Are these wounds / marks from a predatory fish?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Thanks again Ukzero. Will see what the council have to say and I'll do routine checks early in the mornings while other anglers pull up then they can take over until any action is taken.

I just don't want to get in trouble... I've got access to suitable pieces but the pond is located in a pretty public area. lol.
You'd certainly get into trouble if caught or grassed on. Especially if there's no licence to shoot them in the first place.

My rifle...

Rifle.jpg

And ammo...

Hornet Pellet.jpg

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
You'd certainly get into trouble if caught or grassed on. Especially if there's no licence to shoot them in the first place.
Yeah, Definitely not worth the risk. Just frustrating knowing nothing is being done about it by the people who can take action, even more frustrating knowing I can deal with it myself but I'm not authorised to! :(

Ah well, I guess I'll see what happens. Just messaged the committee member again also with pictures.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@RedRidingHood

Yeah, Definitely not worth the risk. Just frustrating knowing nothing is being done about it by the people who can take action, even more frustrating knowing I can deal with it myself but I'm not authorised to! :(

Ah well, I guess I'll see what happens. Just messaged the committee member again also with pictures.
Look again above your last post mate, I've edited my last post to show my 'tools of the trade' so to speak.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
@RedRidingHood

Look again above your last post mate, I've edited my last post to show my 'tools of the trade' so to speak.
Stunning rifle, I can get access to both spring and gas rifles but I've never seen those pellets as we just used standard pellets for rats and other vermin. What are they called? Really hard to see from the small picture.

Gwillim

This video was on the other thread about Cormorants the other day

Amazing the size of fish they will eat in comparison to their body size!

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
@RedRidingHood

Here's where I buy mine, there's a better pic...

Thanks mate, Will probably end up grabbing a packet of these!

This video was on the other thread about Cormorants the other day

Amazing the size of fish they will eat in comparison to their body size!

Good lord! that was a big tench. The one at our lake isn't as big as that one though.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@RedRidingHood
Thanks mate, Will probably end up grabbing a packet of these!

Good lord! that was a big tench. The one at our lake isn't as big as that one though.
You can get them as a trial pack of 50, that's what I did, just to try them. Now I send for the tins of 200, a bit expensive but I've yet to find a better vermin pellet. They also take down Mink. By the way, the rifle is Co2 powered with 10 shot magazine.

And that fish is said to be a Carp, not Tench...though I have my doubts on it being a Carp, unless it's a strain I've not seen before.

Sam Vimes

It's a council owned lake that is rented and ran by a committee. The committee don't really care it seems though because it was reported weeks ago by several people including myself. It was said they were going to put ropes across the water to stop them landing / getting out or something but thus far nothing has been done about it at all.
If it's council owned, there's a fair chance that they won't be allowed to do anything. There's little chance of getting permission to shoot even if they could get a licence from Natural England. I suspect that just using a blank firer on council land, unless there's no public access (unusual on council owned land), is likely to be problematical. You may also find that the council won't want ropes strung across the water. If these factors aren't an issue for the council, simply dealing with them can take an age. I'd be wary of condemning the committee that runs the water out of hand. There's a good chance of them being hamstrung.

Gwillim

Not so many laws on fireworks though ;) there's some flipping loud ones out there!

ukzero1

Site Supporter
You may also find that the council won't want ropes strung across the water. If these factors aren't an issue for the council, simply dealing with them can take an age. I'd be wary of condemning the committee that runs the water out of hand. There's a good chance of them being hamstrung.
That's the reason for mentioning any clause that might be in the lease. It has to be read carefully.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not needed mate. .22 gas powered air rifle with red dot sights and silencer. Pete 2 - Cormorants 0 :upthumb:
Got one here Peter. An Air Arms 410 with a racky silencer, 5 x 52 electro dot sights and an NS 50 mounted on the top for shooting rabbits on a night. I still prefer my 12g silver pigeon though. I like to make a big mess you see Peter. 😆😆😆

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
If it's council owned, there's a fair chance that they won't be allowed to do anything. There's little chance of getting permission to shoot even if they could get a licence from Natural England. I suspect that just using a blank firer on council land, unless there's no public access (unusual on council owned land), is likely to be problematical. You may also find that the council won't want ropes strung across the water. If these factors aren't an issue for the council, simply dealing with them can take an age. I'd be wary of condemning the committee that runs the water out of hand. There's a good chance of them being hamstrung.
They've had the ropes across before, Thats why I'm confused as to why no action has been taken yet.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Got one here Peter. An Air Arms 410 with a racky silencer, 5 x 52 electro dot sights and an NS 50 mounted on the top for shooting rabbits on a night. I still prefer my 12g silver pigeon though. I like to make a big mess you see Peter. 😆😆😆
Blimey, you after making feather pillows? :LOL:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Cormorants normally feed at dawn or dusk best time to shoot them is after a good feed as they are slower to take off.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Cormorants normally feed at dawn or dusk best time to shoot them is after a good feed as they are slower to take off.
Among other solutions, I've decided against shooting it.

Small update

Ropes have been put across the lake now.
Hopefully this helps / causes a prevention.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Trouble is that if you dont get rid of them quickly they tend to bring their mates with them as several hunting together confuses the fish even more and makes for easier pickings.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Trouble is that if you dont get rid of them quickly they tend to bring their mates with them as several hunting together confuses the fish even more and makes for easier pickings.
Yeah thats understandable, And I've pondered it but it's not worth the risk for me. The pond is situated in the public right next to a childrens park, I have no doubt that I could dispatch it efficiently if I spent the day over there with a rifle hidden in my rod bag along with getting away with it but if on the offchance I don't it just isn't worth the legal trouble I could face. To do otherwise just seems a bit reckless over the sake of a few fish.

In all honesty, I'm just a regular member, these types of issues shouldn't be left to me.
I spoke to a committee member and the ropes have been put across, albeit a bit late.
I'm hopeful this will help the situation.