Are these wounds / marks from a predatory fish?

mbuna_matt

I seem to remember one venue used a laser to move them off - some sort of laser pointer might be useful if it has the range?

Albert H

Probably Cormorant's.

One of the venues I used to fish around here that used to be a fish a chuck has been decimated by the b*****ds in a matter of a few Months. 😥

Albert H

Cormorants normally feed at dawn or dusk best time to shoot them is after a good feed as they are slower to take off.
On the local venue I fished up until about a Month ago, I'd see 2 or 3 of them fishing a good 4 times in a 6 > 7 hour session and that was from about 1PM to darkness.

I wasn't even looking out for them and just sporadically noticed them, so god knows how many times they arrived between dawn & dusk.

What I do know, though, is they completely destroyed a "fish a chuck" water into a venue that I'd be lucky to catch a few on in a matter of a couple of Months just before I left it for pastures new.

It's so heartbreaking, and there were Roach in there at around the 1.5ib mark.

The venue had only just been stocked from totally empty around 2 years ago. 😥

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
On the local venue I fished up until about a Month ago, I'd see 2 or 3 of them fishing a good 4 times in a 6 > 7 hour session and that was from about 1PM to darkness.

I wasn't even looking out for them and just sporadically noticed them, so god knows how many times they arrived between dawn & dusk.

What I do know, though, is they completely destroyed a "fish a chuck" water into a venue that I'd be lucky to catch a few on in a matter of a couple of Months just before I left it for pastures new.

It's so heartbreaking, and there were Roach in there at around the 1.5ib mark.

The venue had only just been stocked from totally empty around 2 years ago. 😥
A reservoir in the midlands next to the A5 was restocked with 25,000 small carp after being drained for repairs and all the fish removed, no fishing was to be allowed to let the fish settle in and grow on a little.
After around 18 months a day was spent netting the whole reservoir to see how the fish were getting on prior to it opening again and British Waterways managed to locate just a handful of these stockies only to be informed by locals that around 20 cormorants were on the water 7 days a week happily eating everything.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
In the immortal words of Bruce Springsteen...

This gun's for hire... :cool:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Here's my latest acquisition for lake protection...we have a bit of a Mink problem...

.22 Co2 9 shot and 11.5ft.lb, so legal (just). It fires a 16gr pellet at 580fps. :giggle:

1571666161920.png

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

.22 Co2 9 shot and 11.5ft.lb, so legal (just). It fires a 16gr pellet at 780fps.
I recommend you check your sums, pellet weight or muzzle velocity. A 16gr pellet at 780fps is 21.62 ft.lb
To be legal, a pellet travelling at 780fps would need to be less than 8.9gr and is likely to be .177.
Pellet dependent, I'd expect to see a muzzle velocity of less than 600fps for a sub 12 ft.lb .22 air rifle.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Sam Vimes

Yes, you are correct, I was just reading the paperwork and about to edit the post. It's 580fps (I hit the wrong number).

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
@RedRidingHood

You can get them as a trial pack of 50, that's what I did, just to try them. Now I send for the tins of 200, a bit expensive but I've yet to find a better vermin pellet. They also take down Mink. By the way, the rifle is Co2 powered with 10 shot magazine.

And that fish is said to be a Carp, not Tench...though I have my doubts on it being a Carp, unless it's a strain I've not seen before.
Definitely a Tench.