Barrel wafters

Itsdrew93

Fish a KD rig with a shot big enough with weight of hook to pin wafter down.
When fish blows out bait the shot drops hook into lip or at least makes it harder for fish to reject hook.
Ps - Shot goes on the actual hair between hook and bait, I position on start of bend. Hard to get head round - but it works.
Yh nice one mate was just about to ask shall i put the shot on the hair or just before the hook lol nice one

Itsdrew93

When fish blows out bait the shot drops hook into lip or at least makes it harder for fish to reject hook.
Ps - Shot goes on the actual hair between hook and bait, I position on start of bend. Hard to get head round - but it works.
What size hook you think will be best 6 or 8 both kurv shank

rudd

Site Supporter
A wafter is a bottom bait held down by hook weight.
The theory is it is lighter than freebies or a normal boilie on a rig that is heavier than freebies.
When a feeding fish sucks the bait, being light (or neutral buoyancy) it should lift into fishes mouth with little effort.
By using KD rig, when fish ejects bait the shot on hair should cause hook to catch bottom lip.
Without shot on hairi, as bait is neutral buoyancy it can be ejected by fish with ease.
Its best to have a small c!ear vessel and balance each wafter against rig as none are ever the same!

Silver fan 82

One of my favourite rigs for wafters / pop ups.

Itsdrew93

A wafter is a bottom bait held down by hook weight.
The theory is it is lighter than freebies or a normal boilie on a rig that is heavier than freebies.
When a feeding fish sucks the bait, being light (or neutral buoyancy) it should lift into fishes mouth with little effort.
By using KD rig, when fish ejects bait the shot on hair should cause hook to catch bottom lip.
Without shot on hairi, as bait is neutral buoyancy it can be ejected by fish with ease.
Its best to have a small c!ear vessel and balance each wafter against rig as none are ever the same!
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 cheers pal

squimp

Site Supporter
You can take the pop-up/wafter/bottom bait buoyancy thing to ridiculous extremes If you really want to; but I’m not sure quite what you achieve. Critically balanced baits were all the rage in carp fishing a while back (We used to routinely stick bits of lead wire into our popups To carefully alter the buoyancy!) not so much nowadays.

my normal tactic is to use a standard bottom bait and then Just add a bit of buoyancy. That can be something as simple as a bit of buoyant plastic corn.

another way is to put part of a bottom bait and part of a pop up on the hair together. The variations are endless - relative buoyancy/size/colour/flavour etc etc. My goal (usually) is to have the hook flat on the bottom and the bait sitting on top of it. So the bait isn’t popped up, but it is slightly less ’heavy’ than a standard bottom bait.