we have gone from being an ape using rocks to bash things to actually travelling to another world and that, in the time scale isn't even the blink of an eye they seem to lose the ability to understand, i guess if they can't look at a watch/clock/mobile to see the time then they just cannot understand time scale.

Scalper

NCP....
Site Supporter

It's something i've tried to explain to people so many times but i just can't seem to get them to understand ...... i guess for some people the thought of a billion planets having the same amazing sequence of events happening to create life is just to much for their minds to fathom.

I get a similar response when i try to explain that there are a multitude of galaxies out there that are a lot older than our own, so they could be millions of years more advanced than we are, they could even have had life and it died out/ wiped itself out before our planet even mixed the primordial soup which created life.
Trogg I have given up on trying to educate people about the complexity of everything and beyond...

It's entirely possible that this planet alone harbours "its life Jim but not as we know it!" and that's it!!!

Or perhaps the universe is teeming with 'life!' Though I doubt we'll ever find it and if we do then we'll force Christianity on them and strip all their resources, and make slaves of them and all in the name of God, which is standard practice on this rock! Usually led by the Church and the Yanks!!!!...

Was talking about this stuff to a mate a while back and he ejected "There must be others like us out there!!!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing!!!...

That belief isn't rare by any means - they've all been watching too many StarTrek and sci-fi movies and don't have even a basic understanding of the sciences...

Galactically speaking...I wouldn't be surprised if our solar system has an exclusion perimeter around it warning other E.T's to stay well away!!!

Blanks

Site Supporter
One thing is for sure we are only taking the first steps in understanding our world let alone space. All of our present knowledge will be challenged in the future.
My guess is there is intelligent life out there and they found us long ago.

sly

all the bit better gear and still aint got a clue
Site Supporter
One thing is for sure we are only taking the first steps in understanding our world let alone space. All of our present knowledge will be challenged in the future.
and thought bugger them :) :) :)

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
And the distances between the galaxies in the known universe are just mind boggling.
I think that must be biggest barrier to contacting other conscious beings. If we really are conscious.
Still can't get my head around how this universe can ever be finite - what's at the end, a brick wall? Nothing, not even space or time?
And as for an infinite number of alternate universes ...

Scalper

NCP....
Site Supporter
Makes you feel kinda small, doesn't it!?!...

And to appreciate what we have!!!...

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves, the physical ability to travel the enormous distances regarding galaxies are a dream and will
only ever exist in science fiction. Feet on the ground men, feet on the ground.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Trogg - I am a complete atheist, and frankly, because of that I don't think it's important to know how, or when, humans came to be in existence. And why should we spend any of our short time on this earth trying to find out whether there are similar humans on other planets? If there are they would do well to keep well clear of the current crop of humans on this planet!

The fact that people are 'interested' does not justify spending human resources on finding out, when we are close to destroying our own planet.

H T B

When you live on such a small island, it is not easy to comprehend the vastness of space.
I remember watching the film Man in Black, they were looking for onions belt.
Orions belt was a small "marble" on a cats collar, but contained a whole galaxy, however, some other aliens used this galaxy in a game of marbles.
That still f**ks with my mind!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
If they have ever been passing then i believe they would have noticed us as soon as we lit our planet, or starting leaking radio waves into space but they probably think we are far to infantile to understand them so they are leaving us alone for now.

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves, the physical ability to travel the enormous distances regarding galaxies are a dream and will
only ever exist in science fiction. Feet on the ground men, feet on the ground.
And yet we have boffins at places like NASA working on warp engines!

By the way, don't forget that when Startrek first appeared on the screen people laughed at the ridiculous notion of doors that open as you walk towards them, boxes that can heat food in seconds and even more ridiculous a computer you can hold in your hand that can be used to contact someone anywhere on the planet, i mean come on, what kind of idiot would believe any of that could ever become reality?

It's almost as ridiculous as the human body remaining solid when travelling at 40mph or even worse, flying in the air!!

Blanks

Site Supporter
Trying to get your head round the numbers here on earth is pretty mind boggling. Apparently the dinosaurs became extinct 60 million years ago and ruled the earth for 150 million years. The industrial revolution only kicked off 300 years ago,and that has sparked the recent knowledge and advancment. There seems to have been plenty of time for much to have happened on the earth that we are still blissfully unaware of.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Troggy me duck, would you buy shares in a warp drive development company?

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle !
Site Supporter
The brief time humans have been on this planet, and the even shorter time we have made any 'noises' that might be heard in distant space aren't even worthy of being called blips in the intergalactic scheme of things. Even the 'noises' we have made are at best travelling at light speed into outer space and will take thousands or millions of years to reach anywhere significant.

Then there's our arrogant notion that we will even register on the radar of an alien species. How much notice would you take of an ant in darkest Africa if it wiggled its antenna in an attempt to make contact with you?

There is SO MUCH about space and astrophysics in general that we have simply no idea about. Ask pretty much any question about it and the answer is likely to be a 'best guess' based on what we think we know so far.

If we survive that long, in a thousand years we will probably look back on this era like we currently look at the bronze age.