anybody remember

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The good old days when charities were happy to get whatever you could afford to give?

Now-a-days there seems to be a trend of telling you how much you are going to give them, text/ring this number to give £3, £5 £10 etc a month!

I'll stick with the old fashioned way and give when i want and how much i want, i wonder how many people have felt pressurised into giving money they can't really afford to give?

I saw a program last year about chuggers (charity muggers) and cold callers, one old lass was in massive debt, hardly had any food and never had the heating etc on in her flat because she'd been upping her donations to numerous charities when they'd called, she didn't have the heart to say no to them because "they needed more than she did".

Personally i think it's about time a full indepth investigation was carried out on all charities, find out just where the paper chain leads and to what, check the claims about the money being spent, make sure it is being spent properly and not just propping up the lifestyles of the charities hierarchy.

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
I’m doing a half marathon in May for Macmillan cancer support and I can’t run unless I raise £350.
I can understand there being a minimum amount to cover the cost of the running vest and running pack but that can’t amount to more than £15-£20 surely?

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
What really P.sses me off mate is the Salaries the CEO's are on :mad: :mad: Like Foreign Aid collecting money from poor people in a rich country and sending it to rich people in a poor country.

Total

Site Supporter
@Trogg.....Having worked for one of the largest charities in the past, in an engineering capacity, I could tell you some stories that would even make your hair curl mate. :(

Steadyeddie 1

Site Supporter
The good old days when charities were happy to get whatever you could afford to give?

Now-a-days there seems to be a trend of telling you how much you are going to give them, text/ring this number to give £3, £5 £10 etc a month!

I'll stick with the old fashioned way and give when i want and how much i want, i wonder how many people have felt pressurised into giving money they can't really afford to give?

I saw a program last year about chuggers (charity muggers) and cold callers, one old lass was in massive debt, hardly had any food and never had the heating etc on in her flat because she'd been upping her donations to numerous charities when they'd called, she didn't have the heart to say no to them because "they needed more than she did".

Personally i think it's about time a full indepth investigation was carried out on all charities, find out just where the paper chain leads and to what, check the claims about the money being spent, make sure it is being spent properly and not just propping up the lifestyles of the charities hierarchy.

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
I had a canvasser for a charity knock on my door a few years ago, I think it might have been for the heart foundation or something similar.
I could not believe how pushy they tried to be and wouldn’t take no for an answer, It’s no wonder so many old people feel pressured into signing up when people like that show up at their door.
I’m a very patient person and can probably count on one hand the amount of times I’ve told someone to do one over the years but after a few minutes of being grilled by this young lad about donating to his charity I told him where to go. He even went as far as to point at the cars on my drive and tell me I’ve clearly got a few bob.
Total leeches.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
If you total up the amount you are being asked to donate monthly, via tv ads, it would come to over £100 per month. I can't afford that and I am also sceptical about how it is used. As Trogg has already said, there should be an investigation into where the money goes.

How often are we asked to donate money that will actually be used to help people in the UK? Whenever there is a crisis in the world we always seem to be one of the first countries to send money.
How many countries sent money over here when a lot of the country was flooded?
Why do we need food banks.
Why do we still have, genuine, people homeless.
Charity should begin at home but it is a sad world where we actually need them.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
@Trogg.....Having worked for one of the largest charities in the past, in an engineering capacity, I could tell you some stories that would even make your hair curl mate. :(
I did a job for a builder who was working on a top charity ceo's house a few Christmas 's ago. When we had finished the job the CEO said he wanted to take us all out for a meal along with our wives. Afterwards the ladies could go on to a pub or club while us blokes could go on to Spearmint Rhinos strip club. All paid for by the charity. I was appaled. Its already been said in a previous post but, these companies / individuals need investigating. Set of low lives. 😠

baboboy

Site Supporter
We donate to a local cat rescue every month. We used to make a payment to another charity which all came to a head a fair few years ago. We got a random call saying thanks for all your support over the years Yada yada then got told that we've been paying the same amount and it's not been amended to reflect inflation. The conversation ended and the direct debit was cancelled. Couldn't believe the cheek!

Last edited:

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
You know what l do part time for charity and every penny goes to the charity I'm collecting for. Our favourite charities are guide dogs and lifeboats these two charities get all the money we get for selling our plants.
We know that certain charities do not use the money wisely and very little actually get through to those that need it and for whom the money was collected for.
Of I'm correct l believe a certain children's charity who used to have homes no longer do but have call centres instead. This type of thing really gets on my mamories
🤬🤬🤬🤬

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've been saying the same for years Trogg. I believe the actual figure they have to give to the cause is something like 30% of monies raised, the rest can legitimately be used on 'admin' which includes wages, running costs, etc, etc,

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
My mother was for a number of years a payroll manager for one of the largest children's charities.
Suffice to say that they will never receive a penny from me. :mad:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’m doing a half marathon in May for Macmillan cancer support and I can’t run unless I raise £350.
I can understand there being a minimum amount to cover the cost of the running vest and running pack but that can’t amount to more than £15-£20 surely?
We donate to a local cat rescue every month. We used to make a payment to another charity which all came to a head a fair few years ago. We got a random call saying thanks for all your support over the years Yada yada then got told that we've been paying the same amount and it's not been amended to reflect inflation. The conversation ended and the direct debit was cancelled. Couldn't believe the cheek!
I used to run music gigs, i'd pay for everything out of my own pocket and the money raised from the gig would go to MacMillan as a thank you for all the help they gave the wife and i.

Last one we raised over £350, two weeks later i get a call thanking me and asking me if i'd like to make it a monthly donation!
I explained that it was a fundraiser and instead of asking me if i would like to make a donation the woman asked me how much would i like to donate each month instead of £350!

I told her not to call again and they had just lost a supporter who has raised a hell of a lot of money for them...i then rang a friend who is a Mac nurse, she went mad when i told her and told me that it wasn't MacMillans but a company that is paid to cold call to raise funds.

Apparently all the nurses were against it but the bosses insisted it would raise millions.... she rang me a few days later to tell me she'd told her bosses and they had passed the message on to the head office....the reply "we aren't going to miss one supporter" ............. they haven't had a penny from me since.

A chap i used to work for took his wife to the HQ of Oxfam for an interview, he said he was disgusted when he saw the oak panelled walls and old paintings ahnging on the walls but he was even more disgusted when he walked into the interviewers office with his wife and he "sank" into the deep pile carpet and saw the interviewer sat behind a big marble desk!

I've spoken to a lot of people from numerous different charities mate, some of them very prominant and well supported but the stories these people have told me have as you say shocked even me... one bought a helicopter and took pilot lessons because he felt "at risk" driving to appointments etc and after all, he deserved a little "perk" for his work!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
I "Do" two charities

regular amounts each month to The Dogs Trust and the RNLI

both of which are dear to my heart, the first because of the two pups I have adopted from there, and the second because I personally know a couple of mates who would not be here now if that charity wasnt in force

now wether all my donation actually gets to the point of use, is debateable, but I know some of it does, and thats good enough for me

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Unfortunately there will never be any investigation into charities, the big ones that is, because there are too many vested interests and just like the City, everyone is interlinked. I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine.

For four years I was chairman of a small local charity, a member organisation of the national charity. We didn't need to raise money as such. Our outgoings were mainly met from membership subscriptions. Changes to the national charity that were totally unlawful and unnecessary in my opinion made me resign my membership and chairmanship. The outcome of the changes was that the national charity are able to grab money from the groups like the one I chaired and take it into their central funds so they can expand head office. I wrote several pages of observations, criticisms and questions yet was never allowed to really question the people responsible for pushing through the changes. The sad thing was that many of the groups and their committees didn't understand all the legal documentation that they were bombarded with and thus just accepted what they were told, that the changes were good and necessary. There never was a true debate and vote on the changes.

I am still a trustee and committee member of a related but independent charity. Our funds are generated from magazine advertising.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter

Iv be saying this for ages. And the other thing is every other advertisement on the tv is asking for money, it costs thousands for an advert on tv.
They try to make you feel guilty, they have stars and celebrity tell you need to this that, and all of them have millions. Enough from me.

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
Iv be saying this for ages. And the other thing is every other advertisement on the tv is asking for money, it costs thousands for an advert on tv.
They try to make you feel guilty, they have stars and celebrity tell you need to this that, and all of them have millions. Enough from me.
I think someone posted this on here a while back. Aside from ITV and some of the bigger channels advertising is much cheaper than you Would expect.

probably explains why you see so many ads for charities and cheap goods on the lesser channel like GOLD.

I do agree with what you say though, if you are running an advert on every break every day then it’s going to add up!

Total

Site Supporter
A chap i used to work for took his wife to the HQ of Oxfam for an interview, he said he was disgusted when he saw the oak panelled walls and old paintings ahnging on the walls but he was even more disgusted when he walked into the interviewers office with his wife and he "sank" into the deep pile carpet and saw the interviewer sat behind a big marble desk!

I've spoken to a lot of people from numerous different charities mate, some of them very prominant and well supported but the stories these people have told me have as you say shocked even me... one bought a helicopter and took pilot lessons because he felt "at risk" driving to appointments etc and after all, he deserved a little "perk" for his work!
I can only recall my experiences from the charity I worked for mate.....When I first started working for them all was 'rosy'....My naivety of the situation I was in soon became apparent to me as I experienced situations about me at work and morally it didn't sit well with me and soon realised me being part of this system was wrong.....I left there and walked away.....

Charities are big business, some good, some bloody awful....Charity begins at home and ventures from there. If/as/when I become involved with a charity or some local effort I prefer to do things anonymously be it with money, help etc and strictly on my terms or not at all....(y)

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
I think someone posted this on here a while back. Aside from ITV and some of the bigger channels advertising is much cheaper than you Would expect.

probably explains why you see so many ads for charities and cheap goods on the lesser channel like GOLD.

I do agree with what you say though, if you are running an advert on every break every day then it’s going to add up!
There even say leave somthing in your will, they have solicitors who will alter your will for free, they do nothing for free, they will take there cut of what you leave.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
If you sign up to donate to a charity, do it via their own website, as with the chuggers and door knockers, they take such a large amount that it can take years of your monthly payments before the charity see anything.