Bait - Sweet or Savoury

All-The-Gear-No-Idea

Site Supporter
Hi Guys

Thinking about groundbait and hookbait options and things that should be kept in the bag for go-to’s I’m wondering if there is a consensus or at least a rule of thumb when it comes to Sweet baits (Pineapple, Chocolate Orange, etc) versus savouries (Tuna, Krill, Squid and so-on). Is it a species thing, a Weather and Temperature thing, a Particular Lake’s thing, or whatever the fish feel like on the day sort of a thing?

Also, I fully appreciate the oxymoronic nature of asking if there’s such a thing as a consensus when it comes to Angling! :)

Cheers

Other Smiffy

Silverfisher

I tend to use sweet groundbaits over savoury ones but purely because I’ve generally had more success with them. Quite why I’ve had more success with sweet I’m not sure. It may possibly have a more distinct smell or a wider appealing smell than savoury but that would contradict the fact that most baits are savoury so I’d be interested to hear what others think.

Lee Richards

Fish are very strange creatures and go through phases of what they like or don't like
It always used to be sweet for Summer and savoury for Winter but IMO that's just another angling myth that has been passed down.
If they want it and like it they will take it
The only bait mantra I stick to is use less oily feed baits such as pellets in Winter as the oils do not dissipate off the baits as quickly and the fish take longer to digest them.
That still however doesn't stop me from using oil based glugs that will wash off quickly when the river has a bit on or is very coloured.

Sam Vimes

Is it a species thing, a Weather and Temperature thing, a Particular Lake’s thing, or whatever the fish feel like on the day sort of a thing?
It can be a combination of all of those things. Trying to figure out what might be going on, even for just a single water, is just another angling challenge.
You also get waters where bait colour can be a significant factor.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It can be a combination of all of those things. Trying to figure out what might be going on, even for just a single water, is just another angling challenge.
You also get waters where bait colour can be a significant factor.
Spot on with regards to our club waters. I have just got back from bailiff duties but, as you do, a chat with the other members while down there shows colour to be a factor in their catches. One chap hadn't had a bite on sweetcorn all morning, now he's bagging up just by dying it red., put the normal yellow on and nothing.
A couple of the carpers have had 9 between them on Chocolate and Orange boilies, a flavour that's not normally used on our lakes. Could it be down to the flavour or the fact that because they're not used often be bringing them on is up for debate. Also, for some reason, yellow wafters are bringing on the better stamp of Bream.

MrBen

Site Supporter
I tend to use sweet with reasonable catches all year round, plus your hands don't smell minging at the end of a session. Been doing well with chocolate orange or F1. Orange coloured wafters seem to also be getting me good bites.

Silverfisher

Good point on the smell, quite nice getting the odd waft of chocolate or vanilla from the groundbait bowl.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Generally is species specific yes and seasonal also imo. Rule of thumb, sweet in winter and savoury in summer for carp. Brighter hookbaits in winter, to a lesser degree groundbait year round, as many species won't always wish to feed over light grounbait, this is where water clarity needs to be factored in, again rule of thumb, the water is generally clearer in winter when the silts drop out of it, bit can go clear in warmer weather too. Sweet year round for Bream/Tench, however I only target them March-June really. Hookbait choice is about colour too at times, bright winter, darker summer, the thinking being that sight is being used in clear water and smell in coloured water.

Because of all of that, having a go to or hedging bets may get a few fish, but also cost you fish at times. Trial and error really starting from a basic rule and across various venues foe me.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Billy Lane said he added aniseed oil to his groundbait, mainly because he believed in it.

Corn Master

Site Supporter
Generally is species specific yes and seasonal also imo. Rule of thumb, sweet in winter and savoury in summer for carp. Brighter hookbaits in winter, to a lesser degree groundbait year round, as many species won't always wish to feed over light grounbait, this is where water clarity needs to be factored in, again rule of thumb, the water is generally clearer in winter when the silts drop out of it, bit can go clear in warmer weather too. Sweet year round for Bream/Tench, however I only target them March-June really. Hookbait choice is about colour too at times, bright winter, darker summer, the thinking being that sight is being used in clear water and smell in coloured water.

Because of all of that, having a go to or hedging bets may get a few fish, but also cost you fish at times. Trial and error really starting from a basic rule and across various venues foe me.
Exactly. I think groundbait with spices or Krill/Tuna for example for carp when water temp rises say 15°. I've seen lads who douse Scopex on everything all year with no thoughts why they are using it
Day and night time temps are crucial to groundbait choices

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
my box near always contains 2 or 3 plastic tubs of my go-too flavourings

one of turmeric, one of all spice and one with brasem

the turmeric and all spice are mainly for the roach and are used sprinkled on maggot, and the brasem is always worth a tablespoonfull in amongst the brown crumb for bream

rudd

Three baits that nearly always work:
Bread
Maggot
Worm

Silverfisher

Rudd - I agree, if I could only take 3 baits every time it would be maggots, worms and bread with the latter coming in just ahead of casters. After that I’d go meat then pellets.