Barbel fishing tips

awillis

My main question is, is it best to have a runner on when catching barbell at local fisheries? I recently went and got snapped 4 times out of 5, my feeder rod went round and before I had chance to adjust my drag I was snapped.

Somersetlad

As the rivers are still closed, I don't know where you are fishing for barbel. But if you are, your main drag should be set below the breaking strain of your rig, and you don't need a bait runner, if your awake, the rod tip hammering round is a good indication of a bite.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Commercials are stuffed with barbel, and they are flourishing, along with chub. I would use a baitrunner as a last resort, just have the rod butt on your knee with your hand on the handle, should be no problem then & no reason for a runner. I prefer a double handle on a reel, and backwinding rather than using the clutch.

awillis

As the rivers are still closed, I don't know where you are fishing for barbel. But if you are, your main drag should be set below the breaking strain of your rig, and you don't need a bait runner, if your awake, the rod tip hammering round is a good indication of a bite.
I was fishing my local fishirie, also I was experiencing my rod tip wrap round and the fish take off and snapped my line before I had chance to adjust.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@awillis

On your next visit, slacken the clutch off a couple of clicks then on the strike, place a finger on the spool to stop it from spinning and while playing the fish adjust the clutch as needed. Just out of curiosity, take a look at your line and see if there's any fraying etc. as this could indicate a problem with one of the rod rings. What line are you using? breaking strain etc.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
As previously mentioned you should have your clutch on the 'slack side' and tighten up accordingly when you hook a fish. Having the clutch set tight whilst waiting for a bite is, as you seem to have found out, a recipe for disaster. As UKZ stated a loose clutch can be controlled by a finger on the spool; a clutch set above the B.S. of the line is uncontrollable.

bezzer

Site Supporter
If you've not read the Barbel fishing guides written by @Northantslad I encourage you to do so. They may not help you with the problems you're encountering, but they'll give you a great insight as to how and why he approaches Barbel fishing.

They can be found here -

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Sounds like the anti reverse is on as well as the drag done up too tight...

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Sounds like the anti reverse is on as well as the drag done up too tight...
I'm guilty of that one cos I can never remember if it's on or off. I just leave it on but with a slackish drag.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Ta for the comment Bez. I must point out though to the OP that the guide is aimed at running water Barbelling, not that still stuff. Different barbel they are in that still stuff.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
You must be using very light line if you are being snapped up on a bite. What main line & hooklength are you using?

bezzer

Site Supporter
Ta for the comment Bez. I must point out though to the OP that the guide is aimed at running water Barbelling, not that still stuff. Different barbel they are in that still stuff.
It's not proper Barbel fishing in a muddy pool :jump:

• Haha
Reactions: sly