Anyone catching crucians yet?

CJROSCOW

Clint
As the title asks. I usually fish a little pond at this time of year thsts stuffed with small tench and a decent head of nice crucians. Its pretty neglected but i only uually fish it in the six weeks running up to Easter as after that it gets hammered by kids throwing all kinds of bait in but never catching much. I've visited four times in the last month and not caught much more than a handfull of roach. This time last year I was catching 25-35lb bags of small tench, nice roach and crucians. Strange or are the night temperatures still keeping the water temp down and they haven't woken up yet?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
had one today, two foulhooked a week ago and two on two separate sessions before that.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
None showing in our club lakes yet (that I know of),

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
In a word - no.

It's been a cold Spring up here in East Yorkshire, and even today, we've got a chilly Eastery breeze straight off the sea, with overnight frosts forecast for the next couple of days.
And the deeper waters seem to be suffering most, just don't seem to be warming up as they normally would.
Even the roach waters are not producing the larger size of specimen fish yet.

As you say, last year was a different story.
Where in the country are you based?

CJROSCOW

Clint
I won't worry yet then. It's a lovely little pond. First place I ever fished and brings back lovely memories fishing there. It's on a bit of council green land thsts mostly frequented by dog walkers. Other than the council occasionally digging out the reed beds/banks to reduce flooding it's never been stocked or maintained. Was starting to worry it had been better or a fish kill. One of the very few places other than tge canal where i can fish light on the pole and enjoy a good fight with everything without a carp tearing off with my rig. Might try a few hours early Saturday before rugby.

CJROSCOW

Clint
Lancashire. So yes. Probably need the nights to level out at over 10 degrees before the water warms up enough for cruies. The roach caught on Saturday felt very cold!

smiffy

It would be nice if I could find a water with a head of Crucians in rather than goldfish. The nights are still cold enough to keep them from feeding properly yet. Did manage 5 Bream over 7lb last Sunday though,from a local gravel pit that is notoriously slow in waking up for spring. So there is still hope (y)

tedstriker

have had plenty out of a club lake that's stocked with them from a few ounces to around 2lb, first session towards end of feb had 20 out and a session 3 weeks ago i had 14 out

Corn Master

Site Supporter
Been catching too many of them. Not my favourite, pesky little buggers

derwentboy

Yes, my lad had a few out yesterday on worm...in about 3 foot of water..at Mere Lane Fishery in Lancashire.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Been fishing " that" lake in surrey for a big one but they are still rare as hens teeth.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I had a bucket of water standing outside last night , it had a layer of ice on it this morning and l live in Hampshire for gods sake.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Lincolnshire, was catching them in February in the nice warm week we had.

nejohn

Inlaws caravan season opened the week before last so had to have a visit to Tenby at the weekend...to make it more attractive Kathy always says I should have a few hours at Holgan Farm so it would be rude not to take her up on it, had a fair few crucians from the crucian lake on Satuarday afternoon, but not as confident feeding as they are when it is warmer