Are these wounds / marks from a predatory fish?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
So I've been catching quite a few fish down my local recently that have fresh wounds similar to the ones pictured below.

I had caught that Koi twice within 2 weeks, The original time I caught it the wound appeared very similar to the wounds pictured on the skimmer, This picture is from the second time where I caught it showing how the wound has healed over that time, Other than the Koi, Most of the fish with these wounds only appears to have them on one side of their body and I'm really starting to question if this wounds are from predatory fish or not.

If a Pike was hitting these skimmers, wouldn't there be wounds on both sides of the body? Potentially a Zander?

It's said theres Pike in the pond, But there shouldn't be many and I'm getting concerned with how many of the fish I'm catching are coming out wounded like this as the pond already has very little fish stocks.

Attachments

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
If not what could be causing these wounds? The pegs are made of concrete so I've pondered weather the fish have been scraping their sides along the pegs as they move around the lake.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
thats not pike marks, looks like beak marks from where a bird has had hold of it before its got away

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Definitely bird strikes, probably Cormorant.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Thank you all.

Not sure why I didn't think of the Cormorant, So it confirms thats the issue as it has been sighted over the past few weeks and I did* see it once myself one evening and an old chap who also fishes there scared it off. Hadn't seen it in a while so I thought maybe it'd pissed off completely, apparently not. I don't know much about them but I thought they mostly hit smaller silvers so this is quite annoying to see as the small amount of bream in our pond make up the majority of the weights (And it's mostly what I fish for).

Not sure why nobody on our local has done anything about this yet, supposedly ropes are being put out to prevent them from landing but it was reported to them way over two weeks ago now.

Anything I can do about this? Anybody I can possibly ring? Am I allowed to shoot it?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Anything I can do about this? Anybody I can possibly ring? Am I allowed to shoot it?
Report it to the owner/bailiff. Is the fishery licenced to shoot Cormorants?

Cormorants are protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (WCA) and the EU Birds Directive, making it illegal to kill them or to take or destroy their eggs and nests (when in use or being built), except under licence. They cannot therefore simply be shot to cull them, except under licence.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter

Cormorants are protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (WCA) and the EU Birds Directive, making it illegal to kill them or to take or destroy their eggs and nests (when in use or being built), except under licence. They cannot therefore simply be shot to cull them, except under licence.
It's a council owned lake that is rented and ran by a committee. The committee don't really care it seems though because it was reported weeks ago by several people including myself. It was said they were going to put ropes across the water to stop them landing / getting out or something but thus far nothing has been done about it at all.

I don't believe they have any type of license regarding killing them.

This is not cool though, This pond has suffered Otters only a few years ago which decimated the fish stocks, Add the fact that theres pike and a gazillion perch in the pond which wipe out any fry; The fish aren't recovering, And now this which is making things a million times worse of course.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
It's a council owned lake that is rented and ran by a committee. The committee don't really care it seems though because it was reported weeks ago by several people including myself. It was said they were going to put ropes across the water to stop them landing / getting out or something but thus far nothing has been done about it at all.

I don't believe they have any type of license regarding killing them.

This is not cool though, This pond has suffered Otters only a few years ago which decimated the fish stocks, Add the fact that theres pike and a gazillion perch in the pond which wipe out any fry; The fish aren't recovering, And now this which is making things a million times worse of course.
If the committee is doing nothing, then you could drop the council a line explaining the situation. As owners they will have to do something about it. There could be something in the lease regarding matters like this and if the committee is ignoring the fact then they need to face what's coming to them. If enough anglers do this then the council will take notice and step in.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
If the committee is doing nothing, then you could drop the council a line explaining the situation. As owners they will have to do something about it. There could be something in the lease regarding matters like this and if the committee is ignoring the fact then they need to face what's coming to them. If enough anglers do this then the council will take notice and step in.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll give them a bell Monday morning and see what they say about it, I'll also advise a few of the other fishermen over there to pester them too. It'd appear that the Cormorant is only visiting early in the mornings (This is when it's mostly seen) so I'll try pop over there and see if I can scare it off meanwhile until other Anglers get over there.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
If you phone them it'll start the ball rolling (hopefully), but they might ask for it in writing. We had a Cormorant (and Mink) problem but the committee acted and got permission to shoot them, although the numbers we could shoot is limited (but who's counting).
They are not an easy bird to scare off, but a few pebbles or steel ball bearings fired at them with a catty should put them off a bit.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
If you phone them it'll start the ball rolling (hopefully), but they might ask for it in writing. We had a Cormorant (and Mink) problem but the committee acted and got permission to shoot them, although the numbers we could shoot is limited (but who's counting).
They are not an easy bird to scare off, but a few pebbles or steel ball bearings fired at them with a catty should put them off a bit.
Either is fine with me. I'm more pissed because I originally thought they were just taking the odd few Roach or Perch off the top which we have plenty of (Well Perch Atleast) I wasn't aware they were capable of taking fish of these types of sizes. It'd be great if one of the committee could get a license to shoot it because it's obviously causing major issues just based on how many fish Im catching with exactly the same marks. By the time I'm finished I'll have half the members writing complains to the council. ha.

Will be sure to pop over there every morning from now on though just to make sure it's not nabbing fish while nobody is about.

I'm assuming they're not nocturnal then?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
If you're asked to put it in writing, enclose as many pics as possible to show the damage as proof. Also try to get other anglers to sign the letter.
They can strike at any time but early morning seems to be the 'norm', just as it's breaking daylight, you can't rule out other times of day though. It would also help if you could get a photo of the cormorant.

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I was looking at a shotgun with a built in silencer the other day. I'm only saying 😲😆😆😆

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
If you're asked to put it in writing, enclose as many pics as possible to show the damage as proof. Also try to get other anglers to sign the letter.
They can strike at any time but early morning seems to be the 'norm', just as it's breaking daylight, you can't rule out other times of day though.
Thanks again Ukzero. Will see what the council have to say and I'll do routine checks early in the mornings while other anglers pull up then they can take over until any action is taken.

I was looking at a shotgun with a built in silencer the other day. I'm only saying 😲😆😆😆
I just don't want to get in trouble... I've got access to suitable pieces but the pond is located in a pretty public area. lol.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Not needed mate. .22 gas powered air rifle with red dot sights and silencer. Pete 2 - Cormorants 0 :upthumb: