Barbel and Chub fishing

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
As I am sure most of you know there are no Barbel and Chub in Ireland. So I have decided that in 2019 I am going over to your fair land to try catch at least one of each ! Now here is the rub, I have never fished for either of them before and don't have a clue where to go. So I am looking for someone to meet up with me and spend a couple of days fishing to show me the ropes, as it were. I am not looking for a professional guide, just someone who enjoys fishing and can put up with an Irishman asking them stupid questions for a couple of days. I would prefer to bivvie up some where but I am prepared to go B + B if necessary.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Pm me nearer the time, i will sort ya out (y)

Reactions: Lol

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There are some stunning Barbel and Chub waters over here, but it depends on where over here you plan on visiting. I would certainly give Wise Owl a pm.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
I’m a member on waters that don’t have membership 😉😉

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Wisey will look after you I'm sure.
In addition to that, you may find some ideas n tips in the Barbel guide I did in the tutorial section.
Any questions feel free(y)

Simon Walsh

Wisey when you meet up. Can I suggest you let your mate Lol know where and where you’re going, I’m sure he’d love a day out

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
a few years ago i'd have taken you down the Penk, one of the biggest secrets we had was the beautiful barbel that came up our stretch to spawn...sadly it's all gone now that pollution not only killed the fish it killed the spawning grounds as well :cry::cry:

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Id love a meet up somewhere we both aint fished like The Wye or Severn but if i have dates i can book us on some good pegs on The Trent (y) Might be able to Tempt Pie Man @Dave as well (y)

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Id love a meet up somewhere we both aint fished like The Wye or Severn but if i have dates i can book us on some good pegs on The Trent (y) Might be able to Tempt Pie Man @Dave as well (y)
Dont know what these venues are like these days but Stoke weir (trent) and Borrowash (derwent) in the 1980s were fantastic for Chub, not massive but plenty of em. (y)

sodthat

Site Supporter
Sorry to burst your bubble Kevin but while there may not be any barbel in Ireland, the chub has been here for the best part of 20 years
introduced initially into the river inny, they have spread into the shannon and from there they will spread throughout the country as did the roach and dace once they were introduced.

In 2006 the then shannon regional fisheries board (now I.F.I) netted 30 chub while doing a survey of the shannon at athlone,

John coles who ran the now defunct WWW.innyangling.net, posted a photo of a 4lb chub caught below the weir in athlone (2010) , so they're here already and it's likely they're here to stay !

Simon R

Site Supporter
I remember when the fisheries board were trying to remove them from the Inny and even then it was very much a case of shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted because it seemed everyone (except the fisheries board) knew they'd already be in the Shannon.
Has there been any caught recently though?
If they've spread too far the population could be stretched too thinly to allow them to breed successfully and, although quite a long-lived fish, I suspect those original fish will be at the end of their lifespan.

Simon

sodthat

Site Supporter
You may well be right simon and i've not heard of a chub being caught in the last 4-5 years.

Although the inny is on my doorstep, it's not a river i fish as it requires a permit and i still have that "free fishing mentality" that living in ireland gives you

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
You may well be right simon and i've not heard of a chub being caught in the last 4-5 years.

Although the inny is on my doorstep, it's not a river i fish as it requires a permit and i still have that "free fishing mentality" that living in ireland gives you
My point exactly, it would be a brave or silly man who would go fshing for Barbel in Ireland !There were some in the Inny and Shannon for a while but they seem to have disappeared. So my bubble is still intact . :D:D:D